Searching in "Posts from old forum"

Comments on the new forum software, and technical questions about the forum software.

Searching in "Posts from old forum"

Postby Alissa » February 17th, 2009, 7:33 am

I remembered something I'd like to see again from the old forum (but not the old, old forum :lol: ). When the site was moved over to the current bb software, the the previous forum was flattened, and saved as "Posts from Old Forum" which is marked as a "read only section for reference and search purposes." To avoid searches bringing up old material, all of the usernames of members on the old forum were revised to add "[old] "in front of their user names. It used to be possible to search for something there by a particular person by using the "[old __________]" user name format.

The search feature isn't bringing anything up from that board. it doesn't say it isn't working, it simply returns no results. I tried it again, specifying that it was the section I wanted to search. Still no results.

Can someone fix this?

Thanks!

Alissa
Alissa
2k Poster

Postby PaulH » February 17th, 2009, 8:47 am

I just tried it, searching for posts where the author was:

[old] Rogus

and it seemed to work fine - can you try that search and let me know what you get?
PaulH
6k Poster

Postby Alissa » February 17th, 2009, 10:12 am

I can now get all of the posts by a particular "[old]" author. (You're a miracle worker?)

But I still am having trouble finding particular posts. I just did a quick search looking for my posts which included the name "Xeno" (which I used as a search term). There should have been lots or results...it didn't find any.

Then I tried searches not specifying the author but specifying the "old forum" as the forum to be searched. I looked (separately) for both the term "technique" and then for the term "Xeno" (both of which I know appear in the old forum) and I get no results.

Not sure what's up...can you fix those too?

Thanks Paul!

Alissa
Alissa
2k Poster

Postby PaulH » February 17th, 2009, 10:31 am

Well I didn't actually do anything to make that part of the search work, but thanks :)

I'm afraid I can't help with the second issue though. I did take a look around the admin screens and there's nothing specifically blocking it. It's possible that if we updated to the latest version of the software it might start working (that's not my decision to make, unfortunately). On the other hand it might be a side-effect of the process that imported all that stuff in, which would probably be an unfixable shame. Sorry!

Cheers, Paul
PaulH
6k Poster

Return to Forum use, comments and suggestions