Training Plans & Pace Goals

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.

Training Plans & Pace Goals

Postby Matthew » October 4th, 2017, 5:17 pm

Hello Everyone,

Is it a good plan overall to follow the Concept2 workouts you can have emailed to you from the concept2 website? I've been following them for a couple of months now, and enjoy them, but not sure what goals they are written for. My two main goals: 1) Increasing overall fitness, and 2) Weight loss. Do you have a better source for workout plans that might target my goals?

Also, I truly enjoy working out on the erg, but I'm frustrated with pace/spm. Being new (2 months on the erg), Older (36), Overweight (by about 20lbs) and out of shape, I could really use some coaching regarding pace goals during specific workouts. Do you know of any plans that also spell out target pace for the athlete? (Being a former track athlete, I would have specific time/effort goals written into many of my workouts. For example, most Mondays we ran 5x600m for a specific time...our pace was more/less intense at different points on the track).

Thank you for any help you may have,
Matthew
Matthew
Paddler

Re: Training Plans & Pace Goals

Postby Anth_F » October 5th, 2017, 9:33 am

Welcome,

It's not bad at all to follow the C2 WOD... thats exactly what i was doing in the beginning before i even discovered this forum. Wouldn't even worry about pace at this stage only 2 months in!! Focus more on doing lots of longer steady state low rate sessions at a pace that is comfortable for you with calm breathing throughout. For example 30-40 mins at 19-22 spm or some 8-10k sessions @ a comfortable pace. It's the amount of volume that will see you get naturally fitter and faster on the erg and with practice your rate will drop down as you get used to it and stronger.

For weight loss will depend a bit on diet food intake as well. Diet is king, exercise is queen, always keep that in mind.

Good luck.
"I don't have time" is the grown up version of "my dog ate my homework"

40yo male 5'10 76kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22

My goals are simply to keep fit/get fitter and continue to enjoy rowing on the C2 :)
Anth_F
10k Poster

Postby Rod » October 5th, 2017, 9:37 am

Matthew wrote:Do you know of any plans that also spell out target pace

http://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/the-pete-plan/
60 year old Lightweight male. Based in Sussex, just south of London, England. Best 2k recently.. 6:59.0 on 20th November 2017.
Rod
2k Poster

Postby Matthew » October 14th, 2017, 3:48 pm

Thank you so much for the feedback and help. I'll be focusing on volume for the next few months. Do you think the "Medium" workout in the C2 program is an ok place to start. That is what I've been doing.

Thank you,
Matthew
Matthew
Paddler

Postby Anth_F » October 14th, 2017, 5:03 pm

Medium one has quite a bit interval stuff. There is a good variety from day to day to keep your workouts interesting. Some get bored quick doing the same stuff over and over! I would however suggest throwing in at least 1 or 2 longer steady state low rate 18-22spm sessions as well. Such as 30-40min row, those will help a lot with bringing on your fitness.
"I don't have time" is the grown up version of "my dog ate my homework"

40yo male 5'10 76kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22

My goals are simply to keep fit/get fitter and continue to enjoy rowing on the C2 :)
Anth_F
10k Poster

Postby kerosene » October 15th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Pete plan beginner might be worth checking.

I would join others in suggesting steady state stuff if it doesn't bore you out of your mind.
It's also good to (as beginner) to tey semi serious time teials on longer stuff like 5K, 30min and 10K.

Having done a hard 5K a few times gives you a sendible gauge on workout pacings. It also gives you a ranking in concept2 log if you so choose, I think that it is quite motivational to start climbing those ladders.

It is typical to express workout pacings as 2K *2 (500m pace of your best/current 2K + 2 seconds).
I guess this is what you are after, wirkouts in the form of: "30 minutes, at 5K+5 pace".

Be patient for a bit more, you can totally have. Program like that and I think it is liberatong to not have to think too much when you are at it. That being said your gains in the beginning re quite quick so "just doing it" might be just fine.
male 39yo, 94kg, 192cm. Regular training started July 2017.
PBs: 500m_1:30.8 | 1K_3:19.2 |2K_7:12.9 |5K_19:22.7 | 10K_39:58.7 | 30min_7,542m
kerosene
Paddler

Postby jackarabit » October 15th, 2017, 3:56 pm

The unique feature of the C2 WODs is the emphasis on rate ladders. This bias is created by the necessity of OTW (on the water) rowers to learn and master the timing of the stroke in the interest of coordnated and synchronized propulsion of the boat typically by 2 to 8 crew members. Pacing information is absent except as implied by the format and volume of the workout.

There are explicit pacing instructions in Pete "lunchtime" 2k prep but only cursory reference to pace differential as determinant of physiological adaptations which build cardiovascular supply, musculoskeletal endurance, and power generation (force/time).

Site linked below offers zone-based (heart rate or power level) training plans which explicity prescribe discrete intensity/pace/power levels ideally suited to the specfic development of strength, endurance, and sustained power generation. Not exactly the Church of Whassup, Brah but still a good basic platform on which to develop your own thinking about the purpose of aerobic vs. anaerobic intensity and the value of continuous vs. interval workout format.

https://indoorsportservices.co.uk/training/interactive
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_70_5'-7"_164lb
Training Log
jackarabit
Half Marathon Poster

Return to Training