Ski-Erg. How much room is 'ENOUGH' room.

Talk about the ski ergometer and training tool from Concept2

Ski-Erg. How much room is 'ENOUGH' room.

Postby mpround1 » March 11th, 2016, 5:37 am

Hi Everyone.

I am hoping to purchase 6x Ski-ergs (wall mount) for my gym. I have a length of wall exactly 6.0 metres wide to fit them too. The 6metre space has a large (ish) drainage pipe on the wall at either end. The space each side of the pipes is filled with an RX Speed rope rack at one end and a 6metre boxing mirror/heavy bag station (8 bags are hanging) at the other end.

Basically, I can't extend beyond the 6metre area without stuffing up other elements of the gym...I can't have less than 6 ski-ergs either without really messing about the way our circuits run.

So - do I have enough room?

Each of the ski-ergs is 52cm across (at the top) - which in really (really) simple terms means there would be 48cm between the edges of two ski-ergs. Now this is less than the recommended distance but more than I have seen at a couple of other gyms...the problem is the other gyms only use them as an 'ad hoc' activity whereas we would be using them as a station in a circuit and people would be side-by-side for several minutes at a time...and whilst I have the money to spend I certainly don't have the money to WASTE - if we proceed to buy them, these things will be pressed into service on a very (very) regular basis.

It has been suggested that I purchase 4 (or 5) wall mounted and one x stand-alone unit to solve the problem...my reluctance to do this is around the fact that the 'free standing' unit will need to 'stand' somewhere when it is not being used...and that 'somewhere' is almost assuredly going to be in the way of something else. It really is 6x wall-mounts or BUST.

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.

Michael.
mpround1
Paddler

Re: Ski-Erg. How much room is 'ENOUGH' room.

Postby Ombrax » March 11th, 2016, 6:29 pm

Each of the ski-ergs is 52cm across (at the top) - which in really (really) simple terms means there would be 48cm between the edges of two ski-ergs. Now this is less than the recommended distance but more than I have seen at a couple of other gyms...the problem is the other gyms only use them as an 'ad hoc' activity whereas we would be using them as a station in a circuit and people would be side-by-side for several minutes at a time...

From what little I've seen, I think in terms of actually using the SkiErgs, 48 cm = 18.9 inches between units is plenty of room and adjacent users are unlikely to bump into each other while skiing. The main issue IMO is whether or not that spacing intrudes on the users' "personal space." For example, how closely do gym space rowers or stationary bikes? It isn't a perfect comparison, but for our purposes might be good enough. If you find that rowers and bikes typically provide much more room than that then maybe your spacing might be too tight. If not, you may be good to go. Another factor is the user's focus - if s/he's hyper-focused on the monitor, then maybe having someone a few cm away won't be an issue.

Finally, there's the problem of multiple individuals getting to the ergs at the same time, or as others are using adjacent units. Is there enough room to do that easily, or will folks have to jockey into position?

Good Luck

Caveat: I have little in-person experience with ski-ergs, but more with rowers, so much of what I've said above is speculation.
Ombrax
1k Poster

Postby skiffrace » March 12th, 2016, 5:20 pm

Any chance you can arrange the ski ergs on the 6 meter wall in a slight(shallow) semi-circle, with the apex being at 3-meter mark, and the edges at 0 and 6 meters?
This would 1) gave the skiers a bit more elbow room and 2) allow them to better see each-other, which might be a+ in group exercise.
This would eliminate the option of wall-mounted ergs, but perhaps the overall improvement is worth it?

Also, as the saying goes, "one experiment is worth 10 'expert opinions'".
Can you visit some other gym, and determine how much space between ski ergs is a) necessary and b)practical.
skiffrace
500m Poster

Postby Balkan boy » March 13th, 2016, 6:03 am

I use the SkiErg with the floor stand.
The width of the stand is 60cm and that's about minimum of space to use it comfortably. I probably use around 70+cm when pulling vigorously. I have a wall to one side that is 30cm from the edge of the sand. I wouldn't feel comfortable being closer to the wall then that. I can't say how it would be to have someone very close pulling hard.
You're on the edge of practicality with your 6m wall, but it can be done with carful positioning.

Look how much space this guy is using: https://www.instagram.com/p/1c_wIeDWyg/?taken-by=samloch
Balkan boy
1k Poster

Postby skiffrace » March 13th, 2016, 9:19 am

I just tried to simulate the movement (without the actual erg) and found that my elbows are almost 3 feet apart.
That's ~90cm. I think few people in the US would be comfortable being only a few centimeters (inches) away from next sweaty exerciser.
Any deviation from the straight path and you are locking elbows with your neighbor.
OP appears to be located in Europe, based on his use of metric system (?)
Even in crowded and overpopulated Europe, where people are used to being in close quarters to one another, that may still be on the very edge of comfort and practicality.
skiffrace
500m Poster

Postby mpround1 » March 13th, 2016, 7:18 pm

Australia.

:-)
mpround1
Paddler

Postby skiffrace » March 14th, 2016, 6:42 am

mpround1 wrote:Australia.

Oi, sorry :o
skiffrace
500m Poster

Postby mwalsh » March 14th, 2016, 1:34 pm

skiffrace wrote:
mpround1 wrote:Australia.

Oi, sorry :o

"That's not a Ski-Erg layout. THIS is a Ski-Erg layout"*

*What Crocodile Dundee would no doubt say in this situation.
Age: 54 Weight: 91.5kg/202lbs Height: 174cm/5' 8.5" Fitness level: jog 5 miles daily and swim 30 minutes almost daily; I'd say fit but with a persistent beer gut.

mwalsh
Paddler

Return to Concept2 SkiErg