Using E-Model Erg in cold temperatures

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.

Using E-Model Erg in cold temperatures

Postby Brock » September 21st, 2017, 9:27 pm

Does anybody know of a minimum air temperature for the E-Model Erg to safety be used without causing it damage. I will be keeping it in my unheated garage during the winter where it can get slightly below freezing if the outside air temperature nears 10 degrees F or so.

My concern is for the bungee cords really, as they are probably the only thing that could be compromised in moderately cold temperatures. I can see the inner bands getting brittle and breaking in the cold, but I just don't know how cold.
Brock
Paddler

Re: Using E-Model Erg in cold temperatures

Postby Carl Watts » September 22nd, 2017, 1:13 am

Shouldn't be a problem for any of the rower except maybe the LCD screen on the monitor, the contrast may change with really low temperatures but you can adjust it using the LCD Contrast setting.

I have fixed some PM2 monitors because the LCD screen fades away when I put it in the freezer to test it but this is more of a component failure and replacing it fixed the problem.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log
Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Postby c2jonw » September 22nd, 2017, 8:41 am

Storing it in colder temperatures only becomes a problem in the sub-zero F ranges- at that point you might want to bring the monitor indoors to minimize the chances of damage to the LCD. No harm will come to the bungee cords. If you plan to use the machine at lower temperatures there are a couple things to be aware of: 1) the return will be sluggish, which will get better as you use the machine and the cord "warms up". 2) the clutch may slip at the catch due to the lubricant in the mechanism getting thicker in the cold. This will also improve as you use the machine and the lubricant warms up. C2JonW
66 year old living in Waterbury Center, Vermont, USA
Concept2 employee since 1980! and what a long, strange trip it's been......
c2jonw
5k Poster

Postby Brock » September 22nd, 2017, 8:56 am

Thank you very much for the replies. I typically do not see temperatures much lower than 30 degrees F in the garage, so it sounds like that will not be an issue. I will plan to just Row On.
Brock
Paddler

Postby jackarabit » September 22nd, 2017, 3:49 pm

If a 75W incandescent in a troublelight placed under your crankcase can keep motor oil at an acceptable viscosity at sub O° temp., it can do the same for the lube in the flywheel clutch at 30°F.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_70_5'-7"_164lb
Training Log
jackarabit
Half Marathon Poster

Postby Carl Watts » September 22nd, 2017, 5:02 pm

jackarabit wrote:If a 75W incandescent in a troublelight placed under your crankcase can keep motor oil at an acceptable viscosity at sub O° temp., it can do the same for the lube in the flywheel clutch at 30°F.

You probably need a second one under the seat as well to stop you sticking to it ! :lol:
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log
Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Postby Brock » September 22nd, 2017, 5:59 pm

I could always keep the business end inside near the pellet stove until I wish to row as well. That's probably the answer to the very cold days. The OAT needs to be 15F or less to reach 32F in the garage, and those days are limited where I am in southern CT.
Brock
Paddler

Postby Slidewinder » October 12th, 2017, 11:34 am

I live in an area that can sometimes sees temperatures of -30C in winter. I always kept my Model D in my unheated garage because I didn't want to look at it every day. Unfortunately, this also meant that on very cold days, it was unusable, because the shock cord had lost all elasticity. One of my early "gravity handle return" prototypes (referenced in the "Locked" but still current thread, "Interchangeability of C2's in terms of performance") was my Model D, but modified. I removed the shock cord and all associated hardware, and reconfigured the device to return the handle via gravity. It worked perfectly, even on those -30C days.

This information will not please certain regular participants in this forum who believe any and all non-C2 ideas to be without merit, and therefore unworthy of consideration, but for those who take a more open view of mechanical design possibilities with respect to rowing ergometers in general, this is something to reflect upon.
Slidewinder
1k Poster

Return to Indoor Rowers