Performance Diet Types and Terminology

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower

Re: Performance Diet Types and Terminology

Postby left coaster » October 17th, 2016, 11:28 pm

Yes, Mike, through a standard DNA test such as 23andme or through a physician if one wanted to better understand APOE status and risk for Alzheimer's disease. Those with an APOE 4 allele are at much greater risk, which is were most of the interest in APOE status springs from. The less than 1% of us who are 2/2 have the lowest dementia risk but evidence is emerging that we may be more vulnerable to metabolic disorders and diabetes.

Finding 2/2 participants is really difficult and there are almost no studies available with an adequate sample size to have predictive power for APOE 2 folks... you need to test over 1000 people to get 100 2/2's -- very expensive! We still need to extrapolate from genetic knock-in animal studies, mostly mouse. Thankfully findings in mice don't immediately generalize to humans as they've found a bunch of issues in mice that have the 2 allele, if they translated directly to people I'd be f***ed.

As a disclaimer, I don't endorse the diet recommendations above, but I do find them interesting. I've known for a very long time that I respond poorly to simple carbs, since my teens actually, and I've come to believe this is influenced by my apoe status. I really like fatty fish and dense, slow release, energy sources -- the older I get the more I lean this way.
100m: 15.5, 1Min: 353, 500m: 1:29, 5K: 19:41.2, 10K: 40:46

"The difficult is what takes a little time; the impossible is what takes a little longer"

6'1", 235, 45yrs, male
Started rowing September 2015
left coaster
2k Poster

Postby mdpfirrman » October 18th, 2016, 9:54 am

Thanks Lefty. Though the 23andme doesn't specifically state which you are, you can pretty much gather which you are from their health summaries. Interesting stuff. My wife has ongoing health issues (fibromyalgia) do to genetics (from her health report I think we are pretty close to what this recommends for her - limit saturated fat - we don't do dairy at all or eggs but do a lot of nuts and olive oils which are all unsaturated). The take I got from this is she should do less cardio time wise but more HIIT work (which I've encouraged her to do anyway).

This just confirms a lot of what I thought about her diet / workouts. Cool link.

Mike Pfirrman
51 Yrs old, 5' 10" (on a good day) / 185 lbs.
mdpfirrman
6k Poster

Postby left coaster » October 18th, 2016, 10:20 am

I'm in Canada and here 23andme is allowed to share APOE status results. It comes with a little button you need to click which acknowledges something about sensitive medical information etc., once you know you can't unknown and not everyone is well equipped to handle the information. I'm also still on their old site, the one with all the health reports that was developed before the FDA pulled their leash.
100m: 15.5, 1Min: 353, 500m: 1:29, 5K: 19:41.2, 10K: 40:46

"The difficult is what takes a little time; the impossible is what takes a little longer"

6'1", 235, 45yrs, male
Started rowing September 2015
left coaster
2k Poster

Previous

Return to Health & Fitness