What Training Have You Done Today?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Postby lwtguy » February 16th, 2017, 9:31 am

Yesterday's work was Odds and Evens. 1' / 3' / 5' / 7' / 9' / 8' / 6' / 4' / 2' with 3' rest between each.

1' (281m) (1:46.7) @27spm HR 162
3' (829m) (1:48.5) @26spm HR 174
5' (1384m) (1:48.3) @27spm HR 180
7' (1933m) (1:48.6) @27spm HR 182
9' (2481m) (1:48.8) @27spm HR 188
8' (2209m) (1:48.6) @27spm HR 190
6' (1672m) (1:47.6) @27spm HR 190
4' (1139m) (1:45.3) @29spm HR 191
2' (602m) (139.6) @32spm HR 194

This morning was a 45' bike. HR cap at 160.
Bill, 23, 160-165 lbs.
PBs-- 500m 1:28.9-- 1K 3:08.9-- 2K 6:37.7-- 5K 17:27.6
6K 21:11.2-- 30' 8342m-- 10K 35:54-- 60' 16209m
lwtguy
2k Poster
 
Posts: 466
Joined: November 1st, 2016, 3:04 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Postby Gammmmo » February 16th, 2017, 9:37 am

lwtguy wrote:Yesterday's work was Odds and Evens. 1' / 3' / 5' / 7' / 9' / 8' / 6' / 4' / 2' with 3' rest between each.

1' (281m) (1:46.7) @27spm HR 162
3' (829m) (1:48.5) @26spm HR 174
5' (1384m) (1:48.3) @27spm HR 180
7' (1933m) (1:48.6) @27spm HR 182
9' (2481m) (1:48.8) @27spm HR 188
8' (2209m) (1:48.6) @27spm HR 190
6' (1672m) (1:47.6) @27spm HR 190
4' (1139m) (1:45.3) @29spm HR 191
2' (602m) (139.6) @32spm HR 194

This morning was a 45' bike. HR cap at 160.

45mins accrued there at not THAT far off a full blown 5K effort for you. What's the idea behind the session - habituation to that sort of speed (5K v hard) and/or just a convenient way to break up the session?
45M, 5'11", 72kg, ex bike time trialler.
Image
Targets: 36:59(10K), >8200m (it will happen! I've just fallen off the wagon a bit lately), <6:45(2K)

Erg on!
User avatar
Gammmmo
10k Poster
 
Posts: 1076
Joined: March 26th, 2016, 1:12 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Postby lwtguy » February 16th, 2017, 9:42 am

Gammmmo wrote:
lwtguy wrote:Yesterday's work was Odds and Evens. 1' / 3' / 5' / 7' / 9' / 8' / 6' / 4' / 2' with 3' rest between each.

1' (281m) (1:46.7) @27spm HR 162
3' (829m) (1:48.5) @26spm HR 174
5' (1384m) (1:48.3) @27spm HR 180
7' (1933m) (1:48.6) @27spm HR 182
9' (2481m) (1:48.8) @27spm HR 188
8' (2209m) (1:48.6) @27spm HR 190
6' (1672m) (1:47.6) @27spm HR 190
4' (1139m) (1:45.3) @29spm HR 191
2' (602m) (139.6) @32spm HR 194

This morning was a 45' bike. HR cap at 160.

45mins accrued there at not THAT far off a full blown 5K effort for you. What's the idea behind the session - habituation to that sort of speed (5K v hard) and/or just a convenient way to break up the session?


I try to pace at at around my 10K pace. This is one of those workouts that you can use to train for any kind of distance test by varying the rest time and pacing. This was one of those dreaded workouts my coach gave us once in a while in college. The beauty of the way its broken up is that it allows you to really break into a groove on each piece as long as you have a plan of attack for each one. I don't remember but I think my best pace for this workout was barely under 1:47 and my 10k was 1:47.8.
Bill, 23, 160-165 lbs.
PBs-- 500m 1:28.9-- 1K 3:08.9-- 2K 6:37.7-- 5K 17:27.6
6K 21:11.2-- 30' 8342m-- 10K 35:54-- 60' 16209m
lwtguy
2k Poster
 
Posts: 466
Joined: November 1st, 2016, 3:04 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Postby G-dub » February 16th, 2017, 10:21 am

30' run 30' erg r20
Glenn Walters: 5'-8" X 205 lbs. Bday 01/09/1962
Image
G-dub
Half Marathon Poster
 
Posts: 2749
Joined: September 27th, 2014, 12:52 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Postby Rod » February 16th, 2017, 12:25 pm

Thank you for the kind comments G-dub, Ed, hjs, Paul45, Anth_F and lwtguy,

I’m sort of improving but really it's just trying to get back to somewhere a bit nearer to where I used to be as my PB as a Hwt was 6:46.3 all of 6 years ago at the age of 53 and my Lwt PB is 6:58.5 when I got a Silver in the British Champs in 2013....I'm now fighting old age and still Lwt so a bit weedy compared to back then...oh well....means I don't know how far I can go....which pushes me on. :D
60 year old Lightweight male. Based in Sussex, just south of London, England. Best 2k recently.. 6:59.2 on 15th February 2017
Rod
2k Poster
 
Posts: 400
Joined: December 21st, 2016, 9:55 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Postby bags » February 16th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Past few weeks had a few interruptions, had to travel for a funeral then sort out everything in relation to that. Training not top priority and time being pretty stretched I've been working slightly more on diet, something I havn't done for a while. 76kg at the minute. Nearly lightweight again, albeit I have barely any muscle mass compared to what I did a few years ago. :lol:

Nothing really of note, just some small measures for myself. 1' r20 1:43.8, 500 r26 1:36.1 (.1 slower than last time, was nearly 2kg lighter and went at it too hard, 100m splits - 1:34.5, 1:35.0, 1:36.0, 1:36.5, 1:38.5) couple of 100m attempts around 1:18 avg, 1:14 low pull, decent for my weight and lack of power work I've done. Lowest ever was 1:12 at 87kg and quite a lot more muscle, and weight in general.. 2k @ 7:04.3 r26. Wasn't too bad, didn't push it, just a marker in the sand, blowing pretty hard at the end, very unfit at the minute in general, comparatively of course.

Aside from that just quite a lot of 20-60 minute pieces sitting between 1:58 and 2:04 between r18 and r22.

Hopefully back to normality from next week and get settled again.
23 year old lightweight (sometimes)

PB's: 30r20 1:50.7 5k 17:33.3 2k 6:29.3 1k 3:06.6 500 1:25.6

Not as good as I was but getting there..
bags
Paddler
 
Posts: 25
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:54 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Postby remisture » February 16th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Did my first 30r20 today. Man, that was hard. No easy meters there. You low rate guys are amazing:)

Image
Image
Image
173 cm, 100 kg :oops:, '85 model

Training log | Instagram
User avatar
remisture
6k Poster
 
Posts: 622
Joined: September 23rd, 2015, 8:03 am
Location: Bergen, Norway

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Postby Anth_F » February 16th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Nice r20, Remi :wink:

120 squats
2x25 high steppers
some dumbbells

6500m (This was so enjoyable, i love it when sessions feel great like this :) )

Image

1000m cool down.
"I don't have time" is the grown up version of "my dog ate my homework"

40yo male 5'10 76kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22

My goals are simply to keep fit/get fitter and continue to enjoy rowing on the C2 :)
User avatar
Anth_F
10k Poster
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: June 29th, 2016, 11:59 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Postby remisture » February 16th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Thank you!

Nice one, yourself:)
Image
173 cm, 100 kg :oops:, '85 model

Training log | Instagram
User avatar
remisture
6k Poster
 
Posts: 622
Joined: September 23rd, 2015, 8:03 am
Location: Bergen, Norway

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Postby in440703 » February 16th, 2017, 6:52 pm

60r19 at 1:58.8 (15147m)
1000m PB 2:58.4 (Feb. 2017)
in440703
500m Poster
 
Posts: 82
Joined: April 8th, 2016, 6:23 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Postby Edward4492 » February 16th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Some pretty strong stuff being posted. Remi always in beast mode, Anthony gettin' real solid with the 2:00 paced longer pieces. I'm getting back in the swing after CRASH B's. Still one, maybe two erg events to do. Then hopefully on the water. Last night tried something different, a speed pyramid:
250m @ 1:46.8
500m @ 1:47.8
750m @ 1:48.5
500m @ 1:47.4
250m@ 1:43,4

All on 5min rest, rowed at about 2:30 through the breaks and racked up 7500m. Not a brutaly hard work out by any means, but felt good. Tonight I had the Cooper River Masters gang set up for a 20min TT, the group rowed very strong, they're getting in shape. As for me, an interesting night, set out to do anice steady piece at 2:00 pace. Quickly settled in to a brisk 27r and felt comfortable at 1:57's and finished with the following 4min splits:

1:57.6, 1:57.5, 1:57.4, 1:57.1, !:55.1

Ended up with a 1:57.0 average which matches my 5k SB of 19:30. And it felt very manageable. Go figure. I think I'm still rounding into shape, kind of backing up my thoughts that I started too late this year with my CB's prep. I'm also seeing a pattern of having decent rows (including the 2k's) when I don't go out overly hard, just hit the number and sit on it. Again, just like I've been told to do.
Edward4492
10k Poster
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: March 7th, 2014, 11:34 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Postby H2O » February 17th, 2017, 8:33 am

Infected by the disease which is in the land. 2 days off but feeling no better.
So today workout again:
20r22 1:54.8
1 hour easy bike
weights 2 circuits.
Feeling better thereafter.
H2O
2k Poster
 
Posts: 212
Joined: March 18th, 2006, 9:51 am
Location: Frankfurt, GER

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Postby Chris_Pook_49 » February 17th, 2017, 10:57 am

Recovering fitness, slowly. Slow 10km erg session yesterday, slow trot on a 5 mile jog this morning. I can almost do 20 press ups. lol/. Will get there, slowly slowly.
M50 102kg, lard arse. Targets: Sub 18min 5k, sub 1:30 22k, sub 90kg
http://www.chrispookphotography.co.uk/
Chris_Pook_49
Paddler
 
Posts: 47
Joined: October 1st, 2016, 9:40 am
Location: Baghdad

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Postby Anth_F » February 17th, 2017, 11:06 am

remisture wrote:Thank you!

Nice one, yourself:)


Thanks mate!!!


Edward4492 wrote:Some pretty strong stuff being posted. Remi always in beast mode, Anthony gettin' real solid with the 2:00 paced longer pieces. I'm getting back in the swing after CRASH B's. Still one, maybe two erg events to do. Then hopefully on the water. Last night tried something different, a speed pyramid:
250m @ 1:46.8
500m @ 1:47.8
750m @ 1:48.5
500m @ 1:47.4
250m@ 1:43,4

All on 5min rest, rowed at about 2:30 through the breaks and racked up 7500m. Not a brutaly hard work out by any means, but felt good. Tonight I had the Cooper River Masters gang set up for a 20min TT, the group rowed very strong, they're getting in shape. As for me, an interesting night, set out to do anice steady piece at 2:00 pace. Quickly settled in to a brisk 27r and felt comfortable at 1:57's and finished with the following 4min splits:


1:57.6, 1:57.5, 1:57.4, 1:57.1, !:55.1

Ended up with a 1:57.0 average which matches my 5k SB of 19:30. And it felt very manageable. Go figure. I think I'm still rounding into shape, kind of backing up my thoughts that I started too late this year with my CB's prep. I'm also seeing a pattern of having decent rows (including the 2k's) when I don't go out overly hard, just hit the number and sit on it. Again, just like I've been told to do.


Thanks, Edward!!! I like the work you are getting done at the moment too... keep it up my friend B)
"I don't have time" is the grown up version of "my dog ate my homework"

40yo male 5'10 76kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22

My goals are simply to keep fit/get fitter and continue to enjoy rowing on the C2 :)
User avatar
Anth_F
10k Poster
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: June 29th, 2016, 11:59 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Postby G-dub » February 17th, 2017, 11:41 am

2 x 20' r19 2K+25 - I guess you get out of shape training for a 2K?
Glenn Walters: 5'-8" X 205 lbs. Bday 01/09/1962
Image
G-dub
Half Marathon Poster
 
Posts: 2749
Joined: September 27th, 2014, 12:52 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

PreviousNext

Return to Training

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests