Sub 7 Indoor Rowing Club (UK)

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Re: Sub 7 Indoor Rowing Club (UK)

Postby bisqeet » January 6th, 2017, 3:35 am

EddyFletcherMarathonPlan
Week A Day 5
60’
4 x 15’ 4’ rest
i. 6’ @ 5KP :R26
ii. 9’ @ MP :R20
HR TR (154-160)

http://0stress.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 7_EFA5.jpg

funnily the stop interval is missing (this is the new stable 5.07 version of rowpro; custom row setups are differently.
beleive me i did take a 4 minute rest interval between the two active ones.

this is the log file from rowpro 4.3 (same row)
http://0stress.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 3_EFA5.jpg

the row when uploaded into the c2 logbook is also different, the total time now only counts the actual moving time (ommits stops) and the pace is also based on moving time and not notal time.
check my logbook on the bottom of my signature and you can see the two rows uploaded there...

just noticed its logging my rows as slides, which could be embarressing if i rank anything... need to change that.
Dean
2017 Season: 196cm / 94kg : M48
Training Log
~seven days without rowing makes one weak~
bisqeet
10k Poster

Postby Amazing Amazon » January 6th, 2017, 3:10 pm

Susan, Best of luck with Saturdays 18k (is that on the ergo?) and Sundays 5 mile cross-country run.
Rod, your 4x2kR2 - shows you've marvellous stamina but to my mind a bit far as interval training for 2k, more like prep for a good 5k. For 2k prep my choice would be to keep the total distance to 3k: so I would thib of doing 6x500R2, 4x750R2.5 and 3x1000R3, probalby in that order.
Mike, I've been having head-game problems of my own this week, some days one is just not in the right headspace. I'm also someone who has something of an aversion to doing straight 2k TT out of competition.
Dean, impressive session. How to you calibrate Max Watts and therefore the ramp up to it? I can do something like your 313 watts for 1 minute, but my best standalone 1k watts is 245.

Busy week myself, albeit not everything went as planned...
Tuesday After OWR on Monday was cancelled did get out Tuesday in a double. Temperature was literally 0 degC but for once there was no fog and very calm. Initially had fingerless gloves on but couldn't control the oars well so took then off. Took a while for my fingers/thumbs to warm up. Brian (the 79yo I was rowing with) had a set of 'poggies', which are a sort of mitt that fit over the oar and hand, so didn't have the same problem :mrgreen: . We did 8k, the last 800m I was trying to to go max. pace but noticed that I was washing out (oars not coming out of the water cleanly) on the left oar. After getting the boat out of the water, absolutely froze my hands washing the boat and oars down: we had to break the ice on the water barrels to get water.
Wednesday Was feeling a bit out of sorts on the ergo. My 20 minute Eddie Fletcher warm-up was OK, but then started a 6x500R2 at 1:55 pace but ran out of mojo and died in the first rep, so called that a day after paddling out the 500m. Then tried the IRL January 1 minute challenge. Same result - list mojo and paddled home for 269m. Upped the df to 145 and had another go and eked out a 291m (1:43 pace) which was 1m less than my SB from May. Then had a go at a standalone 500m, for the the Sub7 ITC, but broke down in that too to finish in 2:01.6: you won't see that on the Challenge table. Decided to call it a day after that so ended with a faster than normal 2k warm-down.
Thursday, out on the water again, there were 3 of us we were going to use a double + single and as the others were reluctant I offered to take the single. Another cold day, not quite freezing but more wind and waves. Waves on the slipway bad again so decided to go out in a coastal scull rather than a fine single. Launching got water in my wellies, and hence my socks. Did 5k. After did a 1h hour/1800m pool swim (to warm up!) and, in the evening, Scottish Country Dancing.
Today, packing for holidays and another attempt at that 6x500R2. This time I was more in the mood : reps of 1:54.6, 1:54.7, 1:53.9, 1:53.7, 1:53.8 and 1:53.0 for an average pace of 1:53.9, which is 0.5 seconds faster than I did a month ago just before BRIC :D . Have also go back to my pre-Xmas weight :D .
Marjorie
Amazing Amazon
Paddler

Postby Rod » January 6th, 2017, 4:34 pm

YES, YES, YES...at last....a session that tells me I can definitely get under 7 mins for 2k (I've only been trying since September!).

5 x 750.3:30r (all static starts...of course..).

1) 1:45.2
2) 1:45.2
3) 1:45.1
4) 1:44.8
5) 1:43.6
Average...1:44.8.....37spm. Drag factor 130.

I usually do this session at my 2k race pace so very happy with the average of 1:44.8 which is a full second FASTER than I did this last week so coming along nicely but still more to do...30'r20 on Sunday and on Monday it's the dreaded...4 x 1k.5'R...Ouch!

Mike…...........I always do weights after rowing…never before….I think they must have knackered you!
Susan…........ Good luck for Saturdays 18k and Sundays 5 mile cross-country run.
Marjorie….....Nice busy week, well done for finally nailing the 6 x 500.
Dean….........that’s a lot of metres…more than I ever do that’s for sure so well done.
59 year old Lightweight male. Based in Sussex, just south of London, England. Best 2k recently.. 6:59.2 on 15th February 2017
Rod
1k Poster

Postby bisqeet » January 7th, 2017, 9:26 am

Amazing Amazon wrote:...
Dean, impressive session. How to you calibrate Max Watts and therefore the ramp up to it? I can do something like your 313 watts for 1 minute, but my best standalone 1k watts is 245.

i love my pogies :)
sounds like a busy week Marjorie - we have a traditional 6th Jan Boat Festival in Rosenheim (South Bavaria). Unfortunately it was -18°C - so I didn't go. My pogies wouldn't have done much at that temp.

the test I did was one 'designed' by Eddy Fletcher.

basically, based on y current 2k TT pace, choose the watt value closest to your 500m/pace:

http://0stress.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... HRTest.jpg

then go back 6 slots (or take the lastvalue 25W)

then row 5x 4:00 R 30s
with the first being that value x, the second x+25, and so on until the last effort, which should be a full out effort.

apart from reaching your maximal HR, this is also a great 2k TT predictor (something for Rod :) )

edit: looks like I can't add the image, but only the link
Dean
Training Log
bisqeet
10k Poster

Postby bisqeet » January 7th, 2017, 9:28 am

Rod wrote:..
Dean….........that’s a lot of metres…more than I ever do that’s for sure so well done.

...its actually less than what i've been doing.
pretty sad, to say that doing a marathon training plan is less than my usual (winter) load....
Dean
Training Log
bisqeet
10k Poster

Postby bisqeet » January 7th, 2017, 1:38 pm

EddyFletcherMarathonPlan Week1Day6
60’
(2 x 30’ 3’ rest)
Default MP or
slower
HR 75% max
misread HR limits - HRmax 70% (136) - should have gone a a little faster
data courtesy of the rowpro online logbook (nifty new feature)
rest was 3mins (grrr... this 'feature' of ommitting rest time, i' not so keen on)

i'm waiting for the first person to abuse it.
i.e. doing 4x500m intervals with 10 minute rest,
then ranking the piece as a world record and having it verified by rowpro....
grrrr....

http://0stress.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... WAD6_2.jpg
Dean
Training Log
bisqeet
10k Poster

Postby Rod » January 7th, 2017, 6:03 pm

bisqeet wrote: this is also a great 2k TT predictor (something for Rod :) )

Thank you for thinking of me Dean but I'm not sure I understood any of that (I've never looked at Watts and don't know anything about using info on them) and have plenty of 2k predictors in my current plan.......one more would really send me over the edge as I'm close enough to it as it is Lol! :lol:
59 year old Lightweight male. Based in Sussex, just south of London, England. Best 2k recently.. 6:59.2 on 15th February 2017
Rod
1k Poster

Postby MPx » January 7th, 2017, 7:23 pm

Some serious distances being covered here in very respectable times. Well done peops! Makes my efforts look lightweight in everything except ...err...weight! Tho I have now dropped below 100kg for the first time in a couple of years or so. Weight isn't really a motivator for me - not bothered what the number is - just like to feel fit and strong and its the fit and strong I'm missing at the moment....but its coming back slowly.

Day off yesterday. Had a go at the CTC today. Covered a 4x1k 4R in mid December at 1:53.9 avg pace. That gave me a good target to aim for here and managed to complete it in an avg 1:52.9 (for 4250m) which was pleasing and sees me back heading in the right direction.

Nice going on the 5x750 Rod - sub 1:45 is clearly a major psychological barrier to break and there is was gone!
Hope the 18k went well Susan - still aiming for 2:15.x ??
Dean, sounds like RowPro 5 is quite a change. I see what you're saying about the risks of excluding rest times, but from my (non-ranking) perspective its much better for the stats to ignore the rests as I don't find the avg pace including rests periods of RowPro 3 very informative. Can you put the [ img ] [ /img ] tags around your links to give the pictures?
Have a good hols Marjorie...
Mike - 59 HWT 183

On yet another comeback after more than 3 years off this time...
MPx
Paddler

Postby bisqeet » January 8th, 2017, 3:12 am

MPx wrote:Some serious distances being covered here in very respectable times. Well done peops! Makes my efforts look lightweight in everything except ...err...weight! Tho I have now dropped below 100kg for the first time in a couple of years or so. Weight isn't really a motivator for me - not bothered what the number is - just like to feel fit and strong and its the fit and strong I'm missing at the moment....but its coming back slowly.

Day off yesterday. Had a go at the CTC today. Covered a 4x1k 4R in mid December at 1:53.9 avg pace. That gave me a good target to aim for here and managed to complete it in an avg 1:52.9 (for 4250m) which was pleasing and sees me back heading in the right direction.

Nice going on the 5x750 Rod - sub 1:45 is clearly a major psychological barrier to break and there is was gone!
Hope the 18k went well Susan - still aiming for 2:15.x ??
Dean, sounds like RowPro 5 is quite a change. I see what you're saying about the risks of excluding rest times, but from my (non-ranking) perspective its much better for the stats to ignore the rests as I don't find the avg pace including rests periods of RowPro 3 very informative. Can you put the [ img ] [ /img ] tags around your links to give the pictures?
Have a good hols Marjorie...

I tried, but the forum wouldn't allow them, the call to my website was blocked internally...
It's a give and hope. Doggie Mart be able to help, or I can try a different host,
Dean
Training Log
bisqeet
10k Poster

Postby Rod » January 8th, 2017, 5:38 am

PB ALERT !!!

30'r20spm

7559 metres.

1:59.0 average pace.

That's the best I've ever done as a Lightweight so well pleased.

I'll now be moving that onwards gradually (5 minutes at a time I think...) to 60 minutes once a week....now there's a target! 60 mins at 20spm under 2:00 pace....should keep me busy!

Mike.....Nice CTC well done mate....improving all the time.
Rod
1k Poster

Postby bisqeet » January 8th, 2017, 9:09 am

Rod wrote:PB ALERT !!!

30'r20spm

7559 metres.

1:59.0 average pace.

That's the best I've ever done as a Lightweight so well pleased.

I'll now be moving that onwards gradually (5 minutes at a time I think...) to 60 minutes once a week....now there's a target! 60 mins at 20spm under 2:00 pace....should keep me busy!

Mike.....Nice CTC well done mate....improving all the time.

decent distance for a gravity challenged half weight :p
looks like you have developed a lot of power for your size/weight ratio - great stuff, rod!!
Dean
Training Log
bisqeet
10k Poster

Postby MPx » January 9th, 2017, 3:17 am

Stonking 30@20 Rod - great to see. I remember when you avoided the @20s like the plague outside the ITC once a year! As did I...but now part of my normal week's training.

I did an AWL Pyramid Sunday (having missed Friday). Another second quicker pace all through 1:49 - 1:57 and back. I think I'll have to move to targeting slower gains from here as that was properly difficult.
Mike - 59 HWT 183

On yet another comeback after more than 3 years off this time...
MPx
Paddler

Postby le grand fromage » January 9th, 2017, 5:47 am

Ah, there you all are, found you :lol:

Happy New Year sub 7 :D
2k - "into that void of silence where we cry without sound"
le grand fromage
Paddler

Postby le grand fromage » January 9th, 2017, 6:10 am

bisqeet wrote:for me - its actually getting on the rower and doing one. Don't know why, but the thought of doing a 2k TT just daunts me everytime.

Hi Dean, this may help. :wink: An extract from my old blog probably explains it better but it's the reason why I warm up by 'doing' a sub maximal 2k

".....and together with something that I’d read in Jason Leonard’s book just before my hols, I’ve come up with a plan.

Back in the early 90s, the then England Rugby manager Geoff Cooke, came up with a plan to nullify the effect that the Welsh National Anthem seemed to have on teams visiting Cardiff Arms Park. He played it to the players morning, noon and night in the week leading up to the match until they became sick of it, “aversion therapy”, was Jason’s term for it, so come match day it would have no effect on the players which come match day it duly did.

To try and overcome whatever the mental barrier I seem to have given myself on a 2kTT, I’ve now changed my warm up routine so instead of my usual 5 minutes at paces around 1:52 I’m now going to do a structured 2k. The plan being that rowing fastish 2ks 6-8 times a week, as a warm up, will nullify whatever ails me mentally, come race time. Started back with a 1:52/1:48/1:44/1:40 per 500 warm up, with a plan to drop the paces gradually over the coming months. Can’t see it doing much harm in any event and it only adds a couple of minutes and a few extra metres to the session."
2k - "into that void of silence where we cry without sound"
le grand fromage
Paddler

Postby hjs » January 9th, 2017, 7:44 am

le grand fromage wrote:
bisqeet wrote:for me - its actually getting on the rower and doing one. Don't know why, but the thought of doing a 2k TT just daunts me everytime.

Hi Dean, this may help. :wink: An extract from my old blog probably explains it better but it's the reason why I warm up by 'doing' a sub maximal 2k

".....and together with something that I’d read in Jason Leonard’s book just before my hols, I’ve come up with a plan.

Back in the early 90s, the then England Rugby manager Geoff Cooke, came up with a plan to nullify the effect that the Welsh National Anthem seemed to have on teams visiting Cardiff Arms Park. He played it to the players morning, noon and night in the week leading up to the match until they became sick of it, “aversion therapy”, was Jason’s term for it, so come match day it would have no effect on the players which come match day it duly did.

To try and overcome whatever the mental barrier I seem to have given myself on a 2kTT, I’ve now changed my warm up routine so instead of my usual 5 minutes at paces around 1:52 I’m now going to do a structured 2k. The plan being that rowing fastish 2ks 6-8 times a week, as a warm up, will nullify whatever ails me mentally, come race time. Started back with a 1:52/1:48/1:44/1:40 per 500 warm up, with a plan to drop the paces gradually over the coming months. Can’t see it doing much harm in any event and it only adds a couple of minutes and a few extra metres to the session."

But still you lack the effort, doing 2k plus 30 seconds is easy, not the 170 plus string :wink: , but doing one at 95% effort is needed.
2016/17 1000: 2:56.0

For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing
hjs
Marathon Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Teams