Goals: a review and looking forward

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.

Goals: a review and looking forward

Postby _PBH_ » June 12th, 2018, 11:22 am

This site is great. Without it, I think I probably would have moved on from rowing, out of boredom, months ago. Thanks to everyone that contributes here. Your motivation keeps me going.

I started rowing in January after buying my wife a model D for Christmas. Since hitting 40 two years ago I've struggled with my pant waste size, and have had to increase that size twice. I couldn't blame it on the laundry lady shrinking my pants any longer...

I also was having a hard(er) time performing the way I always have in the past while out hiking in the mountains of southern Utah (8000 - 10,000ft elevation). I hate gyms. I hate running. We now have an erg in the basement....
I was at my highest weight ever (188lbs / 6' tall)...
pants too small....
heart screaming to get in shape....
It was time to do something about it. So I started rowing.

Like many newbs, my expectations were crazy. I could barely row a 2k without keeling over dead, and yet I was determined to row it in under 8:00. That was my main goal, aside from a general goal of getting in better shape and losing a few pounds. I found this site and got some pointers. I also found a rowing plan aimed specifically at improving 5k distance, and the workouts all fit within 45 minutes which I can squeeze into my weekday mornings . I've been following that plan for the last 11 weeks, and have seen a nice improvement in my performance on the rower.

After rowing for 6 months, I've noticed a few things:

A. My heart doesn't work as hard as it did at the first of the year.
B. I don't enjoy getting up at 4:45am -- but I do it. After ~5 minutes on the rower, I always think to myself that I'm glad I got up early to row. I feel awake, alive, and ready for the day.
C. My pants fit again. I actually cinch the belt to the last notch. The only problem is that my basketball shorts and jogging pants keep falling down... :roll:
D. I've lost 16lbs. That's surprising to me. I really didn't think I had that much extra -- and yet I can tell (or rather see!) that I still have some spare weight that needs to go!
C. That 2k goal? I haven't tried to beat it yet in an actuall TT. My training schedule has me do a few variable sessions including 2x2k and 3x2k, in which my times are better than my actual TT best. One of these days I'll put in an effort and beat that time -- heck, my 5k best is @ 2:02 pace. I'm just not worried about that 2k time right now.
E. I wish I had more time (don't we all?). Life is busy, and trying to find another 15 minutes to squeeze out is hard. I've settled into this new morning routine. I'm going to stick with it.

Most of the above was accomplished with help from this site. The people on this site have been very helpful, positive, and encouraging. Thank you to you all.

New goals for the rest of 2018:

1. surpass 1 million meters in 2018. This should happen in December. I'm currently on pace for 1.1million. I know that I have some busy periods coming up (softball all-stars for my girls, fall hunts, etc.), but I think I can keep my weekly averages at a pace to get that first million. Maybe even 1.2.

2. Try to lose a few more pounds -- 165? We'll see. Buying new pants for the opposite reason as previous isn't a bad thing. (Goal 3 might prevent goal 2)
3. Incorporate some strength / toning training. I don't want any bulk, but rather definition. push-ups and pull-ups. Why not add some vanity to the mix?

Again, thanks for the motivation.
Brett | 42 | 6'0" | 173lbs
_PBH_
500m Poster

Re: Goals: a review and looking forward

Postby Dangerscouse » June 12th, 2018, 11:56 am

_PBH_ wrote:This site is great. Without it, I think I probably would have moved on from rowing, out of boredom, months ago. Thanks to everyone that contributes here. Your motivation keeps me going.

I started rowing in January after buying my wife a model D for Christmas. Since hitting 40 two years ago I've struggled with my pant waste size, and have had to increase that size twice. I couldn't blame it on the laundry lady shrinking my pants any longer...

I also was having a hard(er) time performing the way I always have in the past while out hiking in the mountains of southern Utah (8000 - 10,000ft elevation). I hate gyms. I hate running. We now have an erg in the basement....
I was at my highest weight ever (188lbs / 6' tall)...
pants too small....
heart screaming to get in shape....
It was time to do something about it. So I started rowing.

Like many newbs, my expectations were crazy. I could barely row a 2k without keeling over dead, and yet I was determined to row it in under 8:00. That was my main goal, aside from a general goal of getting in better shape and losing a few pounds. I found this site and got some pointers. I also found a rowing plan aimed specifically at improving 5k distance, and the workouts all fit within 45 minutes which I can squeeze into my weekday mornings . I've been following that plan for the last 11 weeks, and have seen a nice improvement in my performance on the rower.

After rowing for 6 months, I've noticed a few things:

A. My heart doesn't work as hard as it did at the first of the year.
B. I don't enjoy getting up at 4:45am -- but I do it. After ~5 minutes on the rower, I always think to myself that I'm glad I got up early to row. I feel awake, alive, and ready for the day.
C. My pants fit again. I actually cinch the belt to the last notch. The only problem is that my basketball shorts and jogging pants keep falling down... :roll:
D. I've lost 16lbs. That's surprising to me. I really didn't think I had that much extra -- and yet I can tell (or rather see!) that I still have some spare weight that needs to go!
C. That 2k goal? I haven't tried to beat it yet in an actuall TT. My training schedule has me do a few variable sessions including 2x2k and 3x2k, in which my times are better than my actual TT best. One of these days I'll put in an effort and beat that time -- heck, my 5k best is @ 2:02 pace. I'm just not worried about that 2k time right now.
E. I wish I had more time (don't we all?). Life is busy, and trying to find another 15 minutes to squeeze out is hard. I've settled into this new morning routine. I'm going to stick with it.

Most of the above was accomplished with help from this site. The people on this site have been very helpful, positive, and encouraging. Thank you to you all.

New goals for the rest of 2018:

1. surpass 1 million meters in 2018. This should happen in December. I'm currently on pace for 1.1million. I know that I have some busy periods coming up (softball all-stars for my girls, fall hunts, etc.), but I think I can keep my weekly averages at a pace to get that first million. Maybe even 1.2.

2. Try to lose a few more pounds -- 165? We'll see. Buying new pants for the opposite reason as previous isn't a bad thing. (Goal 3 might prevent goal 2)
3. Incorporate some strength / toning training. I don't want any bulk, but rather definition. push-ups and pull-ups. Why not add some vanity to the mix?

Again, thanks for the motivation.

Great to hear that Brett. Bodyweight exercises are a great addition to a training regime. Make sure to do core workouts too e.g. variations of planks and pike press ups for shoulders

We all have different goals and different ways of getting there but one thing is constant; the help motivation and encouragement from some great people on this forum.

It's the kindred spirit / camaraderie of it all that constantly shines through.
44 Years Old; 6' 4"; 95kg; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:38; 5k= 17:29; 6k= 21:54; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,242m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

Instagram: stuwenman
Dangerscouse
10k Poster

Postby jimmyshand » June 12th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Great post! Thanks for sharing this.

I feel kind of similar, and although I don't get up quite as early I do enjoy the early morning rows while my wife and children are still asleep and I can just row alone without much else to think about but good form.

Also sounds like you could easily break 8:00 for 2k if you wanted to.
41 years old - 96kg/212lbs - 198cm/6'6" - living in England

PBs -
1k 3:18.2 | 2k 6:59.2 | 5k 18:47.9 | 30min 7,851m | 10k 39.20.0 | 60min 15,089m

Rowing since March 2017, for fitness and to challenge myself.
jimmyshand
1k Poster

Postby hobbit » June 12th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Good post, Brett. It made me smile. And great progress!

You might be interested in the Fitness Blender 10 min abs workout that I use. It's free on Youtube. I recommend it.
M 63 163cm/5' 4" 54kg/120lb
5k 21:03, 30' 7038m
hobbit
500m Poster

Postby mitchel674 » June 12th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Kudos to you. I too have found the motivation and encouragement from the great folks on this site to be the key to my continued dedication to erging over the past 10 months.

Remember to give back. Encourage and educate newbies who periodically show up here looking for advice.
53yo male, 6ft, 162lbs
mitchel674
2k Poster

Postby Dangerscouse » June 12th, 2018, 1:25 pm

I also get up at 4:45. I have to get up that early otherwise I'd never fit my 10 miles, or more, in.

Having no kids and working from home has some big advantages
44 Years Old; 6' 4"; 95kg; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:38; 5k= 17:29; 6k= 21:54; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,242m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

Instagram: stuwenman
Dangerscouse
10k Poster

Postby Dreadfish » June 12th, 2018, 4:21 pm

way to go Brett
good stuff. i had a stint back when i was late 30s and since then got into the couch potato mode until it was starting to affect my health. then i rediscovered the erg and this site.
Like you i found the encouragement and support from guys on here excellent and well worth it. to the degree that while i row alone at the gym i am not alone as there is a whole massive group here doing the same thing.
again my thanks go to all those who encourage and advise.
Erik
55 yo from New Zealand
6'4 and 115kg

Dreadfish
2k Poster

Return to Training