Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

From the CRASH-B's to an online challenge, discuss the competitive side of erging here.

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby Citroen » April 30th, 2017, 3:06 am

Following the no-show from AWL Rowing (who were due to choose the May challenge) the choice has been given to the next team in sequence. BW Rowing were due to choose for June. The message from Rosco is
BW Rowing wrote:May 2017 - The BW Rowing Sprint Monster
This challenge was chosen by BW Rowing

Row the following intervals:
30 Seconds on, 60 Seconds off, x 10 (10 intervals)
Submit total metres rowed, do not include any resting metres.
First interval from a standing start, others are standing or rolling starts.
There are no other restrictions.


So we have a set of sprinting reps for May.

The spoof Fish Game challenge on April Fool's Day has been removed from the CTC database (and doesn't count towards the few of us left with the unbroken record of rowing every CTC since 2005).
User avatar
Citroen
SpamTeam
 
Posts: 4747
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:28 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby rosco777 » April 30th, 2017, 4:15 am

Awesome! A Milestone for BW. Cheers! Let the fun begin. :)
rosco777
Paddler
 
Posts: 24
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 12:35 am

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby joe80 » May 1st, 2017, 1:01 pm

Sub7 had a very successful April winning the Challenge and launching 20 boats. Congratulations for also finishing at the head of this year's leaderboard. Fitness Matters and PaddyPower took the other podium positions.
Thanks to BW Rowing for stepping up at short notice to present their challenge a month early. Gee Club has the June CTC with DLC Gidea Park taking the nomination for July.

Image

Image

Regards,

Joe
joe80
500m Poster
 
Posts: 99
Joined: April 9th, 2006, 12:58 pm

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby joe80 » May 1st, 2017, 1:18 pm

I've crunched the numbers for the cumulative points and positions in the CTC since 2005. Always interesting to see new forces emerge, on occasion, fade rapidly, but often, establish themselves in the competition.

Image

Image

Regards,

Joe
joe80
500m Poster
 
Posts: 99
Joined: April 9th, 2006, 12:58 pm

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby joe80 » May 24th, 2017, 2:57 pm

Tommy Gee from the Gee Crew has set the June challenge for the CTC. It is one that has to be completed at fixed stroke rates.

500m @spm 22
rest 30s
1000m @spm 26
rest 30s
500m @spm 30

Standing start for the opening 500m, total time for the work intervals to be recorded. As the focus of the challenge is controlled stroke rate at maximum effort, the hope is that entries will follow the rates exactly. The monitor reading is decisive. Tommy has set a five second penalty for each stroke over or under the target rate. For example 500@24, 1000@27, 500@29 would incur 4 penalties, 20 seconds total.

Regards,

Joe
joe80
500m Poster
 
Posts: 99
Joined: April 9th, 2006, 12:58 pm

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby paul45 » May 24th, 2017, 7:01 pm

joe80 wrote:Tommy Gee from the Gee Crew has set the June challenge for the CTC. It is one that has to be completed at fixed stroke rates.

500m @spm 22
rest 30s
1000m @spm 26
rest 30s
500m @spm 30

Standing start for the opening 500m, total time for the work intervals to be recorded. As the focus of the challenge is controlled stroke rate at maximum effort, the hope is that entries will follow the rates exactly. The monitor reading is decisive. Tommy has set a five second penalty for each stroke over or under the target rate. For example 500@24, 1000@27, 500@29 would incur 4 penalties, 20 seconds total.

Regards,

Joe










Hi Joe, 30 sec rest, may the lord bless those who do it, a 500m r30 for desert after the 1k :lol: jesus that is going to hurt.
500m TT Target @ 1:29.9 ave

PB @ 500m @ 1:35.0 (2012)

1 min PB @ 1:32.5 324m (May 2017)
paul45
10k Poster
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: July 12th, 2016, 3:28 pm

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby rosco777 » May 24th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Your Ctc is your ctc.
But Please consider increasing to 3min rest for us normal folk.
rosco777
Paddler
 
Posts: 24
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 12:35 am

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby hjs » May 25th, 2017, 4:31 am

rosco777 wrote:Your Ctc is your ctc.
But Please consider increasing to 3min rest for us normal folk.


Why, its just a rate restricted 2k now, could have been on zero rest even. Its all about pacing.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing
User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
 
Posts: 6333
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby joe80 » May 25th, 2017, 5:29 am

hjs wrote:
rosco777 wrote:Your Ctc is your ctc.
But Please consider increasing to 3min rest for us normal folk.


Why, its just a rate restricted 2k now, could have been on zero rest even. Its all about pacing.


They did consider the zero rest option but decided against it because the point of change between the rates would be difficult to manage precisely.

Regards,

Joe
joe80
500m Poster
 
Posts: 99
Joined: April 9th, 2006, 12:58 pm

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby hjs » May 25th, 2017, 5:41 am

joe80 wrote:
hjs wrote:
rosco777 wrote:Your Ctc is your ctc.
But Please consider increasing to 3min rest for us normal folk.


Why, its just a rate restricted 2k now, could have been on zero rest even. Its all about pacing.


They did consider the zero rest option but decided against it because the point of change between the rates would be difficult to manage precisely.

Regards,

Joe


Maybe a pitty, intervals with zero rest would be the option. We would have seen some monster 2ks, now it not a real 2k. But its up to the team to decide.

Thx Joe
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing
User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
 
Posts: 6333
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby paul45 » May 25th, 2017, 5:50 am

Why not a straight 2k, im game :D 30 sec rest makes no sense.

Just a thought.
500m TT Target @ 1:29.9 ave

PB @ 500m @ 1:35.0 (2012)

1 min PB @ 1:32.5 324m (May 2017)
paul45
10k Poster
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: July 12th, 2016, 3:28 pm

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby jackarabit » May 25th, 2017, 1:06 pm

Figure out how to get enuf strokes over target rate to aporoach but not overtop a "true" 22.9, 26.9, and 30.9 average rate. You can do this by eyeball S.W.A.G. You can enlst an observor to make a few tickmarks on a piece of paper and advise enroute. This is transparently about finesse and control to exploit PM inaccuracy in the pursuit of lowest time and more interesting than 75% of the challenges involving rest strategies. No numerological theme, no lawyer language. Very refreshing imo.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_69_5'-7"_164lb
Image
Training Log
User avatar
jackarabit
Half Marathon Poster
 
Posts: 3457
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 9:51 am

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby hjs » May 25th, 2017, 3:24 pm

jackarabit wrote:Figure out how to get enuf strokes over target rate to aporoach but not overtop a "true" 22.9, 26.9, and 30.9 average rate. You can do this by eyeball S.W.A.G. You can enlst an observor to make a few tickmarks on a piece of paper and advise enroute. This is transparently about finesse and control to exploit PM inaccuracy in the pursuit of lowest time and more interesting than 75% of the challenges involving rest strategies. No numerological theme, no lawyer language. Very refreshing imo.


Biggest problem is underating I think, best is proberly to keep rate but for the last 10/15 seconds rate up 1 stroke.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing
User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
 
Posts: 6333
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby jackarabit » May 25th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Henry has a plan. Thanks Henry. :wink:
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_69_5'-7"_164lb
Image
Training Log
User avatar
jackarabit
Half Marathon Poster
 
Posts: 3457
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 9:51 am

Re: Cross Team Challenge - Discussion Thread

Postby kevinscott » May 31st, 2017, 2:18 pm

Guys,
About those who are scared with the Stroke rate : did you know that LiveRowing app displays the current interval average SPM on each stroke ? and you have als the stroke count displaying on the same screen...
That could help managing this June CTC.
The Cross Team Challenge workouts are each monthes offered in a featured workout specific channel, and there is a spm guide in beta test that helps you keeping the good rythm...
If you are an happy iOs device owner, give it a go !

About the next event : It's up to the team to make their choice, if you are not in that team, you just have to decide to row this or not... If you want to discuss an event, then launch a lot of boats :D
kevinscott
Paddler
 
Posts: 20
Joined: November 27th, 2013, 3:18 pm
Location: Tahiti

PreviousNext

Return to Competition

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest