BRIC for 2017

From the CRASH-B's to an online challenge, discuss the competitive side of erging here.

BRIC for 2017

Postby Brian Lancaster » June 2nd, 2017, 4:49 am

Why is there so little apparent interest in BRIC these days? I remember when I first competed back in 2002, in Birmingham. It was a tremendous event with top flight entrants from all over the world. Pinsent v Cracknell on the front row, similarly the Evers Swindell sisters in the women's open. (These were in later years.) It rivalled or equalled the Crash B's.The forum was full of interesting posts. It seems to get hardly a mention now. I am not even sure if it is taking place this year.

I presume that the European champs have been a major factor in its decline but those are so variable that, for me, they are not in the same league. In the last Europeans, if you were much over 70 there was no real point in entering because of age cut-offs giving you no chance. I pass 80 this November and am keen to 'get in there' once again as 'one of the babies' in my age band, when the chances of winning are maximised.

As yet I have seen no mention of the BRIC for this year. Is it going to take place? If so can someone give me the date and a link to the details.
B.L.
Brian Lancaster
Paddler
 
Posts: 17
Joined: March 31st, 2009, 7:34 pm
Location: Worthing West Sussex UK

Re: BRIC for 2017

Postby hjs » June 2nd, 2017, 10:44 am

This is the vs forum, can,t compare it with the old, killed off, uk one.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing
User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
 
Posts: 6754
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands

Re: BRIC for 2017

Postby Rod » June 2nd, 2017, 3:21 pm

Brian Lancaster wrote:As yet I have seen no mention of the BRIC for this year. Is it going to take place? If so can someone give me the date and a link to the details.


Nothing on the British Rowing website yet but I'm expecting it to be in December again at the same venue, Lee Valley Velodrome in the Olympic Park.
60 year old Lightweight male. Based in Sussex, just south of London, England. Best 2k recently.. 6:59.2 on 15th February 2017
Rod
2k Poster
 
Posts: 400
Joined: December 21st, 2016, 9:55 am

Re: BRIC for 2017

Postby Two Pudding Kid » June 2nd, 2017, 7:27 pm

I think there are less people competing in general for both BRIC and all the 2ks in UK and the Euros. Standards tend to rise - I have been serious about erging for 16 years and in that time I expect the 50+ ladies times over 2k have improved by at least 15 secs at the top. I reckon that there are a multitude of factors why less people race, but in the case of BRIC the cost of entry and a probable overnight in London at Xmas prices is likely to be two of them. I havent been to BRIC since the first one in Feb 2015 - December is a very busy month for me in other ways.

PS If there is an increase in attendees it could be in the longer distance races where there are less people overall but a year on year improved number of entrants.
Two Pudding Kid
1k Poster
 
Posts: 105
Joined: October 10th, 2008, 8:15 am
Location: Birmingham, UK

Re: BRIC for 2017

Postby nick rockliff » June 3rd, 2017, 7:50 am

Two Pudding Kid wrote:I think there are less people competing in general for both BRIC and all the 2ks in UK and the Euros. Standards tend to rise - I have been serious about erging for 16 years and in that time I expect the 50+ ladies times over 2k have improved by at least 15 secs at the top. I reckon that there are a multitude of factors why less people race, but in the case of BRIC the cost of entry and a probable overnight in London at Xmas prices is likely to be two of them. I havent been to BRIC since the first one in Feb 2015 - December is a very busy month for me in other ways.

PS If there is an increase in attendees it could be in the longer distance races where there are less people overall but a year on year improved number of entrants.


I think the whole indoor rowing scene has changed since I started back in 2002. Used to be much more a social following at peoples houses etc. Used to be races every month and sometimes twice a month. Seemed to change when the Concept 2 Grand Prix series stopped after the 2004/05 event. The demise of the UK forum hasn't helped either. Don't know what type of following they have on Facebook, it's not something I ever got involved in. Not a fan of data harvesting.
Age 60 - 6' 4" - 108kg
All time PBs - 2k 6:16.4 - 5k 16:37.5 - 10k 34:35.5 - 30min 8727 - 60min 17059 - HM 74:25.9 - FM 2:43:48.8
50-59 PBs - 2k 6.24.3 - 5k 16.55.4 - 6k 20.34.2 - 10k 35.19.0 - 30min 8633 - 60min 16685 - HM 76.48.7
60-69 PBs - TBC
nick rockliff
2k Poster
 
Posts: 309
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:54 pm
Location: UK

Re: BRIC for 2017

Postby Rod » June 3rd, 2017, 11:46 am

nick rockliff wrote: Don't know what type of following they have on Facebook, it's not something I ever got involved in. Not a fan of data harvesting.


It's huge Nick, far bigger than it ever was on the old UK forum. The community has grown a lot, more teams, more competitors, much more ''chat and banter'' so very social.
60 year old Lightweight male. Based in Sussex, just south of London, England. Best 2k recently.. 6:59.2 on 15th February 2017
Rod
2k Poster
 
Posts: 400
Joined: December 21st, 2016, 9:55 am

Re: BRIC for 2017

Postby hjs » June 3rd, 2017, 11:56 am

Rod wrote:
nick rockliff wrote: Don't know what type of following they have on Facebook, it's not something I ever got involved in. Not a fan of data harvesting.


It's huge Nick, far bigger than it ever was on the old UK forum. The community has grown a lot, more teams, more competitors, much more ''chat and banter'' so very social.


Races are also not smaller, maybe Birc, but amsterdam, paris, essen, big as ever.

Things should be mixed up a bit, more team event, sprintstuff, maybe even 100 meters to get strongman involved.

Forums like this are a dying kind, social media has taken over everything.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing
User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
 
Posts: 6754
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands

Re: BRIC for 2017

Postby rowingdan9 » June 15th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Brian Lancaster wrote:
As yet I have seen no mention of the BRIC for this year. Is it going to take place? If so can someone give me the date and a link to the details.


9th December 2017 - Lea Valley VeloPark;

https://www.britishrowing.org/events/events-calendar/british-rowing-indoor-championships/
rowingdan9
Paddler
 
Posts: 5
Joined: February 25th, 2011, 1:55 pm

Re: BRIC for 2017

Postby Two Pudding Kid » June 17th, 2017, 6:09 pm

I am hoping that X-training stays on its promised date of 2 Dec and therefore be free for this.
Two Pudding Kid
1k Poster
 
Posts: 105
Joined: October 10th, 2008, 8:15 am
Location: Birmingham, UK

Re: BRIC for 2017

Postby Brian Lancaster » June 21st, 2017, 3:48 am

Many thanks for the link above.

My birthday is November 7th when I reach 80. So I was anxious that this year's event would not before then as I would be forced into the 75-79 category. It isn't often that one can look forward to these 'coffin nail' birthdays but in this case.....

It will be nice to compete once more in this championship although I can appreciate how London prices and the nearness to Christmas much dilute its appeal for many. I originate from Birmingham so when the event used to be held there, I had free accommodation with relatives. Fortunately, my daughter now lives in London so the same applies plus London is much closer to me than Birmingham.

All I have to do now is lose at least half a stone, get a temporary gym membership and become much more resistant to that voice in my head insisting that it would be such a good idea to stop in the middle of workouts. This weather is not a big help either.
B.L.
Brian Lancaster
Paddler
 
Posts: 17
Joined: March 31st, 2009, 7:34 pm
Location: Worthing West Sussex UK

Bradley Wiggins plans to compete at BRIC

Postby ccooper » July 1st, 2017, 12:47 am

--
Chris Cooper M65-69 Hwt 2km world record 6:39.5 in 2017
ccooper
Paddler
 
Posts: 28
Joined: August 6th, 2010, 2:55 pm

Re: BRIC for 2017

Postby edinborogh » July 1st, 2017, 7:39 am

Competition by nature cant have as a fuel ONLY the numbers from last year and the numbers expected this year. its in our human nature to have bad blood, virtual animosities, expectations for our favorite to win and joy for our hated ones to lose.
that creates tension, buzz and interest.
there for, i call the professor back!... :)
edinborogh
1k Poster
 
Posts: 181
Joined: February 20th, 2017, 11:19 am


Return to Competition

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron