New kid on the block - BikeErg

Discuss all things related to the BikeErg, Concept2's newest product.

Re: New kid on the block - BikeErg

Postby Livio Livius » August 21st, 2017, 3:21 pm

Would expect 30 sec peak power above 1.000 watts. This is at least what is seen by pro cyclist and speedskaters.

Btw interesting discussion on Slowtwitch (triathlon forum) about the BikeErg http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post ... 98922#last

Specially jow the power is calculated on the bikeerg vs rower
"The trouble is C2 can't use the same logic to calculate power for a bike as they can for a rowing ergo. For a rowing ergo you can use the recovery phase and the deceleration of the flywheel to effectively calculate the air density. But for a cycling erg then you don't have that phase where you know no power is being applied".
Livio Livius
1k Poster

Postby CaseyClarke » August 21st, 2017, 4:20 pm

Livio Livius wrote:Would expect 30 sec peak power above 1.000 watts. This is at least what is seen by pro cyclist and speedskaters.

Btw interesting discussion on Slowtwitch (triathlon forum) about the BikeErg http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post ... 98922#last

Specially jow the power is calculated on the bikeerg vs rower
"The trouble is C2 can't use the same logic to calculate power for a bike as they can for a rowing ergo. For a rowing ergo you can use the recovery phase and the deceleration of the flywheel to effectively calculate the air density. But for a cycling erg then you don't have that phase where you know no power is being applied".

Yeah, I'm above 900 watts for 30 seconds so definitely well above 1000 for sprint cyclists and other powerful people.

Not too sure exactly how the power will be calculated, am only really interested how those wattage readouts compare to other bikes like the Wattbike for the same effort level. If you know your 1 minute / 3 minute / 20 minute / 60 minute, etc power using a given device (Wattbike, Powermeter, etc) then easy to get watts numbers from the BikeErg and see how they compare. I'm hoping they come very close to Wattbike numbers.
CaseyClarke
500m Poster

Postby sekitori » August 22nd, 2017, 5:10 pm

I believe that due to its excellent price, high quality, and C2's outstanding reputation, the BikeErg should be quite successful. If it is, it the next step could be a recumbent model. Will there be one in the future? Because Concept 2 does not like to reveal new products until they're ready for sale, I assume we won't know about that until it actually is.
sekitori
1k Poster

Postby Robbie100 » August 24th, 2017, 10:46 pm

For people who have bought or started using the bike erg - how does the ride feel? Is it closest to riding a real bike or is it just like any other spin bikes? Also I've noticed the seat can't be adusted forward/backward just up/down. I wonder if this could be an issue for some people relative to where the pedals are mounted.

How's the noise level? A chain drive would have provided a more authentic feel but they opted to use a belt instead. Can't wait for this new product to hit Australia. This would be a perfect supplement to my rowing and provide a stronger lower body workouts.
Robbie100
Paddler

Postby jamesg » August 25th, 2017, 2:00 am

The trouble is C2 can't use the same logic to calculate power for a bike as they can for a rowing ergo

Very similar, the Bike-erg has a freewheel too. This allows calculation of the current drag factor during idling, using inertia and fan speed data.

Power dissipation by the fan is a function only of drag factor and fan speed, so if both are known, power can be calculated and the Work summed.
77y, 188cm, 85kg, MHR 170. 3km/h in water, 10km/h on. Last 2k (1-16) 8.10@26
jamesg
10k Poster

Postby Cant Climb » August 25th, 2017, 8:58 am

So I've had the Bike Erg for 2 workouts so far and i don't think perspiration into the flywheel is a huge deal. I'd say with my setup 85% of the sweat doesn't drip into the flywheel. Some sweat from the left arm might get in there but a towel (which you'll need) on the left handlebar blocks even most of that.

As for a workout, Is an aszszs kicking. I've spent Eons on mag trainers and such but this is a more effective/complete workout.
Cant Climb
Paddler

Previous

Return to Concept2 BikeErg