Sound from flywheel

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.

Sound from flywheel

Postby sekitori » December 16th, 2017, 5:45 pm

It can be described as a sort of clicking sound but much lower and more muted. On each drive, I hear three very quiet sounds like this. It occurs only when I pull the handle and does not appear during the recovery phase. I do not hear it while the flywheel continues to spin after I stop rowing.

I've owned my Model D for fourteen years and haven't heard it previously. But that could be because I never row when it's completely quiet. I always listen to music or watch TV and their sound is loud enough to make a sound like this virtually disappear. I was wondering if this kind of sound is normal or if it indicates that a problem might be present.

Lack of maintenance is not the answer. I oil the chain and clean the flywheel area at regular intervals and always wipe down the rail with Windex after every use. Other than replacing the top rollers a couple of times, no other maintenance has ever been done. All the screws around the flywheel area seem to be tight. Other than hearing this sound, the rower works completely normally. Any thoughts?
sekitori
1k Poster

Re: Sound from flywheel

Postby sekitori » December 19th, 2017, 8:32 pm

I contacted the C2 technical department about the sound I described in my previous post and was informed that the most probable cause is not the flywheel but rather the chain and sprocket, both of which should eventuallly be replaced. There seems to be nothing wrong with the flywheel itself. Because I have not found a reliable repair service in my area, West Los Angeles, CA, and since it's 14 years old, I am considering selling the rower and purchasing a new one. The original PM3 monitor is still usable but has become dim and ideally should be replaced. The total cost of the chain, sprocket, and a new PM5 is around $220.

Despite all this, the rower performs very well and could continue to do so in the future--even in its present condition. I think that $450 would be a fair price. For a total of around $670, someone will have very reliable Model D in excellent conditon at a cost of over $250 less than a new one. And if you happen to find a PM3 or PM4 monitor in good condition, the savings will be even greater. By the way, the shock cord is in good condition but I have an additional new one I will include as part of the sale.

If someone is interested, reply to this post. Because my original post has had no responses, I assume that very few people will look at this one either. If that's the case, I will repeat this message and start a completely new topic, the subject of which will be offering my rower for sale.
sekitori
1k Poster

Postby Carl Watts » December 19th, 2017, 11:24 pm

The PM3 has become dim ?

They have an LCD contrast setting that usually fixes that. What you cannot fix without replacing the display is blotches or missing lines on the display.

With a bit of knowledge the rower can always be repaired. I got given a free Model D1 that was lying on the floor of a Gym in bits and so I totally rebuilt it. I'm currently using it to row on in the garage.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log
Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Postby sekitori » December 20th, 2017, 12:37 am

Carl Watts wrote:The PM3 has become dim ?

They have an LCD contrast setting that usually fixes that. What you cannot fix without replacing the display is blotches or missing lines on the display.

With a bit of knowledge the rower can always be repaired. I got given a free Model D1 that was lying on the floor of a Gym in bits and so I totally rebuilt it. I'm currently using it to row on in the garage.

The LCD contrast setting was fairly effective long ago, but it no longer is. In order to see the display more clearly, I had to attach an LED book light close to the monitor.

A "bit of knowledge" isn't nearly enough for most us, myself included, to do complicated repairs. I'm fairly proficient technically in some respects (I was a dentist) but other than basic maintenance and replacing the top rollers, I would never consider doing anything more complex to my C2. I'm sure someone with your outstanding technical ability could easily replace the chain and sprocket, but you unfortunately live about 11,000 km (7,000 miles) away from me in the USA (Southern California). If you care to make a very, very long house call, let me know. :) But unless I find someone who is both reliable and knowledgable as to C2 repairs in my area--and so far I haven't, I'm probably going to sell the rower. I expect to start a new topic with the details fairly soon.
sekitori
1k Poster

Postby rakserv » December 21st, 2017, 7:18 am

hello
Interested in your erg, please PM me. I’m in Socal (north San Diego county).
thanks,
rakserv
500m Poster

Return to Indoor Rowers