Speed sensor

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.

Speed sensor

Postby theknight1 » February 16th, 2017, 4:53 pm

My speed sensor for Concept2 model A seems to be broken...not sure if this is the cable or not. What does the signal supposed to look like if I connect it to a oscilloscope?
theknight1
Paddler

Re: Speed sensor

Postby Ombrax » February 16th, 2017, 8:49 pm

I thought the Model A was all mechanical, no electronics.

Was yours upgraded?
Ombrax
1k Poster

Postby jamesg » February 17th, 2017, 2:36 am

A series of impulses at around 30 Hz, if it's like more recent machines: three magnets and a coil. The wheel spins (guess) at 500 to 700 rpm.

Much thanks to Messrs Newton and Faraday, without whom we'd still be pulling wooden oars.
77y, 188cm, 85kg, MHR 170. 3km/h in water, 10km/h on. Last 2k (1-16) 8.10@26
jamesg
10k Poster

Postby Ombrax » February 17th, 2017, 2:52 pm

jamesg wrote:A series of impulses at around 30 Hz, if it's like more recent machines: three magnets and a coil. The wheel spins (guess) at 500 to 700 rpm.

This is a slight drift, but related to the OP's question, so hopefully he won't mind:

Given what I assume to be a fixed sensor coil and the three magnets that are on the flywheel, what's the difference between models, say C vs D or E?

I ask because I recently upgraded my Model C from a PM 2+ to a PM 3, and when I first connected the PM 3 to the sensor wire and rowed a few strokes nothing happened - I had forgotten that I had to change the model setting on the PM 3 to "C." I did that, and everything's been fine. The fact that the PM 3 needs to know what model it's on suggest that there must be some differences between the sensing hardware from model to model rower.
Ombrax
1k Poster

Postby Carl Watts » February 17th, 2017, 5:47 pm

The Model A, B, C used a 3 magnet system, the Model D has a totally different system, possibly a 12 pole magnetic ring and a complete circuit board that is actually capable of putting out enough power to charge the batteries in the PM4.

The later version went through at least 3 revisions with a single coil and some through hole components to the later version which has a twin coil and surface mounted components.

I notice the latest version now uses a plug on the cable to the monitor thats a better fit due to the smaller diameter and the end of it is shaped so you can get your fingers on it better to grip it to pull it out.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log
Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Postby Ombrax » February 17th, 2017, 8:04 pm

Thanks Carl - I didn't know that.
Ombrax
1k Poster

Return to Indoor Rowers