Retrofit Model B or start of with something newer?

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.

Retrofit Model B or start of with something newer?

Postby brownnugen2 » November 4th, 2017, 1:59 pm

First post here:
I have a Model B that I've had for a number of years that I retrofitted with the flexfoot kit. I have no way to see any data because the PM1 monitor was lost in my last move. Everything works fine with it but I do wish it were a lot more quiet so I can row in the mornings without waking up my family.

So the questions I have are:
1) Is there any way to muffle or reduce the noise the Model B makes (fan and chain)?
2) The only "newer" monitors I see are the PM5s and that would cost $180 (plus shipping) to retrofit. Is there a way to even purchase a PM4 or PM3? Would there be any issues retrofitting any of those for my Model B?
3) Is it worth putting money into my Model B or should I start looking for a used Model D? I have used the Model D and it is pretty smooth, but don't know if it is worth the extra money for something new.

Thanks,
-Nick
brownnugen2
Paddler

Re: Retrofit Model B or start of with something newer?

Postby Cyclist2 » November 4th, 2017, 9:23 pm

To answer your questions;
1) I don't think so. If you start enclosing it, then the drag will be less, maybe a lot less. Would take some tinkering for a minimal improvement.
2) You can look around eBay or other places, but the PM has to match the machine, so finding one configured for a model B might be hard.
3) For just rowing, the model B is great, I still use mine occasionally. If you are going used, I'd recommend a model C with a PM3 or 4. After browsing the zillion posts on here about the various machines, my takeaway is that the C is a better machine and the PM3 or 4 are a lot less troublesome than the PM5 with recording workouts, etc. Again, just my opinion.

You'll get other opinions, of course, so wait a few days and see what else shows up here.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.
Cyclist2
5k Poster

Postby Ombrax » November 5th, 2017, 2:42 am

If noise level is one of your major concerns about the B, then I'd be sure to check that the newer models (C and D/E sound different, with D/E a bit quieter than the C) are low enough to help with that issue. I'd hate to spend the money for an upgrade, only to find out that they're still louder than what I was looking for.
Ombrax
1k Poster

Postby jamesg » November 7th, 2017, 6:28 am

I'd get a D/PM5, not that there's much choice, new if you can, or a C/PM3-4. Last a lifetime, which will be very long if you get fit. Family needs that too, might even want to try the machine. Do 'em good. It's far more important than the latest 50"TV or not-really-smartphone. As for noise if any, they'll get used to it.

When I lived in Milan, we had trams go past windows as from 6 am. After the first week, never noticed them. When we moved to the country, it was milk churns at 5, got used to that too.
77y, 188cm, 85kg, MHR 160. Last 2k (12-17) 8.20@25
jamesg
10k Poster

Postby lindsayh » November 7th, 2017, 6:53 am

I reckon get a new one - one of the best investments for all the reasons above and great resale if it doesn't work out
Lindsay
66yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs 1 min 362m ('15), 500m 1:25.4 ('14), 2k 6:46.1 ('15), 5km 18:07.9 ('16) HM @1:59.2 ('16)
lindsayh
10k Poster

Postby Cant Climb » November 7th, 2017, 9:45 am

I loved the feel of the old Model B's. Used to use one at local YMCA that turned me on to rowing.
Own a Model D now and being able to break my Model D into two pieces is critical now for my living arrangement.

Miss that mechanical sound of the model B and the wooden handle though.
Cant Climb
Paddler

Postby brownnugen2 » December 12th, 2017, 7:58 pm

I ended up picking up a Model D with PM5 locally! It only had 37K meters on it!
brownnugen2
Paddler

Postby jdivan » January 8th, 2018, 3:02 pm

I started in 2003 with a model b, I have swapped out the B seat with newer C and D machines. Do you still have the B seat? I hate the newer seat.
jdivan
Paddler

Return to Indoor Rowers