8K race Starnberg Germany

From the CRASH-B's to an online challenge, discuss the competitive side of erging here.

8K race Starnberg Germany

Postby H2O » March 4th, 2017, 7:45 pm

Yesterday evening while surfing on the net I found the concept2.de erg race schedule.
Sure enough an 8K race in Starnberg near Munich was scheduled for the next day.
I always wanted to take part in that race but never got around to doing it so I decided on a whim
to call if I can still get a spot.
Incredibly the organizers were so nice to let me in (several calls had to be made).

The traffic from Frankfurt to Munich was even worse than expected. As I was hitting jam after jam on
one interstate completely uncertain wether I would make the race on time (although 2 hours delay
planned for) I heard the disaster news from the other interstate I could have taken:
ladder fallen off truck, cattle migrated on road, several broken down cars blocking road,
dead animals on road (the cattle now deceased?), road construction blocking 2 of 3 lanes, 2 hours delay on this spot, ...

Then the good fortune struck: an accident close behind me closed off the road removing 95%
of competing cars and I had clear sailing ahead. I got to the race with 2 hours to spare and immediately
was in for surprise after surprise:

As soon as I walked into the building I was struck by the fact that a good 75% of men seemingly my age were taller
than me (I am 6-4). I was the only one with superfluous body fat. I looked into the competition hall,
everyone was stroking very slowly (at most 23spm, many 21 spm, I do a lot of 21 spm myself and know the rhythm
very well). It looked like a rate capped session.

I entered the warm up area. There were lots of ergs and cycles. The age group 40-49 was warming up.
Shockingly half the rowers had absolutely
perfect technique (like the C2 model), the other half was still much better than mine.
I can judge this since I watch instructional videos regularly.
Only one guy was unusual in that he leaned back much and pulled all the way to the chin.
This same guy though was insanely powerful (I later found out his name: sam blythe,
you can find him on the net).

Softened up by hours of repetitive music during the drive and lack of sleep I was now a mental vegetable.
I tried to find a race rhythm. Nothing worked: first 1:50@25spm (dead in 12 minutes), then 1:53@21spm
(dead in 15 minutes). I still had one hour left and wandered into the competition room: the 40-49 were at work,
5 minutes in. The leader was splitting 1:39. I rubbed my eyes, who was that? It was none other than sam blythe.
I was sure he was going to blow up soon, so stayed to watch. At 12 minutes in 1:40 was first seen.
Worst of all he seemd to be pulling no more than 23spm.

I stumbled back into the warm up room to look for the race rhythm. Now the stroke power was gone:
27spm needed to get to 1:52. I was bewildered and made the decision to row on drag 97 since I did not
trust my stroke power at all.

The momemt was at hand, I climbed on the competition erg with intention to adjust the drag.
No doing, the monitor was locked. I had to play it by feel and set in on 3.
Off. I pulled off very cautiously. This showed up as 1:57, then 1:55, then 1:54.
This was no good. I straigthened myself out taking it to 1:52.

The monitor had two parts the upper one showing my splits. I did not even look to see what the lower
part showed and was annoyed that it was there at all. The split came down to 1:53 and stabilized.
This was exactly as planned with the idea being that this would not cause any strain at 10 minutes
and if it still did not cause any at 15 minutes an attempt at 8K would be made.

The idea of the 8K was ditched at 10 minutes. At 15 minutes I was splitting 1:53.5 working hard.
Now I had no plans at all, 8K was out nothing else was in. I decided merely to make no fool of myself with 1:54 and 1:55
showing up ever more often. At 12 minutes left I decided to look at the lower part of the minitor.
There it said that one competitor was 61m ahead, another 37m behind and in the middle was the likeness of
a boat which seemd to be me.

I erroneously believed that the monitor was showing the race leaders, thus myself in second place.
"Third place" was closing in on me but I simply did not care, in my vegetable state this was merely an interesting
bit of information. "Third place" was now 31m behind, now 28m. I fully expected him to pass me, but did not care wether
I would be "2nd" or "3rd". At 7:30 left I decided to do at least a little bit to show some minimal oarsmanship.
The distance went back up to 30m. At 5 minutes left a little more, at 2:30 left I was back at 1:52 most of the time.
I held off the attack now believing to have taken second. Final split: 1:53.8

All in all in my ragged condition more was not to be expected. Later I found out that I was in fact third.
The monitor does not show the race leaders it shows the guy in front of and behind you which is obviously more
relevant information.

Heavyweight men, 55-59: 1. place 7995, second 7975 (about), third 7908 (myself).

There were some very good perfomances:

LWT men 60-64: first place 8077, all top 3 above 8000m (I think all three Italians).
HWT men 60-64:
first place about 1:47.5 split with 21spm (!) and absolutely perfect technique.
second place: about 1:50 split, also very good technique, similar low rating.
How do they do it?
Next year I will be 60 but only in July, meaning I get to row in the 55-59 category once more.
It' easier than the 60-64!

Sam Blythe: I don't know the exact result, but close to 9000m.

The event is very well organized. If ou are anywhere in the area consider dong it.
Bavaria is also a very nice state of Germany.
H2O
1k Poster

Re: 8K race Starnberg Germany

Postby Cyclist2 » March 5th, 2017, 1:28 am

Nice race and report! It looks like it was a 30 minute race. Some impressive splits.

It's funny how many times the hardest part of race day is getting there and back home! Glad you weren't part of the pileup - at autobahn speeds they could be horrendous, I would guess.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.
Cyclist2
2k Poster

Postby hjs » March 5th, 2017, 4:57 am

Nice report. And yes rowers are tall, I seldom at races see someone not taller than me, 186.
Blythe btw is not tall, very big for his weight though.

Why people use those low ratings is beyond me. Thats never optimal
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing
hjs
Marathon Poster

Postby GJS » March 5th, 2017, 5:02 am

Great report.
Good effort, too.
Gary
41, 5'11'', 210lbs
GJS
2k Poster

Postby bisqeet » March 5th, 2017, 5:43 am

Glad you enjoyed it.
I was rowing in Sam's race, just a mere 12 places behind him.

Had the same traffic problems. An hour drive turned into 3. One of our a young kayaker (never been on an erg before wanted to give it a go) he missed his race, but got Slot with the 50-55 (he was 25).
Which was good.

Bad news was I had 15 mins to my race, so not a great deal of prep time.

The air was very bad. Maybe it was just me getting over a bit of illness and my throat is generally sore from hashimoto, but I couldn't keep my target pace 1:48

I found the very fast under low spm. Normally I would do a R24/25 1:50, but although I choose low df (110) on screen, but 6 on the dial for a new machine is unusual, I was going way to fast
Sub 1:45 on R24, so I dropped it to r22. First 10 mins I could feel my mouth drying out, I had to fight the urge to stop and drink water.
The next 10 was hell, 1:48 dropped to 1:52, I was foaming like a racehorse.
Last I swear my mouth was as dry as the Gobi , and my tongue like ghandis fillip.
I was seriously just hoping for the timer to dub out. Targets 8300 were well gone, I was going to be lucky not to hd..
Finished well under targets: 7999 #13
I fell off the machine, my mouth was so dry I couldn't drink, lime wile e coyote being tricked into eating a spoon of cinnamon.
My points:
Bad prep my side, a Cox with a squirting waterborne would have done wonders.
Although I planned to be there two hours before my race it didn't happen
Showers are not on site, need to take a 5 minute walk.

From my side a few stats:
I will add the Garmin link later

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1602666578

Average spam 23
Average hr 163 (92% hr max- yes, average for the whole 30 minutes)
Max: 170
7999m
#13 40-49

Still enjoyed it fittingly
Dean
2017 Season: 196cm / 94kg : M48
Training Log - ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ -Blog
~seven days without rowing makes one weak~
bisqeet
10k Poster

Postby GJS » March 5th, 2017, 5:53 am

bisqeet wrote:I fell off the machine, my mouth was so dry I couldn't drink, lime wile e coyote being tricked into eating a spoon of cinnamon.

:lol:

Great stuff, Dean.
Gary
41, 5'11'', 210lbs
GJS
2k Poster

Postby bisqeet » March 5th, 2017, 8:15 am

paul45 wrote:No coffee and the brain was trying to put Sam's near 9k in to 8k :lol: :wink: yep 30'

Well done to all who took part.

1:47 for r21 is some power and fitness, i wonder what he could do free rate, mind boggles.

Some very fit atheletes on this forum that's for sure, thinking they could even be faster (free rate) is scary.

it was a decent race - although its the end of the season, its more like the beginning for me. first outdoor race is usually End March/April - so its a nice start.

I think all the races were a bit under par.
Sam didn't quite manage the 9k (8887m - his SB 9117m), but he was still 300m in front of the next person. Not sure if he found the conditions as hard, or if he was just taking it easy :)

I actually though Sam was in the wrong age group (40-49, I thought he was 39, but maybe he is now in the roaring 40's ..), would have been nice to see him with Tobias Stöhr (winner of the 30-39 - 8636m)

Overall winner was Oliver Zeidler (1996 19-29Y) from Donau-Ruder-Club Ingolstadt with 9096m
Dean
2017 Season: 196cm / 94kg : M48
Training Log - ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ -Blog
~seven days without rowing makes one weak~
bisqeet
10k Poster

Postby formerotwrower » March 6th, 2017, 2:07 pm

Hi,
i would like to introduce myself in this forum. I have been in Starnberg too, in the race 60-64 Lightweight.
There was only one Italian, the winner Emanuele Romoli, who is well known in Starnberg for strong competitions and house records.
I finished second with 8034 m. My third an last competition this year, before going back on my bicycle.
As you see in my name, i was a real rower when i was 11-19 years old. Best success was 3.place on junior world rowing championships in a coxless four.
I erg during winter on bad weather days, that feels for me much better than a stationary bike, like many cyclists do.
Next year again Starnberg, very perhaps Boston and i will try to achieve a sub 7 min on 2k.
Please forgive my school english and good luck and success in our sport.
Best regards
formerotwrower
Paddler

Postby formerotwrower » March 6th, 2017, 2:25 pm

oh.. forgot something. Please look in the results for the hwt men 70-75 years.
This man, 8100m (!) was my teammate in the eight 1976 and later my coach. He was german champion in the singleskulls 1976.
Now again he is coach in our club and can show the young rowers what's possible with continuous and smart training.
formerotwrower
Paddler

Postby H2O » March 7th, 2017, 5:51 pm

formerotwrower wrote:Hi,
I finished second with 8034 m.

formerotwrower wrote:Please look in the results for the hwt men 70-75 years.
This man, 8100m (!) was my teammate in the eight 1976 and later my coach.

These are excellent results. We will have to up our game, but it will be hard competing against
former world class rowers.
H2O
1k Poster

Return to Competition