Rowing in Zwift (high quality software) who's interested?

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.

Re: Rowing in Zwift (high quality software) who's interested

Postby exerscreen » January 12th, 2018, 6:03 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone! The iOS version of PainSled is starting to settle a bit in terms of bugs. Now it's time to think about whether I can take on the Android port, once again :) I had wondered how the cycling experience would work out with a rower and I'm happy to see that it's a reasonable fit. It might be heretical to say here, but I'm not sure simulating a rowing experience in the same way would work as well as just pretending you're a cyclist. Rowers are generally not found in a pack (unless something really bad has happened!), and then there's the whole looking backwards thing. Perhaps putting everyone in eights or those 24-rower Stamplfli monstrosities would work?

Thoughts?

Rick, PainSled Maker
exerscreen
500m Poster

Postby dr3do » January 13th, 2018, 4:46 am

exerscreen wrote:and then there's the whole looking backwards thing.

Agree. In RL there‘s this (a bit stupid looking) RowBike. I could imagine, that an avatar like this would be a good compromise for Zwift.

exerscreen wrote:Thoughts?

If I had the choice, I would go with…

• Bike = Bike
  • RowErg = RowBike*
  • SkiErg = RollSki* (double pole, diagonal)
  • Run = Run

* = With the implementaion of RowBike and RollSki „profiles“ the effort for Zwift would be in a good relation. RollSki users would use the same roads like Runners do and no need for new snowy worlds. RowBikers would use the same roads, but would have a new bike.

For me the benefits of Zwift are…

• there are others (suffering?) too – means I‘m not „alone, forgot and lost“ in my paincave, can jump on my RowErg/SkiErg whenever I like (or have time), there‘s always someone online.
  • I‘m not starring every single day at the same fu**ing boring wall/PM
  • with that visual entertainment time passes away much (!!!) better
  • as row/ski are (from perspective of watt output) by far not that efficient as bike, I find it quite motivating to try to keep up with cyclists.
  • Gives me the possibility to do group rides, where I usually have to put up my weight by several kg, when using the the bike.

Cheers,
Boris
Boris (Bike/SkiErg/RowErg/Run)
dr3do
Paddler

Postby exerscreen » January 13th, 2018, 9:51 am

dr3do wrote:as row/ski are (from perspective of watt output) by far not that efficient as bike, I find it quite motivating to try to keep up with cyclists.

Boris,

PainSled applies a multiplier to get a rough match between row/ski and the cycling power levels in Zwift. This is kind of an intractable problem given that the actual sports are very different in real life. For example, a world class rower might have a physiology tuned for 5 minute sprints that are basically drag races. An equivalently elite cyclist might be optimized for 3-4 hour rides with flats, climbs, and decents. At the moment I multiply rowing watts by 1.25 to get cycling watts. The SkiErg multiplier is 1.5. I have a few testers who do Zwift on both bikes and the rower and they are giving me some feedback on how their FTP equates on both machines.

All that to say that you HAVE to keep up with the cyclists! Sorry!

Rick
exerscreen
500m Poster

Postby dr3do » January 13th, 2018, 12:49 pm

exerscreen wrote:This is kind of an intractable problem given that the actual sports are very different in real life. [...] All that to say that you HAVE to keep up with the cyclists! Sorry!

Maybe my post was misleading, but I have no problem with that at all. I find it motivating to be able to keep up with cyclicst – I row/ski without multiplier (=watts are going 1:1 to Zwift). I know that there are efficiency differences between Bike/Row/Ski and that‘s perfectly fine for me.

On Bike I‘m an ‚A‘, on RowErg I‘m an ‚B‘ and on SkiErg I‘m an ‚C‘.
Boris (Bike/SkiErg/RowErg/Run)
dr3do
Paddler

Postby exerscreen » January 13th, 2018, 11:39 pm

dr3do wrote:
exerscreen wrote:This is kind of an intractable problem given that the actual sports are very different in real life. [...] All that to say that you HAVE to keep up with the cyclists! Sorry!

Maybe my post was misleading, but I have no problem with that at all. I find it motivating to be able to keep up with cyclicst – I row/ski without multiplier (=watts are going 1:1 to Zwift). I know that there are efficiency differences between Bike/Row/Ski and that‘s perfectly fine for me.

On Bike I‘m an ‚A‘, on RowErg I‘m an ‚B‘ and on SkiErg I‘m an ‚C‘.

You, sir, are a crazy man! ;)
exerscreen
500m Poster

Previous

Return to Indoor Rowers