How to row a 6k erg test

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.

How to row a 6k erg test

Postby mstshtml » September 26th, 2007, 4:06 am

Hello,
So here is my story...I became interested in crew my junior year of high school. I was a novice spring of my junior year and rowed 1 season of fall my senior year. Even though I rowed in fall (of 2006), I never was tested for a 6k on the erg. I was on my high school's varsity B boat my senior year (spring of 2007). I never really was that great only because I never was crazy athletic. Crew was my first sport I really ever played and even though I definately got in way better shape compared to what I used to be, I wasnt the best on the team. Anyway, so now I row for a club college team. I go to Arizona State University and they have a small club team, but still VERY competitive. We rowed our first 6k of the season today, and my first 6k ever. To say the least I went into it not knowing much, I pretty much started of too fast and died toward the middle. Our couch kind of sprung this on us yesterday so I really didnt have much time to prepare. Anyway, I was dissappointed with my results. My time was a 24mins and 33seconds. and My Average 500m split was 2:01.9
So I have a couple questions, does anyone have any tips on how to row the peace, for example rates, start of at a certain rate then slow down, or anything. Also what are the most effective ways to train for this.
Because my coach was dissappointed with all of our times he wants us to start doing these tests once a week now. So there is no doubt I will be doing this again next week, and the week after, and so on.
Thanks.
-Steve
mstshtml
Paddler

Postby ancho » September 26th, 2007, 6:37 am

Hi, Steve!
The training for the 6k tests should be pretty muchg the same training you do for your club.
If your coach is very disapointed with all results, he may have to check his training plans.
A 6k test every week seems pretty tough to me...

You will find some very interesting trainings plans on this or on the UK forum, just to name a few: Te Wolveine Plan, Pete Plan, Interactive Plan, etc.

They use to be focussed on the 2k results, but if you improve your 2k, you sure will also improve your 6k...

Regarding the 6k pacing, and if you have no other indicator test available, set yourself a realistic target (e.g. from a teammate you feel is more or less similiar to you).
Try to do an even pacing from the beginning, and speed up towards the last 2000m if you feel you've got something left in the tank.
Last 500 m full out!
You sure will scratch quite some seconds off your time just by even pacing/negative splitting instead of a "fly and die".

24-28 spm seems a realistic rate to hold for 6k.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
www.barcelonarem.com
Sub7 IRC
yr 1966, 1,87 m, 8? kg
Be Water, My Friend!
ancho
6k Poster

Postby Gerhard » September 26th, 2007, 7:50 am

ancho wrote:You sure will scratch quite some seconds off your time just by even pacing/negative splitting instead of a "fly and die".

Many of my attempts to pace evenly actually result in an unintentional fly and die...I usually know after about 4K :(
Gerhard
2k Poster

Postby PaulS » September 26th, 2007, 9:04 am

Now that you know you could finish in an avg pace of 2:01.9, get right on that for the first 3k, then use the "rule of halves" - At each halfway point, either speed up the pace being displayed by 1 second or continue with the current pace depending on how you are feeling. i.e. points to pick up the pace on a 6k are 3k, 1500m, 750m, 375m, ~200m, ~100m to empty.

You should be feeling pretty good at the halfway point, but if you are still feeling good by the 3/4 point you could have started faster. Just don't bite off more than you can chew. 1 second in Avg pace is 12 seconds off over the full 6k, and you will get to a point where that is too big a bite eventually.

Plus, if you are totally flailing at the end, that wouldn't be very useful in a boat anyhow, so maintain form along the way.
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."
PaulS
10k Poster

Return to Training