Competition vs. Rankings

From the CRASH-B's to an online challenge, discuss the competitive side of erging here.

Re: Competition vs. Rankings

Postby KennyH » October 23rd, 2017, 12:50 pm

Carl Watts wrote:Don't get me wrong I love the Concept 2 rower, but there is no way I would get on a plane to attend an indoor rowing competition and this is in part because it can now be all done online with RowPro without leaving home.

I have to admit I’m lucky being in NYC, since both Boston and DC are very accessible to me. I get what you mean, though, 'cause I’m not the least bit interested in flying to, say, the west coast for a 7-minute race.

I just looked up RowPro. I don’t think my club utilizes this, but I’ll ask. What do you like about it? Do race organizers conduct “live” competitions on RowPro, or is it simply a place to record competing times? Thanks.

EDIT: Correction - I read about it some more and realized it's not part of the rower, but a separate app. I'll investigate further. Thanks.
Last edited by KennyH on October 23rd, 2017, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KennyH
Paddler

Re: Competition vs. Rankings

Postby KennyH » October 23rd, 2017, 12:55 pm

NavigationHazard wrote:The poster example is the 2000 Crash-B championships in Boston, where the US Men's squad showed up in full. They had heats and a final in those days. A rather astonishing 39 different rowers (if I've counted correctly) went sub-6 minutes, with the great Rob Waddell winning the final in 5:40.2 after a 5:52.8 to warm up in the heats. There were 20 sub-7:00 scores from the women the same morning.

!!! That must've been exciting!

NavigationHazard wrote:I would add that with Cross-Fit participation growing worldwide by leaps and bounds, it's logical to think that the overall number of people attending competitions is likely to grow considerably in coming years.

Cool. The more, the merrier. Quick joke:

An atheist, a vegan, and a CrossFitter walk into a bar. I only know because they told everyone within two minutes. :D

Thanks!
KennyH
Paddler

Previous

Return to Competition