BRIC 2016

From the CRASH-B's to an online challenge, discuss the competitive side of erging here.

Re: BRIC 2016

Postby Pie Man » December 9th, 2016, 5:38 am

Thanks for letting us know about the change in top Rohan, as the green top is what I would of been looking for initially.

Watching a few videos from last years event and it seems that some people take a whole heap of stuff in with them up to a largish kit bag, while others take very little or nothing, so what you are proposing shouldn't be a problem John. I'm going to borrow my sons PE drawstring bag just to put my towel, drink and phone in so I can lose it all at once rather than a bit at a time...

Seconded on the good luck Richard for retaining your title, I think one of the videos I watched had the finish of your race and you certainly seemed to have put a lot into it :)

Hopefully there are cox's, especially if mine can do a passable Dutch accent, as I could get him to shout 'PUSSY' if I slow down below target :) (well it made me laugh). Looking at last years videos there seems to be a few people walking around but certainly not one for each competitor.

I have been weighing myself each morning just to ensure I qualify, it seems that nerves are for great weight loss, this morning I was 70Kg, down a couple of Kg in a week, still eating well and drinking lots of water at least I won't have to worry about the weigh in and can just concentrate on being hydrated and fed.
Piers 50m 73Kg 175cm DF 116 (was 110 to 20/08/16) MHR 167
Pie Man
5k Poster

Postby Citroen » December 9th, 2016, 6:03 am

JohnAd wrote:Doug/Richard thanks a lot for the tips, I''m a bit intrigued by the whole cox thing, is that going on at the new venue? I don't think I've noticed anything like that in the videos from.last year, just a cameraman going round capturing the gurning.

How much stuff can you take into the race area, is phone, water bottle and a small towel OK?

They used to have one cox between two machines when I raced BIRC at the NIA in Birmingham.

You can't take a big rucksack, they can't stop you taking water. Phones and towels should be OK as they used to give a reasonable amount of space between you and your next door victims. In some of the races that space was needed for the cascading bodies falling off the ergos at the ends of their races. That's common with the 18 to 25 year olds who like to row on the very limit.
Citroen
SpamTeam

Postby hjs » December 9th, 2016, 6:08 am

Guys, good luck to you all. Have a plan, keep that plan. Enjoy and give it your best! It will hurt, but only shortly, afterwards you will fine.
And If you can, have a look at the topraces, always nice to watch does.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing
hjs
Marathon Poster

Postby le grand fromage » December 9th, 2016, 7:43 am

Cheers for the well wishes guys, always appreciated.

I don't think you have a cox now that British Rowing have taken over the event, basically you're on your own. However come finishing time, the crowd are normally all screaming for you anyway (well, it feels like they are :lol: )

Taking water bottles phones towels bits of paper etc is the norm. Kitbags should be left with your better halves or the bag drop, which worked very well last year when I used it. Like someone's mentioned I have a little shoe bag I keep stuff in.

I normally say goodbye to the missus before we go in to the velodrome. She goes upstairs to the spectator area and I go off to registration and do whatever I need to do, then drop my bag off at the bag drop before the warm/up race. I don't see the missus until it's all over.

Unfortunately the race I want to see is going on at the same time as mine Henry. The Men's Hwt 40-49s. Big G, Sam Blyth and Tony Larkman should be a cracker but at least the crowd will be cheering me on (see above :wink: :lol: )

My blog entry below, post BRIC15 if it's any use to anyone (slightly edited :wink: )

"In limbo land now following my ‘failure’ at BRIC with not sure what direction to take now. Is that it, destined never to even break my pb let alone a sniff at Andy Ripley’s BR? Or do I regroup and go again, not sure my hearts in for that at the moment.

I guess I should be happy completing a hat trick of British Championships, but it’s not what I went for. It would be really nice, just for once, to finish a 2k and think, ‘that was my best”, just for one time, never done that yet for any 2k, even my pb. What’s really galling is not even getting near to replicating last Sunday’s 1700m time trial, with either time or the pace control I had.

Back to the day, for the record. Reasonable night’s sleep, my pace plan engraved in my brain helped as I didn’t have too much to think about. Left home at 06:30 and parked up in Car Park C at Westfield about an hour and 15 minutes later. This year unlike last, made a note of where I’d parked the car so I could find it later. If I go back next time I’d try and park in Car Park A as it’s marginally closer to the Velodrome. Although I do know where the toilets are now in Car Park C, which proved a godsend later as there was a queue at the gents at the arena.

Walked to the arena and said my goodbyes to my wife and daughter and went off to registration. A lot smoother than last year, no queue they just asked for my pre printed race card and I got my wrist band and I was in. Went straight to the changing room and bumped into the queue for the gents. Said a silent prayer that I’d got that out of the way earlier. Changed and on my way to warm up, met Graham Benton and had a brief chat about nerves. On the way there I’d had a few butterflies that had come and gone but walking to the arena and though the changing rooms they had been building.

Only hiccup on the day came when I tried to get to a warm up machine 20’ before my allotted time at around 08:20. “Not aloud through until your allotted marshalling time (08:40)”, was the response for the marshall. Tried to explain that I had a 20’ warm up routine and with my race at 09:00 I needed to get warmed up sooner rather than later to allow a bit of time between warm up and race time. No good. Tried to reason that surely by getting race 1 people through and warmed up earlier and off the warm up machines, it would help those coming through after. No good. So I went off upstairs with the hump and bumped into Graham Benton again. The ‘old campaigner’ that he is, he promptly told me ............. :wink: :lol:

(edited out)

Now allowed down to the warm up area, I finished the second 10’ of my warm up there. 6’ before my race time. Found the race machine and set it up, no issues and finally found time to just sit. Realised the nerves had gone and I went through what I needed to do, again. ‘On ‘ROW’ hit it hard and just get to 400 at 1:33’. There seemed to be a wait but in reality I found it quite nice just sitting there knowing that every thing I wanted to do and have with me, was done. Although, I did get a bit wound up by the music playing. Not that it wasn’t any good, as it was the opening chords to ‘All along the watchtower’, it was that they had it in a loop and never got to the vocals.

Came under starters orders and on ‘ROW’ I hit it hard and was rewarded with a 1:38 first pull, which was pleasing. From then on I gave it 5/6 big one’s then settled at 1:31/32s until I saw the average down to 1:32.5, then eased to 1:33/34s and made my target of being at 400m on 1:33 av pace. Let the ‘pressure’ off and tried to settle into the pace plan of 1:36/37s which I did after a fashion but it was only this morning, on my cycle to work, that I decided that this hadn’t come easy. I think it was that I didn’t really ‘hit’ my stroke, any time during the race. No rhythm or fluidity, zip. A few 1:38s crept in during the run up to 1k but I managed to gather and keep them to a minimum. Went through halfway bang on where I needed to be at 1:35.2 but felt under pressure to maintain the pace, unlike last Sunday. Around 1200m gone and I was going over the edge, hit 1:38 on 4 consecutive strokes trying to get back to 1:36/37s and realized my legs were screaming at me and within a couple of stokes I knew that was it. Never actually HD’d but mentally I let it go when I managed to make out on the PM that I was 80+ metres ahead of the next guy and just decided to settle for the ‘win’. Comparatively paddled home, hitting 1:38/39 and 1:40s.

Finished a ‘winner’ but felt gutted I’d not threatened Andy’s BR and even more so not even threatened my pb.

Usual stuff after the race although a little surprised there was no one directing me as to what came next, so watched Graham Benton knock out a 5:55.x from down in the marshall’s area. Spoke to the Italian in my race as to the whereabouts of Michelle Marrullo and Sergio Biotti. He didn’t know anything about Sergio but it looks like Michelle has finished with erging and taken up cycling.

Medal presentations were better than last year, as they had us facing the spectators this year, then off up to the stand s to see my wife and daughter. Caught up with a few guys but missed Casey, who’d nipped off somewhere to get a bacon sandwich. Thought about staying around but my ‘supporter’s’ were starting to chafe at the bit and I realized I’d missed all the racing of those I was interested in watching. That’s the one thing about this year that I’d never noticed before. I’d been first off and wrapped up in my ‘bubble’ and when I’d come out of it, all the races I was interested in had already happened. Good orgainsation for the orgaisers but not from my perspective.

So what now? Dunno really, as when I started this blog, feel a bit in no man’s land and feeling a bit sorry for myself, probably because I can’t see a ‘goal’ at the moment. Only reason’s I can think for not performing were the short time between the warm up and race and a game of golf on Friday. Both of which may have been a factor but not major. Why I didn’t really hit any rhythm or fluidity, who know’s, maybe I did, maybe I’m just not good enough under pressure.

Spoke to Graham B again, whilst waiting around for our medals, about his drag factor, he’s off 130 so figure I’m going to drop mine to there as it was also something that Eddie Fletcher thought I should think about. Also going to train on ‘watt’s’ rather than pace/500m, as several people have mention that I should be. Have and easy week this week and see where the mood takes me."

Best of luck guy's n gals, enjoy the day
2k - "into that void of silence where we cry without sound"
le grand fromage
500m Poster

Postby G-dub » December 9th, 2016, 9:13 am

Good luck friends! Just reading this gives me a tingle. All smiles tomorrow!!
Glenn Walters: 5'-8" X 205 lbs. Bday 01/09/1962
G-dub
Half Marathon Poster

Postby Pie Man » December 9th, 2016, 11:02 am

Thanks Glenn and Henry.

Very interesting write up Richard, thanks for sharing nearly all of your experience :P. My wife and son declined my kind offer of getting them tickets...
Pie Man
5k Poster

Postby jackarabit » December 9th, 2016, 7:34 pm

Have a good nite's sleep and great races guys. Don't spit the dummy if something goes sideways. You're all winners!
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_70_5'-7"_164lb
Training Log
jackarabit
Half Marathon Poster

Postby Pie Man » December 10th, 2016, 8:14 am

Brief report on my day. Wow was I nervous... It all seemed to go in a blur, great to put some faces to names met up with John and Rohan before the warm ups. Weighed in at 71.6 Kg with full race kit on... Watched the first half of John's race but then had to go for or warm up. That was when it all became a bit too real... Warmed up then it was the race. Looking at my splits I was ok up to 1500m then the wheels fell off. Final 500 1:52.5... Finished 17th (thought I was 16th but I must of read the screen wrong in my end of race state) time 7:16.7 so better than my Wednesday test. I would of had to knock 7 seconds off that to go up one place so didn't lose out there but still... However first ever race and I finished, in an ok time for me. Will need to sort a few things out but it's all experience...
Cool down by walking around the top with Rohan tell we bumped into John then Pappy turned up with some great photos of our events.

A big thanks to everyone here for your support it has been a blast. Onwards and upwards. Walked back to my sister in laws for a cool down going to walk back to catch the elite rowers in a few mins.
Pie Man
5k Poster

Postby G-dub » December 10th, 2016, 8:43 am

Congratulations Piers! Sounds like a rich experience that was worth the effort. Do you recon the pre race nerves took their toll? I look forward to the reports from John and Rohan too - any hints?
G-dub
Half Marathon Poster

Postby JohnAd » December 10th, 2016, 9:26 am

Like Piers I was also a bundle of nerves, I woke up at 4am this morning partly through nerves but also because I had taken the stay hydrated thing a bit too seriously. Got my myself breakfasted nice and early and dosed up on beetroot juice for the full placebo effect and made way over the velodrome in good time. Only got slightly lost on the way by thinking I was going on autopilot to the aquatics center luckily there we enough poeple in rowing tracksuits wandering around that I got myself there in the end at around 8:15. Check in seemed to involve walking round the velodrome several times and once I'd queued for the toilets (regretting no heeding Richard very wise advice) and wandering round the velodrome one more for luck I made it up to the spectator area and quickly bumped into Piers and we stood nervously looking at the sea of empty ergs. My marshalling time was up first so I made way back into the labryinth and got to the marshalling area where I got my first look at my heat, it's rare that I feel small but there were a lot of big looking crossfit and rowers. That was about 5 minutes and then it was up onto the warm up area so grabbed as erg and did 10 mins of SS with a couple of power 10s then did a practice start then they called the warm up over and it was back underground in the tunnel again. That seemed to go on for a while and my heart was pounding and the demons were saying you've used up too much energy so tried to relax, deep breaths and we walked out, I initially sat down on the wrong erg which was not a great start but once I found the right one it was still set up from the last race so couldn't set the drag factor which was a bit annoying. Once the race software reset go it dialled into 125 and waited and tried to relax and before I knew it it was attention. My start seemed OK so I got the average pace to about 1:44 after a few strokes and then tried to get into my rhythm aiming for 1:46 r29, a lot of the pull were 1:45 r28 but it was feeling good so I did try and slow down a touch. My splits aren't up yet but I think I went through 1k with around 1:45.0 average and then 1:45.2 with 500m to go, the patch from 1200m out to 800m was tough but not the worst, having the names and the distances there on the bottom of the screen kept me focussed and once I'd got to 800m I started smiling. Once i got to 500m it was 200m hard bringing down the pace under 1:45 then at 300m I did 100m sprinting with virtually no legs and then 100m back to full strokes with my now slightly refreshed legs and then a 100m sprint to line. My time in the end was 6:55.4 so obviously am extremely happy with that. Once the race was over and people stared getting up I stood up and the guy next to me asked a question, I found that my brain had stopped working and I couldn't speak or think clearly, all very odd. Then we were marshalled off a different way and so another lap was required to get back up to the spectator area in time to watch the 40-49 A heat with Graham Benton and then catch Piers and Rohan do their thing. After they had finished we met up with them and Olivier and saw his close up photos, some of which I never want to see the light of day.

Thanks everyone for support, encouragement and advice. Got back home to find out there has been a burst water main outside my house and there is no water, not ideal as I took the organisers at their word and didn't rely on the changing rooms there.
JohnAd
2k Poster

Postby G-dub » December 10th, 2016, 9:36 am

Super stuff John! I would have expected nothing less and right on target. that must have been one heck of a sprint though if you were on 1:45 with 500 to go!? Very happy for you, sir!
G-dub
Half Marathon Poster

Postby Bloodbuzz Corio » December 10th, 2016, 10:06 am

Glenn - won't have to wait too long for mine either! 7:02.9, and I am very happy with that.

It was largely Olivier's excellent photos and trip report from last year that got me inspired to enter this year and he'll no doubt have much better photos than me. The venue was pretty impressive on the whole, though would be nicer to be a bit closer to the action as spectators:

I was way less nervous today than in Cardiff, was good to meet up with Piers before hand and have someone to chat to, but also found it much easier to eat some food this morning. Whilst the warm up did only start 20mins before the race (and lots of the people in our race stopped their warm-ups a bit early to watch the end of Graham Benton's 5:55.0), there were enough machines and the flow of people was fine - I was happy with how much I got in and felt good during it. Had to leave the warm up area too early to see the end of Richard's successful title defence, look forward to hearing how he felt about that and any thoughts on it he cares to share with us!

I was happy with my start - put in a just few more hard strokes today than I had in Cardiff (but still less than 10) to get the average under my initial target of 1:47, and then settled into a mix of 1:46s and 1:47s. First 1,000m was about right on target in terms of both time and pain, certainly didn't feel like I'd gone out too slow but did start to put in some 1:45s in the third 500 - as well as some serious questioning of why I was doing this! My time over the first 1,500m was 5:18.3 (so just 0.2 seconds slower than my 1,500m on Wednesday), and whilst at that point I was definitely determined to get the average under 1:46 there certainly wasn't much more to offer than that. I was aiming to start my real sprint at 200m to go because I know that's about all I've got in me, but did go slightly earlier and had to ease off for a few strokes before another final effort in the last 100m. Even those final bursts were only around 1:42s though - I think a good indication I hadn't left too much in the tank.

You can see Piers' and my splits here, but mine were:
  • 1:46.4
  • 1:46.4
  • 1:45.5
  • 1:44.6
So as noted at the start I am happy with that outcome. 7:02.9 is my second fastest 2k ever, closer to my PB than to my time in Cardiff, and I think a fair indication of my current fitness and ability and recent training, with a real effort invested today.

No options for a cool down erg, but the compulsory lap under the velodrome mentioned by John did help me recover a bit! Certainly felt better after today than I did after Cardiff (though that is all relative) legs pretty sore now but otherwise don't feel too bad.

Was great to meet Piers, John and Olivier - Gordon sorry to miss you if you were also there. Defo happy today is over, but am also pretty excited about the future - I was only 71.2kg in the weigh in I think (with stuff in my pockets) - so I do have 2 erging resolutions for 2017 - I'm going to make a lot more meters and also try to put on a few kgs of muscle to see if I can't do notably better next year!

I also note that John's splits are up now and his last 500m was 1:40.4 with a rating of 36! Great stuff John!
Rohan - 42y, 178cm, <75kg, Logbook

Bloodbuzz Corio
2k Poster

Postby G-dub » December 10th, 2016, 10:29 am

Very solid result Rohan! Given sickness and all that. Way to stud up and bring home a very respectful time (at least I hope it is!)
G-dub
Half Marathon Poster

Postby Pie Man » December 10th, 2016, 10:46 am

I don't think the nerves affected my time Glenn. As Rohan said of his time mine was a fair indication of my current fitness and is my second fastest 2k. I am now hanging about to pick up my one day old erg hopefully I can get it set at up and ready to roll for a nice recovery row tomorrow as i may not have enough time to get down the gym.
Pie Man
5k Poster

Postby G-dub » December 10th, 2016, 11:05 am

Good on ya, Piers. Way to hang in there and compete. Please don't think I was knocking your time, good man! Was mostly curious about the wheels coming off at 500.
G-dub
Half Marathon Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Competition