Please correct rowing techniques

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.

Please correct rowing techniques

Postby jeffteoh1 » January 11th, 2018, 8:39 am

Hi,

I've just started using the indoor rowing machine to lose weight and I'm wondering whether anyone would be kind enough to correct my rowing techniques? I've downloaded two videos to have a comparison.

The person located on the left is me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNoqCwQmLjc

Cheers,
Jeff
jeffteoh1
Paddler

Re: Please correct rowing techniques

Postby jamesg » January 11th, 2018, 10:27 am

See the C2 technique video and the description of the rowing sequence:
http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/t ... que-videos

Suggest you drop your feet as low as possible so that you can swing forward. High feet tip you backwards and stop effective use of quads and glutes, the main rowing muscles. Low feet will let you put your weight on the stretcher, so that the catch can be taken hard and fast with the legs, followed by a slow recovery.

NB effective rowing is very hard work, since it uses the largest muscles we have, so you'll have to row at low rating, 18-22 as to height.

This is good too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3028IIDxm48
77y, 188cm, 85kg, MHR 160. Last 2k (12-17) 8.20@25
jamesg
10k Poster

Postby jeffteoh1 » January 11th, 2018, 10:51 am

jamesg wrote:See the C2 technique video and the description of the rowing sequence:
http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/t ... que-videos

Suggest you drop your feet as low as possible so that you can swing forward. High feet tip you backwards and stop effective use of quads and glutes, the main rowing muscles. Low feet will let you put your weight on the stretcher, so that the catch can be taken hard and fast with the legs, followed by a slow recovery.

NB effective rowing is very hard work, since it uses the largest muscles we have, so you'll have to row at low rating, 18-22 as to height.

This is good too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3028IIDxm48

Thank you so much for your feedback!

I've been playing around with the rowing machine lately and I saw a video that suggests that the strap should be strapped around the largest part of the leg? And before I moved my feet that high, the strap mainly covered the tip of my feel i.e toes, pinkies.

So far when I row, I don't feel the "burn' on my lower body but only my arms maybe that's the reason why.
jeffteoh1
Paddler

Postby JerekKruger » January 11th, 2018, 11:05 am

jeffteoh1 wrote:So far when I row, I don't feel the "burn' on my lower body but only my arms maybe that's the reason why.

If I had to guess I'd say that's primarily due to a lack of connection at the catch (start of the drive i.e. the hard portion of the stroke). Watch your video carefully at 0.5x speed (use the settings button at the bottom right of the video to adjust speed) and notice how your legs move a lot before there's any sound coming from the machine. This means that the movement of your legs isn't actually being transferred into the machine which makes it easier on your legs since they're not working against the resistance of the machine (it also makes you go slower).

Tied to this is the fact that you're also rushing up the slide during the recovery (the easy part of the stroke) and you're bouncing in and out of the catch. A rule of thumb is that your recovery should be about twice as long as your drive: take your time coming back up the slide during the recovery so that you're under control at the catch, then push hard through the feet whilst bracing your back and core so that the power is transferred to the handle, then repeat. If you do this right you'll start of feel it in your legs and hips more and you'll find it a lot harder (you'll also go faster).

It also looks like you're bending your arms at the catch (though it's hard to tell given the view of the video) which you shouldn' be doing (and would also explain why you mostly feel it in your arms). For the first part of the drive your arms should act like ropes, simply transferring the power of the legs to the handle. Only near the end do they start pulling themselves.
Tom | 33 | 6'6" | 91kg

JerekKruger
5k Poster

Postby jamesg » January 11th, 2018, 11:06 am

Luckily, using the legs rather than the arms produces far less burn; maybe we've already used them for walking, climbing etc. However the legs will soon overwhelm the CV system if we've not already done much continuous work with them, such as rowing for 20-30 minutes. But that gets us fit. Take it easy first, while learning how, but get it right.
77y, 188cm, 85kg, MHR 160. Last 2k (12-17) 8.20@25
jamesg
10k Poster

Postby hjs » January 11th, 2018, 11:09 am

jeffteoh1 wrote:Hi,

I've just started using the indoor rowing machine to lose weight and I'm wondering whether anyone would be kind enough to correct my rowing techniques? I've downloaded two videos to have a comparison.

The person located on the left is me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNoqCwQmLjc

Cheers,
Jeff

From this angle is not much to see, should be from side, and not to close.

One thing, the stroke should be faster, during the whole stroke you should put pressure on the handle, you now just move down.

Few pointers, knees should not travel beyond vertical, trunk should move from 11 to 13.00 oclock, so the back should move back and forth.
Push with the legs, halfway the back comes in and last the arms. Recovery the other way around.

Re weight, next to diet, focus on volume, you should work up a good sweat, but do not go really out of breath
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing
hjs
Marathon Poster

Postby jackarabit » January 11th, 2018, 12:54 pm

A video from the side or profile with a field of view sufficient to include full extent of travel or movement of all body parts, including the head, would provide more information and possibly encourage more reliable insights into the virtues and defects or your rowing stroke. Amazing how many ergers (including world record holders and aspirants) throw their head back at the catch--a cervical vertabrae injury in the making. Don't cut off the head, feet or hands.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_70_5'-7"_164lb
Training Log
jackarabit
Half Marathon Poster

Postby jeffteoh1 » January 11th, 2018, 8:56 pm

JerekKruger wrote:
jeffteoh1 wrote:So far when I row, I don't feel the "burn' on my lower body but only my arms maybe that's the reason why.

If I had to guess I'd say that's primarily due to a lack of connection at the catch (start of the drive i.e. the hard portion of the stroke). Watch your video carefully at 0.5x speed (use the settings button at the bottom right of the video to adjust speed) and notice how your legs move a lot before there's any sound coming from the machine. This means that the movement of your legs isn't actually being transferred into the machine which makes it easier on your legs since they're not working against the resistance of the machine (it also makes you go slower).

Tied to this is the fact that you're also rushing up the slide during the recovery (the easy part of the stroke) and you're bouncing in and out of the catch. A rule of thumb is that your recovery should be about twice as long as your drive: take your time coming back up the slide during the recovery so that you're under control at the catch, then push hard through the feet whilst bracing your back and core so that the power is transferred to the handle, then repeat. If you do this right you'll start of feel it in your legs and hips more and you'll find it a lot harder (you'll also go faster).

It also looks like you're bending your arms at the catch (though it's hard to tell given the view of the video) which you shouldn' be doing (and would also explain why you mostly feel it in your arms). For the first part of the drive your arms should act like ropes, simply transferring the power of the legs to the handle. Only near the end do they start pulling themselves.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I'll try best to follow your tips and improve my rowing techniques.
jeffteoh1
Paddler

Postby jeffteoh1 » January 11th, 2018, 8:58 pm

jackarabit wrote:A video from the side or profile with a field of view sufficient to include full extent of travel or movement of all body parts, including the head, would provide more information and possibly encourage more reliable insights into the virtues and defects or your rowing stroke. Amazing how many ergers (including world record holders and aspirants) throw their head back at the catch--a cervical vertabrae injury in the making. Don't cut off the head, feet or hands.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! Due to the limited space in the shed, I wasn't able to record with a side view.
jeffteoh1
Paddler

Postby Neorticros » January 12th, 2018, 3:24 am

Even if we can't see your shoulders at the catch, it might be worth having a look at this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6oYDu3EO6M

As they say we tent (I made that mistake too) to lift the heels in order to put your hips below shoulders instead of lifting them in order to reach a bit longer as you lean your back a bit forward.

But you are doing pretty well !! Believe it or not there are LOTS of people in gyms that use the machine frequently and are not able to invest a couple hours of their life checking videos/tutorials. So you are on the right track !!
Neorticros
Paddler

Postby Ombrax » January 12th, 2018, 3:48 am

Neorticros wrote:Even if we can't see your shoulders at the catch, it might be worth having a look at this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6oYDu3EO6M

As they say we tent (I made that mistake too) to lift the heels in order to put your hips below shoulders instead of lifting them in order to reach a bit longer as you lean your back a bit forward.

But you are doing pretty well !! Believe it or not there are LOTS of people in gyms that use the machine frequently and are not able to invest a couple hours of their life checking videos/tutorials. So you are on the right track !!

I'd be very careful with that "don't lift your heels" thing. I'm by no means an expert, but everything I've seen says that lifting your heels is not bad, as long as you don't over-compress at the catch. (If it were that bad, then I don't think ergs would have a "flex-foot.")

The standard C2 "rowing technique" video certainly shows the rower lifting her heels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ82RYIFLN8
Ombrax
1k Poster

Postby gooseflight » January 14th, 2018, 4:51 am

Ombrax wrote:I'd be very careful with that "don't lift your heels" thing. I'm by no means an expert, but everything I've seen says that lifting your heels is not bad, as long as you don't over-compress at the catch.

Correct. In no way a Bad Thing:

http://www.biorow.com/RBN_en_2008_files/2008RowBiomNews07.pdf

"The main target for the rower during the recovery is to be relaxed for as long as possible, so the heel will rise naturally as the shin rises and the Achilles tendon pulls the heel upwards."

In a well ordered stroke the heels going down is a useful cue for opening the back.
Roy Walter
M55 | 185cm | 90kg | Journeyman Erger
PBs (2004): 6:38 (2K) | 5:22.9 (mile) | 17:39.6 (5K) | 8323 (30 mins) | 36:52 (10K) | 1:22:03 (HM '05)
gooseflight
1k Poster

Postby Neorticros » January 14th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Well that video helped me a lot since I was part of that rare 80% Shane mentions that was puting the hips underneath shoulders :)
Since you have it very clear that Jeff's position of shoulders and hips is so correct...
Somehow I thought he just started using the indoor rowing machine and was worth for him to hava a look at the video to find out if he was actually puting hips below shoulders or not.
Neorticros
Paddler

Postby Edward4492 » January 14th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Roy, you just nailed it. It's exactly what I try and do and urge newbies to do. Get the heels down and use that to trigger the back swing. By the time the heels are down and you react the knees are almost all the way down. The heels come up,' in a boat they come up enough that the shoes are tied down with 2'" to 3" ( I forget the actual measurement) of slack. Part of the safety check at a regatta is for the officials to check to make sure the shoes are properly tied off. This is for safety so the feet can be ripped out if the boat flips.
Edward4492
10k Poster

Return to Training