Brown Marks on Roller

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.

Brown Marks on Roller

Postby Aeneades » December 16th, 2017, 7:53 am

I received my Concept2 Model D 10 days ago, is being kept inside, used daily and wiped down with window cleaner and a clean cloth after every use. A few days ago I noticed that small brown marks are starting to appear along the roller (as per attached image), started with a couple of them but more are appearing daily. Are these something I should be worried about or are they a usual occurance?

Aeneades
Paddler

Re: Brown Marks on Roller

Postby Citroen » December 16th, 2017, 12:56 pm

It's normal, the Concept2 rower is sucking the life-force out of your body and depositing it on the rail.

Actually, it's bits of dust and muck, soaked in sweat and stuck to the rollers, clean it with Windex.
Citroen
SpamTeam

Postby Cyclist2 » December 16th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Are you wiping off the rollers as well as the metal rail? The dirt might be on the rollers themselves.

You probably don't need to use window cleaner, just a damp cloth. After I row, but before I get off the machine, I dampen a rag from my water bottle. I run the seat back and forth with one finger holding the damp rag against each roller in turn. This cleans both the rollers and the rail at the same time. I then do the same thing with a dry part of the rag. Nice and shiny!
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.
Cyclist2
5k Poster

Postby lindsayh » December 16th, 2017, 4:38 pm

yes it is normal - just need to wipe the rail - there are lots of questions about it such as below
http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=164213
Lindsay
66yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs 1 min 362m ('15), 500m 1:25.4 ('14), 2k 6:46.1 ('15), 5km 18:07.9 ('16) HM @1:59.2 ('16)
lindsayh
10k Poster

Postby Aeneades » December 16th, 2017, 6:39 pm

lindsayh wrote:yes it is normal - just need to wipe the rail - there are lots of questions about it such as below
http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=164213

I had seen that post (and the others) but they mention a black dirt (which I do also get and is easily removed) but I have been getting brown marks on the rail as well which I cannot remove. As long as it is normal then I will stop worrying about it (and have switched to water rather than glass cleaner now).

Thanks everyone.
Aeneades
Paddler

Postby jackarabit » December 17th, 2017, 1:15 am

I doubt if brown is the new black. C2 will be thrilled to hear that their SS slide covers are now ( pick one): 1) attracting flies, 2) freckling in the sun, 3) rusting.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_70_5'-7"_164lb
Training Log
jackarabit
Half Marathon Poster

Postby Carl Watts » December 17th, 2017, 2:03 am

Thats the REAR of the slide that the rollers do not typically go over at all unless your really tall.

After a while you should get two shinny strips down both sides of the rail if you keep it clean with a damp cloth.

Anything that comes of on the cloth is black due to the rollers "Polishing" the stainless steel.

Brown could be rust or corrosion. Thats not normal unless your rower is outside and coastal or perhaps your sweat is as nasty as mine.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log
Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Postby jamesg » December 17th, 2017, 2:56 am

Depends on the type of steel. AISI 304 can corrode in presence of salt or organic acids, both present in sweat; 316 less so, and at a guess this is what C2 uses. Oil and any film can damage SS by blocking oxygen access. All we have to do is keep it clean and dry.
77y, 188cm, 85kg, MHR 160. Last 2k (12-17) 8.20@25
jamesg
10k Poster

Postby Aeneades » December 17th, 2017, 7:32 am

Carl Watts wrote:Thats the REAR of the slide that the rollers do not typically go over at all unless your really tall.

After a while you should get two shinny strips down both sides of the rail if you keep it clean with a damp cloth.

Anything that comes of on the cloth is black due to the rollers "Polishing" the stainless steel.

Brown could be rust or corrosion. Thats not normal unless your rower is outside and coastal or perhaps your sweat is as nasty as mine.

I have the two shiny strips down the side already (not visible in the photo as that was taken from the far end which I am not quite tall enough for the seat to reach). My Concept2 only arrived two weeks ago today, has been stored in heat conservatory, cleaned after every use and only covered around 140km so far so any corrosion or Marks seemed odd to me which is why I asked. Sweat has ended up on the roller but I have always cleaned this off at the end of each session and two weeks seem too short for any corrosion to appear. My worry is that it was the glass cleaner even though Concept advises that all glass cleaners are suitable, I have switched to water now and will see if that stops this from getting any worse.
Aeneades
Paddler

Postby Citroen » December 17th, 2017, 8:10 am

That's normal and just shows the rower has been used. Don't fuss about it. You'll see a lot worse in a public gym.
Citroen
SpamTeam

Postby jackarabit » December 17th, 2017, 11:30 am

A bit of "fussing" about the mechanical integrity, operation, and appearance of a new machine is always and everywhere acceptable and my experience with Concept 2 is that they are realistic about the probability of defects arising from engineering revisions, sourcing of materials, and availability of reliable sub-contractors and respond quickly to questions, complaints and issues deemed worthy of correction under warranty.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_70_5'-7"_164lb
Training Log
jackarabit
Half Marathon Poster

Return to Indoor Rowers