2nd hand Concept 'C' or 'D' - advice needed

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.

2nd hand Concept 'C' or 'D' - advice needed

Postby greyhound » February 12th, 2018, 10:04 am

I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand Concept 'C' or 'D'. Use would be for a UK family - parents plus teenage son. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks!
greyhound
Paddler

Re: 2nd hand Concept 'C' or 'D' - advice needed

Postby Ombrax » February 12th, 2018, 11:48 pm

Unless the Model C Performance Monitor (aka "PM") has been upgraded, I think the most significant difference could be in the PM. There are non-trivial differences between the PM2 (what is likely on the C) and the PM3 (or 4, or 5) that probably came with the D. The C2 web site will explain the upgrades.

Regarding the machines themselves, if they're both in equally good condition then IMO there isn't much difference between a C and a D as far how well they help you exercise and how well they simulate OTW rowing. If there's a dramatic difference in price and you'd like to save some money, then a C will work just fine, as long as it's in decent shape and the PM is working well.

A while back I upgraded the PM on my C from a PM2+ to a used PM3, but these days most of my rowing is on an E at the gym, not because my C doesn't work, it's fine, but because the gym has a lot more equipment than I do at home.

Good Luck
Ombrax
1k Poster

Postby greyhound » February 14th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Thanks for the very helpful advice!
greyhound
Paddler

Postby Carl Watts » February 14th, 2018, 6:43 pm

All depends on the price and the condition of the rower.

You cannot rely on the Odometer on any of the monitors. It can be reset to zero on the PM2 and on the PM3/4 its reset with an older firmware update and also the monitor doesn't record the "Just Rows". I have serviced plenty of PM3 monitors going back to 2003 that still showed 0 meters.

A model C can me made into a model D with a few new parts, the difference is the flywheel shaft and the sprocket. Get a new chain and fit a new shock cord and it will feel the same as a D.

Its the condition of the rower that is important unless your good mechanically and want to totally rebuild it, which is not hard if your a mechanic but if you don't even own a screwdriver then I suggest you buy a brand new Model D.

All the monitors give you the critical results, the PM3 and 4 will be more useful with the logcard if say a rowing coach is involved and you also want to upload your reselts rather than just view them and have to manually write them into a spreadsheet in the case of a PM2.

Personally I find that all the rowers secondhand over here are way over priced and people don't know the difference between the "D1" and the "D2" and end up saving only a few hundred bucks on 13 year old rower compared to a brand new one delivered to your door with a warranty.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log
Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Postby Dreadfish » February 14th, 2018, 7:02 pm

Hi Carl

ive been keeping an eye out for a erg but as you say the asking price in some cases is ridiculous. for the extra couple of hundred a new one is far better value than a 5 yo or in some cases older C or D with a PM2/3

i have just seen a model C with PM2 at over 10 years old go for just about half the price ($1000) of a new one and thats the lowest i have seen in the last 3 months
the other one was a model D with PM3 (some damage to screen but no impact on use) this one went for just under $1400.
was a bit tempted on both these but she who must be obeyed said F off :lol:
Erik
54 yo from New Zealand
6'4 and 120kg
Dreadfish
1k Poster

Postby Carl Watts » February 14th, 2018, 7:34 pm

Dreadfish wrote:Hi Carl

ive been keeping an eye out for a erg but as you say the asking price in some cases is ridiculous. for the extra couple of hundred a new one is far better value than a 5 yo or in some cases older C or D with a PM2/3

i have just seen a model C with PM2 at over 10 years old go for just about half the price ($1000) of a new one and thats the lowest i have seen in the last 3 months
the other one was a model D with PM3 (some damage to screen but no impact on use) this one went for just under $1400.
was a bit tempted on both these but she who must be obeyed said F off :lol:

Yes those selling on trade me can be just crazy with over 100 watchers. I bought both my Model C and D2 brand new and got the D1 for free as it was on the floor in bits.

Yes $1375 for an old model D1 with a PM3 with a blotch on the display had 118 watchers. You wouldn't get that price in comparison with a 15 year old car. It should have sold for about $600.

The USD exchange rate has really made a big difference, when it was 0.87 the price of a new one was down to like NZ$1850 but now at only 0.69 the price has increased to like NZ$2400. Unless your in a real hurry for a new one, then just wait for the rates to improve. When you consider you can get one new in the USA for USD$900 we pay a lot for them over here.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log
Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Postby Dreadfish » February 14th, 2018, 8:24 pm

unfortunately i have a bad habit of buying new. i have been bit too many times buying second hand. my wife isnt too happy with it and to a degree i doubt that a second hand erg will be an issue. im thinking that i may sell off two of my kayaks to fund it :D. my wife is constantly nagging me to sell them as i dont use them as much as i did. if i sell 2 that still leaves me with my good one to use. will look again middle of the year although my kayaks dont appear to have the same resell value as a second hand erg :lol:
Erik
54 yo from New Zealand
6'4 and 120kg
Dreadfish
1k Poster

Return to Indoor Rowers