Training software option

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.

Training software option

Postby smeeagain » December 31st, 2017, 3:38 pm

Apologies to the mods if this is considered as being posted twice, but I noticed that folk out here as well as the sub forum that seems to be specifically for software, rower etc, and I thought has this sub forum appear to have more traffic Id post here too.

I posted a couple of years or so ago and then went into hiding and am now hopefully back for the long haul. I am a former rower who is overweight, unfit, inflexible and getting old!

I plan to use my ergo to lose weight initially prior to a foot operation I hope to have mid 2018, then to use it as part of my rehab program post op, and then to lose weight and get fit(er) and more flexible, and in the longer term aim at a goal like 100k meters or something similar.

My question is around software. I have a model D with PM3 monitor and am planning to replace that with a PM5 monitor.

I have done a fair bit of research and am somewhat flummoxed at the options which appear to be available. In the good old days we just got on the machine and rowed and used time/distance/pace per 500m etc. and that was it. now there seems to be every bit of kit available.

So....... I've listed below what I have found. I appreciate that some of it is older and maybe not so much in use or has been superseded by newer software.

I thought that rather than ask for recommendations from the list, I would explain what it is I'm looking for and trying to achieve and hopefully someone can let me know which of the options below would suit my requirements best.

I would like to be able to transmit data to my phone - I believe certain apps/software permit this. I also want to be able to transmit/import data to my laptop which is a macbook (not using prraellels, bootcamp or windows, just a straight up ios mac). I don't want to have to take the laptop to the erg every time I want to transmit data (unless I have to). From there i ultimately want to be able to record, in a Microsoft spreadsheet, or similar, every single stroke taken on my long rowing journey. For example, power per stroke, stroke length, time, distance, sum, speed, pace etc., etc. I want to be able to aggregate all the data ie total meters/strokes etc per week, per month, per annum, ever, and so on.

I'm happy to spend money for the right app if needs be, but I am trying to avoid spending needlessly. The list below, whilst comprehensive is not necessarily exhaustive but if nothing else serves as a single list in one place, something I haven't seen on any other post, unless I've missed it, and it anyone knows of any software/apps that ate missing, I'll happily update the list. Would some or any of these suit the bill - bear in mind I'm not looking for the pros and cons of each, and I'm also aware that some may simply be not at all relevant, I'm simply asking if any would fit my requirements, or come close, to the 30 or so items listed below:

Float
Rowpro
Ergstick ( I believe this may be a dongle/device rather than a bot of software)
Ergdata
Erg IQ
BoatCoach
Ergbuddy
Concept2 online log
ROWVIGOR
Rowit
Oarbits
Dynrow
Erglog
Rowit
Rowbuddy
Supercanoa
Erow
Liverowing
Indoor Rowing companion
Sweet Zpot Rowing
weRow
SPM
Myrowpro
Million Meters
Pain sled
Erging Log
Race Pace Row
Training Mate
PerfPRO Studio
Ergometer Space

Thanks
Smee
smeeagain
500m Poster

Re: Training software option

Postby Citroen » December 31st, 2017, 4:22 pm

Duplicate deleted.
Citroen
SpamTeam

Postby smeeagain » December 31st, 2017, 7:00 pm

Thank you!
Smee
smeeagain
500m Poster

Postby sander » January 1st, 2018, 3:24 pm

I think these two posts cover roughly what you need:

http://analytics.rowsandall.com/2017/01 ... e-numbers/

http://analytics.rowsandall.com/2017/01 ... lications/

In the past twelve month, the number of options has indeed increased since we wrote those to articles. So there are more options.

You need 1 app to get the data from the PM into the phone. I personally use ErgData and Painsled on iOS, and a good options for Android is BoatCoach. All these apps allow you to get data to the Concept2 online logbook, and both Painsled and BoatCoach (pay for upgrades) export CSV (supported by Excel) files with all the data you are asking for.

For reasons of transparency: I am the developer of rowsandall.com, a site that allows you to visualize and analyze your rowing data. You may be interested in that. The basic membership is free of charge. I developed the site to get rid of endless spreadsheets and have the data online available from any device, platform independent. You should also look at rowe.rs and the Concept2 logbook log.concept2.com. If you are interested in weekly, monthly, etc totals of meters rowers and time spent on the rower, these sites provide that functionality. The online Concept2 logbook is free of charge.

The world of rowing data is a small one. I have found that all developers of apps and rowing data sites that I have interacted with are very supportive and open, so don't hesitate to ask around before you buy.

Training Blog: http://blog.rowsandall.com/
Free Data and Analysis. For Rowers. By Rowers: http://rowsandall.com
sander
2k Poster

Postby gregsmith01748 » January 1st, 2018, 4:49 pm

Hi,

I think it would a be a good idea to check out the info at the links that Sander posted. (Especially since I helped write them! :lol: )

What kind of phone do you have? Android or iPhone?

To sum up. I think the best way for you to do what you want is to do the following.

1. upgrade your rower to have a PM5 (or buy a cable to connect your phone to the PM3 USB port)
2. get the ergdata app from concept2 (it's free)
3. register on the concept2 online logbook (it's free)

This will allow you record every stroke you take and you will be able to see plots on line of each row.

For additional flexibility and functionality, I suggest that also register for a free account on rowsandall.com. You can import workouts from the concept2 online logbook and do fun stuff like comparing workouts to track progress.

I heartily endorse the idea of getting a heart rate sensor, any one that has Bluetooth will work (I like the Polar OH1). Avoid ones that go on your wrist. Both the concept2 logbook and rowsandall can analyze heart rate data that ergdata collects.

I've tried a bunch of the apps and devices that you mention (but far from all of them), and you may get to a point where you want to try some of them yourself, but I think ergdata and the online logbook are the best way to start.
Greg
gregsmith01748
10k Poster

Postby jackarabit » January 1st, 2018, 5:24 pm

Hey Greg, luv the intro to device lashups by the numbers! A single functional pathway is worth more to first-timers than several dozen hypothetical pathways that leave one scratching one's head. I agree that ErgData has proved an easily-mastered tool for logbook stat keeping and graphic representation of performance parameters. Also hope to see Sandor's work on device synergism enjoy the success it deserves.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_70_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log
jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Postby smeeagain » January 1st, 2018, 5:35 pm

Thanks Sander, I'll take a look at the links you sent and get back to you.
Thanks
Smee
smeeagain
500m Poster

Postby smeeagain » January 2nd, 2018, 12:48 pm

Thanks to everyone who has responded it is very much appreciated. When I rowed competitively (some 30 years ago now) we didn't even have a Model A or HR monitors. When I stopped rowing we had aModel B and a couple HR monitors. But as everyone was in the same boat, if you'll excuse the pun, it didn't matter. When I last rowed competitively, as a lightweight, I could get 1.26 for a one off 500 and 6.25 for 2000m. Right now I reckon I could just about break 2 mins for one 500. Or maybe not. :(

But data gadgets/technology does motivate me to do stuff and I need motivation. Im very overweight and need to do something about that and this is part of that process.

I have an iPhone 7 to answer your question. I also have a Garmin chest belt HR monitor which I believe has ANT+ technology.

Im continuing to work my way through what all my options are and to try and refine my needs and wants in terms of software capability.

Sander you mention that your basic membership is free of charge - what does the paid version cost and provide the user with?

One more question -d o the various apps only record data on specific workouts i.e. a 2k or a 30min row, or will they track the data on a Just Row paddle too?

Smee
smeeagain
500m Poster

Postby jackarabit » January 2nd, 2018, 1:29 pm

ErgData will track and display (in your C2 logbook) pace, heart rate and stroke rate stroke by stroke for all workouts continuous and interval, including "just row." For those with ios or android wifi devices absolutely the best plug 'n play no cost initial addition to your PM3, 4, or 5. If you desire additional charting capability and analytical tools not available directly from ED, Rowsandall is fantastic.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_70_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log
jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Postby gregsmith01748 » January 2nd, 2018, 3:00 pm

smeeagain wrote:Thanks to everyone who has responded it is very much appreciated. When I rowed competitively (some 30 years ago now) we didn't even have a Model A or HR monitors. When I stopped rowing we had aModel B and a couple HR monitors. But as everyone was in the same boat, if you'll excuse the pun, it didn't matter. When I last rowed competitively, as a lightweight, I could get 1.26 for a one off 500 and 6.25 for 2000m. Right now I reckon I could just about break 2 mins for one 500. Or maybe not. :(

But data gadgets/technology does motivate me to do stuff and I need motivation. Im very overweight and need to do something about that and this is part of that process.

I have an iPhone 7 to answer your question. I also have a Garmin chest belt HR monitor which I believe has ANT+ technology.

Im continuing to work my way through what all my options are and to try and refine my needs and wants in terms of software capability.

Sander you mention that your basic membership is free of charge - what does the paid version cost and provide the user with?

One more question -d o the various apps only record data on specific workouts i.e. a 2k or a 30min row, or will they track the data on a Just Row paddle too?

Smee

Hi,

You ANT+ HR monitor will work with either the PM4 or the PM5.
As for the difference between basic and pro membership on rowsandall. That is explained in this article:
http://analytics.rowsandall.com/2017/01/25/what-are-the-differences-between-premium-and-basic-on-rowsandall-com/
Just about all of the apps will work happily with Just row.
Greg
gregsmith01748
10k Poster

Postby sander » January 3rd, 2018, 2:52 am

Greg has answered your question.

My site is a personal project and under active development. Since I wrote that post, a year ago, there has been a lot of functionality added. Most of the new functionality is under the Pro membership which costs 15 EURO for a one year subscription, or 15 EURO if you opt for an automatically renewing subscription through PayPal. (Yes, I have increased the price since I wrote the article.)

I build new functionality for my own needs and on members request. Above, you mentioned wanting to look at Average force, peak force, work per stroke, and other "advanced" metrics. The Concept2 logbook will not give you that. Rowsandall.com's Pro version in combination with a smartphone app which does export those data will: Painsled, BoatCoach.

Training Blog: http://blog.rowsandall.com/
Free Data and Analysis. For Rowers. By Rowers: http://rowsandall.com
sander
2k Poster

Postby smeeagain » January 5th, 2018, 9:31 am

Apologies for not checking back in Ive been unwell - great start to 2018, but it'll be gone in a few days. I'll pick back up with you on our pm/email exchange

Thansk
Smee
smeeagain
500m Poster

Postby huntajc » January 8th, 2018, 2:22 pm

On the other side of the same coin, what are people using to plan and map out future training sessions? I saw Training Peaks and like the idea but I'm not sure that it supports the idea of training to splits and SPM, as well as striking me as a little pricey.
huntajc
Paddler

Postby gregsmith01748 » January 8th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Most people are picking a training plan and then using spreadsheet to plan out future sessions.

Some of the more popular plans are
- Pete Plan
- Pete Plan for beginners
- Wolverine Plan
- Interactive Plan
- Rojabo

These are mentioned in a bunch of threads, which of course, I can't seem to find right now. But google is your friend!
Greg
gregsmith01748
10k Poster

Postby Cyclist2 » January 10th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Same topic, new question. I see Kinomap listed on C2's website of 3rd party software. It looks interesting, in my first glance. I like the videos. Does anyone have experience with it? Thanks!
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.
Cyclist2
5k Poster

Next

Return to Indoor Rowers