Unable to upgrade Firmware on iMac

Look here first for answers to common questions

Unable to upgrade Firmware on iMac

Postby Myopic Squirrel » July 13th, 2013, 1:21 am

Tried upgrading to the current Firmware version for my Model E on my iMac, and got the following: "Concept Utility 6.53 exe can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer". Any suggestions as to a 'work around'?

Thank you in advance! jon
71 year old M 188 cm 92Kg When all else fails, read the directions...
Myopic Squirrel
500m Poster

Re: Unable to upgrade Firmware on iMac

Postby Livio Livius » July 13th, 2013, 3:01 am

You are trying to use a windows type file (.exe) installing on a Max OS system. This will not work or you need to install something like Boot Camp/Parallels and run your Mac as a virtual Windows machine.
Livio Livius
1k Poster

Postby Citroen » July 13th, 2013, 5:20 am

Have you downloaded the Windows version by mistake?

You need the native Mac version from
http://software.concept2.com/logcard/Co ... tup653.dmg
Citroen
SpamTeam

Postby Myopic Squirrel » July 13th, 2013, 2:25 pm

Livio - I specifically used the Mac download - further effort gave me this message: "Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac app store and identified developers". I have to figure out how to change my security preferences (New Mac user).

Citroen - thank you - that was the same link I used. See above.
Myopic Squirrel
500m Poster

Postby Citroen » July 13th, 2013, 3:01 pm

You'll have to release your Mac from Apple's walled garden to install the C2 utility.

I found this on an Apple forum

1. Hold down "control" button
2. Click on the app that is triggering the message about the security preferences
3. Select "open" to override and install/open the application

This allows you to avoid changing the security setting to "anywhere."
Citroen
SpamTeam

Postby Myopic Squirrel » July 13th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Citroen,

Many thanks for your efforts on my behalf. I also found it, and have downloaded it to my Mac. What is the next step to upgrade the PM 4?
Myopic Squirrel
500m Poster

Postby Citroen » July 13th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Myopic Squirrel wrote:Citroen,

Many thanks for your efforts on my behalf. I also found it, and have downloaded it to my Mac. What is the next step to upgrade the PM 4?

Connect the PM4 to the Mac with the 5 meter long USB cable. Start the C2 Utility. Answer yes to every strange question and it will automagically update the firmware.
http://www.concept2.com/service/softwar ... n-settings
http://www.concept2.com/service/softwar ... g-firmware
Citroen
SpamTeam

Postby Myopic Squirrel » July 19th, 2013, 10:50 pm

While C2 is closed for the weekend, perhaps I can find the answer on this forum. Downloaded the MAC version for updating the firmware to version 29, connected to USB cable to the PM 4, double clicked the program, and then the problems began. My computer screen showed 3 different options: Transfer Data, Maintain Users, and Maintain Logcard. I could not get any to activate, I inserted the Logcard, and then got the message that I needed a USB cable (which was already connected). I clicked OKAY, disconnected my USB, re-booted the computer, re-installed the USB, and again got the "Need USB cable". Clicked OKAY, and same message would repeat. Did this 3x. I inserted the LogCard, and on my computer screen the Logcard icon kept showing a Red X through it.(However previously I added my name as a user, and when I insert it it shows my name). I scrolled through the C2 online screens dedicated to updating the Firmware, following the various steps, all with no success - the prod info still shows version 19. The history shows my date & time usage, and my meters have been added to the lifetime total, so that part is working. But when I tried adding my wife as a user, Code 137 - 94 appeared: this PM may have a problem. Record this code number and press continue, if this code appears again contact Cs.com/PM 4. I pressed "continue", and the screen never changed, so it looks like I have a PM 4 problem. At this time my first priority is updating the firmware. Suggestions? Thank you in advance!
Myopic Squirrel
500m Poster

Postby Citroen » July 20th, 2013, 8:33 am

Get a windows (XP, Vista, Win7 or Win8) machine, run the C2 utility on there then try the version on your Mac.
Citroen
SpamTeam

Postby Myopic Squirrel » July 20th, 2013, 10:52 pm

Hello Citroen,

Thank you for your prompt reply, but I'm confused with your answer. What bearing does running the utility program on a PC have on subsequently running the program on my Mac? 2 different machines - what bearing does one have on the other?

jon
Myopic Squirrel
500m Poster

Postby Citroen » July 21st, 2013, 6:49 am

Myopic Squirrel wrote:Hello Citroen,

Thank you for your prompt reply, but I'm confused with your answer. What bearing does running the utility program on a PC have on subsequently running the program on my Mac? 2 different machines - what bearing does one have on the other?

jon

The Windows version is more widely used, therefore less likely to have hardware or software bugs. Mac users are still a minority of folks (those who like to pay inflated prices for their computers and like to live in the walled garden that Apple provides them) and therefore there are fewer uses of the C2 Utility on that platform.

If the C2 Utility also fails on a Windows machine then you may need to get your PM4 serviced by Concept2 under warranty. I'm assuming your problems aren't user errors since the C2 Utility is fairly easy to operate.
Citroen
SpamTeam

Postby Myopic Squirrel » July 21st, 2013, 7:09 pm

Hello Citroen,

Thank you for your explanation. *LOL* re: your remark about liking to play inflated prices...! Trust me - I don't like paying any more than I absolutely have to for anything - otherwise I would have bought a new C2 *G* Having been a PC user until I retired, and having kept hearing "how easy" the Mac was to use, I bought into the propaganda, and based on my experiences so far, I rue the day. But on to the C2 Utility program. I'll see if I can borrow a PC machine and give it a try. If it doesn't work, I'm guessing that C2 doesn't warranty their PM 4's for 7 years.
Myopic Squirrel
500m Poster

Postby Myopic Squirrel » July 24th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Hello Citroen,

T The C2 people - specifically Will - gave me a list of things to check out, and concluded I have a bad USB connection on my PM4. Will use the PM4 as is, and forgo the use of the LogCard. Appreciate all your help!
Myopic Squirrel
500m Poster

Postby Citroen » July 24th, 2013, 3:59 pm

You can fix it with a low wattage soldering iron from Radioshack.

There's four connections +ve, gnd, data+,data- and two joints to hold the socket in place on the board. Anyone who's done some hobbyist soldering should be able to fix it for you in under 1/2 an hour.
Citroen
SpamTeam

Postby Myopic Squirrel » July 25th, 2013, 1:06 am

Hello Citroen,

You continue to be an incredible resource! Thank you for this info - I'll see whom I can find that can do as you suggested - as long as I don't have to overpay them *G*.
Myopic Squirrel
500m Poster

Next

Return to FAQ