Sub 7 Indoor Rowing Club (UK)

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Re: Sub 7 Indoor Rowing Club (UK)

Postby le grand fromage » January 9th, 2017, 10:14 am

hjs wrote:
le grand fromage wrote:
bisqeet wrote:for me - its actually getting on the rower and doing one. Don't know why, but the thought of doing a 2k TT just daunts me everytime.

Hi Dean, this may help. :wink: An extract from my old blog probably explains it better but it's the reason why I warm up by 'doing' a sub maximal 2k

".....and together with something that I’d read in Jason Leonard’s book just before my hols, I’ve come up with a plan.

Back in the early 90s, the then England Rugby manager Geoff Cooke, came up with a plan to nullify the effect that the Welsh National Anthem seemed to have on teams visiting Cardiff Arms Park. He played it to the players morning, noon and night in the week leading up to the match until they became sick of it, “aversion therapy”, was Jason’s term for it, so come match day it would have no effect on the players which come match day it duly did.

To try and overcome whatever the mental barrier I seem to have given myself on a 2kTT, I’ve now changed my warm up routine so instead of my usual 5 minutes at paces around 1:52 I’m now going to do a structured 2k. The plan being that rowing fastish 2ks 6-8 times a week, as a warm up, will nullify whatever ails me mentally, come race time. Started back with a 1:52/1:48/1:44/1:40 per 500 warm up, with a plan to drop the paces gradually over the coming months. Can’t see it doing much harm in any event and it only adds a couple of minutes and a few extra metres to the session."

But still you lack the effort, doing 2k plus 30 seconds is easy, not the 170 plus string :wink: , but doing one at 95% effort is needed.

A bit early in the training prog to be doing anything like that Henry as I've not a clue what 100% is atm. However, later in the week I've a 3x2kR3 planned with a 1:40ish 2k inbetween a couple of 1:44s which should give me some idea of where I'm at :wink:
2k - "into that void of silence where we cry without sound"
le grand fromage
Paddler

Postby Rod » January 9th, 2017, 1:25 pm

Today’s torture was 4 x 1k.5’r.

1) 1:46.0……35spm
2) 1:46.0……36spm
3) 1:45.9……36spm
4) 1:45.0……36spm

Average…..1:45.7….35spm. Drag Factor 130

This was 0.7 on average pace faster than last time I did it 10 days ago so still chipping away.

The Pete Plan says this is around 2k time plus 1 second so a sub 7 looks on at the English champs on the 5th of February……although ‘’looking’’ and ‘’doing’’ are two different things!

Thanks for the kind words Mike, I've always said that I don't compare that well with others on low rate it as I normally rate so high but one low rate session a week was ok for me so that's what I'm doing now and it seems to be paying off...slow as I am at it! Well done on the Pyramid session, you're improvements will still be in big chunks I think so looking firward to hearing about the next one.

Interesting strategy on the 2k's Richard, I think that would have me fearing every session so won't be trying it myself Lol!
59 year old Lightweight male. Based in Sussex, just south of London, England. Best 2k recently.. 6:59.2 on 15th February 2017
Rod
1k Poster

Postby bisqeet » January 9th, 2017, 2:37 pm

quality management seminar all week (until friday - have to get recertified)
not getting home till 19:00
that and my hashimoto is playing up - trying to stop falling asleep at 8.
early night tonight and see how i am tomorrow...
getting restless (this is the second day without training...)
Dean
2017 Season: 196cm / 94kg : M48
Training Log
~seven days without rowing makes one weak~
bisqeet
10k Poster

Postby MPx » January 10th, 2017, 3:57 pm

You should try some sprints Dean. I know its off your plan, but it only takes half an hour to do a 10x1min r1 incl warm up. Its still useful training and it'll sure wake you up!

Tuesday is sprint night for me - this time a 8x500 r3:30. I last did this on the 22nd of Nov when I managed a 1:48.7avg. Decided to target 1:47.9 or less. Stuck to it for 7, then blasted the last to make me scream a bit. Overall avg 1:45.8. Happy with that - not least because I had a hard physical day today and didn't think I would be up to much going in. Just goes to show how unpredictable my performance is! Annoyingly RowPro let me down again. Recorded 7 of the 8 intervals but errored on the last. Fortunately its still on the log card so I've copied it across. But then its a separate session and I had to do some sums myself to get the avg above. Grrrr!

Tasty 4x1 Rod. You're now very close to the holy grail of sub 1:45 for that session too.

Are you still chasing Andy Ripley's record Richard or just wanting to make sure you get the gold? 6:21 will obviously be tough...but Richard Steventon's 6:28 should be "easily" doable for you in a year or so's time?!?
Mike - 59 HWT 183

On yet another comeback after more than 3 years off this time...
MPx
Paddler

Postby bisqeet » January 10th, 2017, 4:01 pm

yeh.. sprints...love em....

EddyFletcherMarathonPlan
WeekB Day 2
4x15' R4
(15' = 7Min @ 5KP + 8' @ MP)
Heartrate cap TR (160)

http://0stress.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... A_WBD2.jpg
Dean
Training Log
bisqeet
10k Poster

Postby Two Pudding Kid » January 10th, 2017, 7:27 pm

Amazing Amazon wrote:Susan, Best of luck with Saturdays 18k (is that on the ergo?) and Sundays 5 mile cross-country run.

Yep - 18k on ergo on Saturday at 2:17 pace, (1 hour 22 minutes and 12 seconds of fun of course :o ). It just made the target, (150m to go and a bit of a sweat on), but I deliberately allowed myself a little easier run at it than full pace of 2:15 to 2:16 having done the previous long slog only 4 days before. In theory I should only be doing one long session a week, but with New Year and racing in Amsterdam and Manchester before the marathon race that I am working towards I am having to move the sessions closer together. 5 mile xcountry run on Sunday took 55:59 - old slowcoach here, (glad the weather was mild and no puddles or particularly muddy bits).
Two Pudding Kid
Paddler

Postby Two Pudding Kid » January 10th, 2017, 8:05 pm

bisqeet wrote:EddyFletcherMarathonPlan Week1Day6
60’
(2 x 30’ 3’ rest)
Default MP or
slower
HR 75% max
misread HR limits - HRmax 70% (136) - should have gone a a little faster
data courtesy of the rowpro online logbook (nifty new feature)
rest was 3mins (grrr... this 'feature' of ommitting rest time, i' not so keen on)

i'm waiting for the first person to abuse it.
i.e. doing 4x500m intervals with 10 minute rest,
then ranking the piece as a world record and having it verified by rowpro....
grrrr....

http://0stress.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... WAD6_2.jpg

If you normally average more metres than a marathon training plan that is very impressive, and far more than the 35k a week I am doing. Do you have a marathon in mind - too late to enter the Hamburg 2017 one except as a 4 person team, http://www.alster-ergo-cup.de/ergomarathon.htm, but there is also one in Nunchritz, (halfway between Dresden and Leipzig) usually July outdoors http://www.moveo-fitness.de/news.php. I am nuts enough to do them every 1-2 years - wish we could do similar in UK!

If there is a way of fudging a ranking piece guaranteed that a few people will try it, (much like the magic drag factor trick on a Model C or was it D that could get readings of over 300 and 10ks clocked way under 30 minutes). Hopefully Concept2 are aware of this and find a way of detecting where a piece is not rowed continuously, although for 2k records they have to be done at a competition etc.
Two Pudding Kid
Paddler

Postby Two Pudding Kid » January 10th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Dean - excellent HR training on these Eddie Fletcher sessions. Brr - glad I am not in Bravaria at the moment, (didnt enjoy being outside in -8c in Copenhagen about 3 years back) :? . Although you may not get as much training in as normal for you this week due to work commitments, 2 days off isnt likely to slow you down.

Mike - a wonderful 8 x 500 r3:30 at a much quicker pace than last time, looking good on the AWL pyramid and great news on your CTC result.

Richard - hi to you, and hopefully meet you in Manchester.

Rod - I really didnt expect you to be claiming a LWT PB for a spm limited 30 minutes B) , (for someone who is nearly always rating 30+spm). Brilliant result of 7559m. I am wishing you well with progressing to 1 hour of R20 better than 2:00 pace. Fantastic that you are getting through 5 x 750m r3:30 and other predictors of under 7:00 for 2k. :D

Marjorie - OTW this time of year, (much rather you than me to go rowing without gloves in 0c and then have to clean the boat). :o Sounds like you are in your element and really keen to master the technique. Superb 6 x 500m r2 to wipe out Wednesdays bad memories. I assume the swim was indoors :)

Due to various commitments I am having to swop sessions around, (dont normally do Mondays but thought that pre-sports massage was better than post massage). Glad there are about 3 lighter sessions in my plans for those occasions when you dont have the energy to do a full-on workout, (10k at 2:14.8 for me). Tuesday was a rest day, (or just one of those awkward ones where it was mammogram in the morning and chiropractor evening). No excuses for Wednesday - morning probably a faster session than of late with a target 1:59 for 500m Sub7 challenge and 4 x 4 minutes r4 after up to 30 minutes of weights and stretching. Evening - 5k run.

PS I am saving a 2k TT for my birthday, (cannot wait of course :lol: ). Looking for a creditable performance of around 8:15.
Two Pudding Kid
Paddler

Postby le grand fromage » January 11th, 2017, 9:58 am

Mike - I have been chasing Ripley's record all this time but have nearly given up chasing it now, if it comes it comes. Main reason is I'll be 60 in 14 months time and Ripleys 2k British Record is still 2+ seconds quicker than the 60s World record! The main problems really been in my head as I've had enough training pieces to suggest it's doable on a number of occasions (or at least get closer than I have been), just can't seem to nail the performance on a specific day and time.
I'm still faster than most of the distance 60s hwt British Records and pretty close to a lot of the 60s World Records as well, so am starting to 'gear' up for a crack at those when the time comes. My 'power' is starting to wane now as I get older but endurance is still pretty good so that's where my training focus is now.

TPK - Cheers but I won't be in Manchester. Next race I'm considering is the Devon 5k if it's on in September, not saying I'll do it but it gives me a training focus :wink:
2k - "into that void of silence where we cry without sound"
le grand fromage
Paddler

Postby bisqeet » January 11th, 2017, 10:13 am

Yes, been doing a lot of ut2 work this season on the erg. About 3.1 mill meters and counting. Depending on workload, real life and whatnot it's usually about 80-130km/week
Didn't do any competitions last year on the erg and the shortest otw race was 6km

I was thinking about doing a marathon in a double, but will see.
I only usually do 1 FM a season, but it made sense to up the training and try and get some speed on the good aerobic base now have...
Dean
Training Log
bisqeet
10k Poster

Postby Rod » January 12th, 2017, 5:50 am

6 x 1k.1R.

Average was 1:49.8

This was 0.4 faster than 2 weeks ago and my first time under 1:50.0 for 3 years so happy with that!

2k time trial coming up soon.....I wonder...hmmm....

Thank you to Mike and Susan for being kind enough to comment on my last report, it all helps and is greatly appreciated I assure you!

Mike.......Nice improvement on the 500's.....more big chunks coming off everything I'm sure and not long before we're competing....ooh...more pain!

Susan............Well done on the 18k and the 5 Mile Cross Country, best of luck with the Birthday 2k as well. I've got a 5 mile Cross Country race this coming Sunday.....could be muddy!
59 year old Lightweight male. Based in Sussex, just south of London, England. Best 2k recently.. 6:59.2 on 15th February 2017
Rod
1k Poster

Postby MPx » January 12th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Rod wrote:6 x 1k.1R.
This was 0.4 faster than 2 weeks ago and my first time under 1:50.0 for 3 years so happy with that!
Mike.......I'm sure and not long before we're competing....!

Hmmm. I can see that I might be frightening you into some sort of performance surge Rod, but the chances of me getting close to your current times anytime soon are on the wrong side of zero! Maybe look out next year... Really good to see that we may not have "peaked" yet though.

30 mins slow session for me today after the blood letting, just to keep moving. No rowing yesterday - we did a few miles walking the East Devon Way around Exmouth and Lympstone in the sunshine. Would have been a brill expedition except most of it was into a 40 knot icy wind which stung a bit. We still enjoyed it tho - good for twitchers. There were some guys kite surfing and it made me think of Marjorie out there without gloves. As Susan says, rather you than me!

Strong steady stuff as ever Susan - don't know how you manage to cram so much in. Enjoy your birthday (is that soon?) - hoping to see that 8:15.

Yes, Richard, it must be frustrating having to hit a peak performance for a specific race occasion. I've always just done my PBs in training and recognise that that's just not the same thing at all. I watched a few of your 2ks back in 2010-2012 and they obviously physically hurt even tho not quite at your practice pace or race plan. I find it all just goes right on certain days for me without me ever knowing why and other days hopeless when I don't otherwise feel bad at all. Hopefully one of those all good days will coincide with a race day for you sometime soon.
Mike - 59 HWT 183

MPx
Paddler

Postby Rod » January 13th, 2017, 4:50 pm

8 x 500.3:30r (all static starts).

Average pace 1:41.5. 38spm DF 130.

I had enough left to do the last rep in 1:40.0 so hope to get a better average for the session next time which will be my last one before my 2k race at the English championships on the 5th of February.

I think this tells me I might just be able to squeeze under 7 minutes.....''might'' is a powerful word though.....
Rod
1k Poster

Postby MPx » January 14th, 2017, 3:36 pm

As if to prove my point above, I had a quiet day on Friday and decided to do the missed Thursday long interval session. This was to be a 3x2k r2. I hadn't yet done one of these during this comeback, but having recently managed a 5k TT at sub 2:00 pace I thought I should target 1:59.9 for the first and knock a second off for each of the next. The first was OK - bang on 1:59.9 pace. The second started OK but I nearly bailed at about 1200. Convinced myself to stick to target for this one and I'd miss the last. So second one in the bag. 2 mins rest was long enough to encourage myself to try for the last, but at less than 500 in I had no fight to keep going and just paddled it in +10 on pace. Hopeless!

Then today I had a harder day. We've had another tree down in the storm and I started cutting that up - hard physical labour. I'd also missed my dumbbell session on both Wed and Friday so decided I needed to start my exercise session with that. Normally I just do a slow 30 mins after that, but instead decided to have another go at the 3x2k r2. First was bang on target 1:59.9, second 1:59.6 and third 1:59.2. I was screaming by the end of the last, but still got there. Absolutely no idea why I had nothing to give on Friday but was ready to make a fight of it today.

Another very solid session from you Rod. Its always going to be "might" on predictors, but you're being very consistent across a umber of pieces at the moment so there's absolutely no reason why not sub7....and that must all help with the mind games.
Mike - 59 HWT 183

MPx
Paddler

Postby Amazing Amazon » January 15th, 2017, 5:58 pm

Hi everyone,
you've all been very busy while I've been away and I'm really impressed with how everyone has improved :D.
I've had a good week's skiing (did about 6 hours, 35km skiing and 5,400m vertical per day) despite the snow being rather lacking off piste and rather thin and icy on piste until the last day, when it was suddenly very deep and soft. Only fell once (not going very fast on an easy piste :roll:). And no injuries.
However I'm very aware (from past experiences of attempting a 2k at EIRC immediately after a ski holiday) that a week's skiing is not a good prep for erging so today went for a gentle re-introduction to the erg with a 5000m.
After a 20 min warm-up, started off very steady at just under 2:10 pace for the first km and then started to negative split, accelerating in the last 2 km. Finished in 21:02.4 (2:06.2 pace) with some 1:55s. Splits were 2:09.9 (25), 2:08.3 (27), 2:07.7 (27), 2:07.7 (27), 2:05.1 (27), 2:00.1 (29). This compares to my SB of 20:45.5. Will try to do something a bit more competitive tomorrow.

Planning to be OTW Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday (weather permitting). FWIW Brian Cort, who I should be rowing with on Tuesday, turned 80 recently and not having had a good session on water on Saturday, decided to do a an ergo HM today and did it in 1:41:59.1 "without pushing it", which beats Charles Morley's old British record by about 14 minutes. :D :D .
Marjorie
Amazing Amazon
Paddler

PreviousNext

Return to Teams