Newbie been challenged to sub 7 2k

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.

Newbie been challenged to sub 7 2k

Postby Never-quit » January 11th, 2017, 10:03 am

Hello everyone,

First of all thanks for taking the time to hopefully read and post a reply to this thread. I'm a firefighter and a work colleague challenged me to row a sub 7 2k. I haven't ever rowed before but taught martial arts for 6 years and competed in boxing and MMA. The first attempt I quit. DNF. Was pulling 1:30 split haha too fast too soon and I got ridiculed for quitting.

On my second attempt (or my better informed 1st real attempt as I like to call it!) I pulled a 7:21. With random and sporadic training over the past 7 weeks I managed to get it down to 7:11. I've been doing a split of all over body weights one day then rowing the next, trying to do one long row (20minutes non stop), 5x5minutes and 10x500 meters on the 3 cardio days. As I said this has been sporadic and sometimes I may have done a circuit or tabata session with my mates at work (We get to use the gym everyday for 45 minutes - I know blessed right?)

After pulling a 7:11 I am now fully committed to this and wondered if you though this was a sufficient rowing plan? I really enjoy the mind games rowing plays with me and am starting to enjoy the visit to the pain cave. When I pass this challenge I will look at moving on up. And yes, I am willing to puke/faint/die on the rower!

Many thanks.

Ps I'm 177cm and 85kg although my body fat is 17%
33 85kg 17% body fat 177cm

2k - 7:11.7 - Obsession with a sub 7
Never-quit
Paddler

Re: Newbie been challenged to sub 7 2k

Postby Marben » January 11th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Hi!

I asked almost the same question some time ago (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=151332). Since then I have gone from 7.26 to 6.52. Probably 6.50 today.

If you wanna go sub 7 as soon as possible I recommend you quit all workout except rowing. You should probably do more long session with low spm like 10K at 20 spm. You should also post a movie here so people (not me, I´m not experienced enough) can look at your technique. It really helped me a lot. Rowing strapless also helped me to get a stronger stroke.

If I could do 5 sessions a week for two months I would do 3 10-15K steady state and two interval session. 4 sessions per week would be 3 SS and one interval.
Marben
500m Poster

Postby G-dub » January 11th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Not sure your age, but I am same height but heavier. We are not ideally suited for great times on the erg, but we can do OK with hard work and fitness. This question of sub 7 on a lark comes up quite a bit and it always blows me away given how hard it has been for me to get close, let alone do it. But we all come at this from different mental and physical makeups. Your age is a big factor - it may not have taken me so long at 30-35 as it has at 54-55. But the normal story is that it is mostly an aerobic event that really doesn't need much power. It needs a big CV system. As you saw, it isn't hard to push your legs and pull the chain. What is hard is to keep that going while you are at your limits. So the prescription is lots of cardio conditioning. Some can cross over and nail it based on having an amazing base (and other attributes) already. But most need to groove the muscles and techniques and also build a bigger base, which requires time on the machine. Good luck! I really mean that. It has been a consuming endeavor for me, which has made me more fit in the process.
Glenn Walters: 5'-8" X 205 lbs. Bday 01/09/1962
G-dub
Half Marathon Poster

Postby Never-quit » January 11th, 2017, 1:28 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm 33 sorry forgot to put that in the original post. My friend that challenged me regularly cycles and runs marathons (2:59 in Paris one year!) so he is pretty fit and nailed it on his second go lol. That would affirm your above statement. I guess it's just a case of more rowing and narrowing my training down a bit until I complete the challenge. I thought I had it the other night but it started to play games with me around the 1300 mark and I slowed right off and wanted to quit but managed to complete and surprised myself if I hadn't of slowed than who knows!

Never-quit
Paddler

Postby gooseflight » January 11th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Go with Marben's advice. Just row.

You need to build a bit more endurance by rowing for 40 minutes rather than 20 minutes. Do this three of four times at week at low rate. Given your height I would say 24spm or less.

Add a couple of short interval sessions, e.g., 8 x 500m/2 min rest, 10 x 1 min on/off.

You could do three days on, one off, three on.

GIven your obvious motivation, scope for gains and your current best I could see you dipping under in a month or so.
Roy Walter
M55 | 185cm | 90kg | Journeyman Erger
PBs (2004): 6:38 (2K) | 5:22.9 (mile) | 17:39.6 (5K) | 8323 (30 mins) | 36:52 (10K) | 1:22:03 (HM '05)
gooseflight
1k Poster

Postby mdpfirrman » January 12th, 2017, 2:13 pm

Anyone I've seen your height under 7 minutes also hits the weights hard. I certainly haven't hit under 7 year (just took up rowing at 50 years old a few years back). What I've noticed is that the guys under a certain height always lift hard (or are quite powerful to start) if they are going to go under 7'. Actually, when I had my best times (based on intervals this year), I was lifting 3 X per week and on those days walking right over to the rower after a hard lift and putting in harder / interval days (though not that many). I'm wondering whether that training helped me with the muscle fatigue aspect of rowing better than anything else has. A lot of meters are necessary regardless but I'm not sure meters alone will get you quite there (though you have age and you're fairly strong already going for you). I'm exactly your height so I know the challenge too well (and roughly the same body fat as you).

Mike Pfirrman
52 Yrs old, 5' 10" (on a good day) / 185 lbs.
mdpfirrman
10k Poster

Postby bags » January 12th, 2017, 5:27 pm

mdpfirrman wrote:Anyone I've seen your height under 7 minutes also hits the weights hard. I certainly haven't hit under 7 year (just took up rowing at 50 years old a few years back). What I've noticed is that the guys under a certain height always lift hard (or are quite powerful to start) if they are going to go under 7'. Actually, when I had my best times (based on intervals this year), I was lifting 3 X per week and on those days walking right over to the rower after a hard lift and putting in harder / interval days (though not that many). I'm wondering whether that training helped me with the muscle fatigue aspect of rowing better than anything else has. A lot of meters are necessary regardless but I'm not sure meters alone will get you quite there (though you have age and you're fairly strong already going for you). I'm exactly your height so I know the challenge too well (and roughly the same body fat as you).

1.77 is plenty tall for rowing. I number of lightweight international rowers I know are between 5'10 and 6'2. I myself am 6'1 and got to sub 7 age 15 doing only 2 erg sessions and 2 water sessions a week. Until you get to the low 6.xx power really isn't an issue for most. This will change with age as muscle tends to atrophy in which lifting would help.
23 year old lightweight (sometimes)

PB's: 30r20 1:50.7 5k 17:33.3 2k 6:29.3 1k 3:06.6 500 1:25.6

Not as good as I was but getting there..
bags
Paddler

Postby G-dub » January 13th, 2017, 9:27 am

My bad, I thought 177 cm was 5'8", but I suppose it's more like 5'10". We are NOT the same height! At your enviable age you can get there with just some good hard work I would hope. I bet the Pete Plan can get you there in 6 /9 weeks - 2 / 3rounds. Go for it.
Glenn Walters: 5'-8" X 205 lbs. Bday 01/09/1962
G-dub
Half Marathon Poster

Postby Cyclingman1 » January 13th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Seven minute 2K is a quasi standard in the erging world for non elite athletes. But a lot of factors come into play.

For those in their 20s and 30s, if they have much of an athletic background, sub-7 is really not all that hard. They just need halfway decent technique and some time on the rower. Size is not much of a factor. The unfit can get there with good training. However, when you jump up to the 50s and beyond, sub-7 is a lot more dicey. If one does not bring fitness and/or athleticism to the erg, chances are sub-7 will remain out of reach. Getting to sub-7 is a notable achievement for the older set. That is why it is talked about so much. You really can't have the same unofficial standard for someone 33 and another 66.
Cyclingman1
10k Poster

Postby jamesg » January 14th, 2017, 1:19 am

Was pulling 1:30 split

If you can do that for 500m, a 7 minute 2k is a stroll in the park, IF you have the endurance and then warm up well after taking time to plan the race.

As 2000m is a long way, racing is done slowly at the start. Just a few hard half-strokes to get to cruise speed (1:45 or 300W for 7' 2k), then pull long steady and relaxed. This will let you wind it up in the second half to pass all those who blasted off too fast.

So what's needed is a fast cruise pace, and plenty of endurance to maintain it. Both will come from hard work at 20-24, long distance.
76y, 188cm, 86kg, MHR 170. 3km/h in water, 10km/h on. Last 2k (1-16) 8.10@26
jamesg
10k Poster

Postby Never-quit » February 24th, 2017, 7:36 am

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know I got it down to 7:03.6 with your advice. I'm going to get it at the next attempt. I'll keep you posted.

Never-quit
Paddler

Return to Training