Rowing your running miles

If you run, cycle, swim, play ball, ride, whatever, this is the forum for you.

Re: Rowing your running miles

Postby robmoseley » February 21st, 2013, 3:00 pm

Andrew,

I've been incorporating rowing into my marathon training for a few years with some degree of success. I initially used the FIRST model (3 high quality run days, 2 cross training sessions) and ran a couple of marathons in 3:15 and 3:22 (my PR is 2:36, but that was way back in 1981) respectively; total run mileage was about 30 miles per week, total rowing was 15-20k. I've since modified my program to include more high quality rowing into the overall plan. In addition to 30 miles per week of running, I generally do around 50-60K or rowing a week spread 3 days; one session will average 20K of steady state at a stroke rate of 18-22 (usually averages about 2:17/500m), a threshold session of about 15K, to include warmup/cooldown of 3k each, 4-5 x 2K @ 2:04-6/500m, and another 15K session of warmup/cooldown of 3K each, 6-8 x 500M @ 1:55-2:00/500M. Overall, that averages out to about 100-120K per week of pretty good quality work. As long as I don't fall apart, I'm optimistic that my next marathon will be a success. At this point, 3:15-3:20 is the target. I also do 2 30 minute kettlebell workouts per week for strength. I've found that after many years and miles, rowing helps maintain fitness with less impact on my body. After the marathon, hope to focus exclusively on rowing with a goal of rowing a sub 7 minute 2K. Good luck in your recovery.

Bob
robmoseley
Paddler

Postby adsimpson999 » February 21st, 2013, 3:28 pm

Thanks Bob. Great info! And nice marathon PR by the way!!!

After about 4 weeks of rowing I am bringing running back in to my schedule and my ankle/foot seems to be cleared up which is nice. I am planning on a race early March so I'll get a sense of my actual running fitness then. The marathon is late April.

I've been doing the EZ rows in around 2:20/500m or so and my simulated run tempo intervals at around 2:00/500m or so. My maximum combined row/run mileage has been 50 miles per week. I'll let you know how the marathon goes to compare notes!

Andrew
Andrew Simpson
RRCA Certified Running Coach
http://www.fexycoaching.com/andrew.php
adsimpson999
Paddler

Postby adsimpson999 » May 23rd, 2013, 1:15 pm

As a follow up to this I ended up running a 3:09 at the Big Sur Marathon. I think rowing the running miles in my marathon training program really helped in keeping me in shape. I definitely lost some speed but gained some strength both upper body and legs that was useful in the race.
Andrew Simpson
RRCA Certified Running Coach
http://www.fexycoaching.com/andrew.php
adsimpson999
Paddler

Previous

Return to Cross-Training