Sprint races 2018

From the CRASH-B's to an online challenge, discuss the competitive side of erging here.

Sprint races 2018

Postby Steve Bainbridge » January 20th, 2018, 5:47 am

Hi
Does anyone know if there are any scheduled sprint races in 2018
Europe please
Don't want to go transatlantic for a couple of minutes :D
Thanks
Steve
Ex rugby player trying to be the best I can be
6 feet 6 inches and 17 st

2000k 6.24 50 age group
100m 14.4 60 age group World Recoord
1 min 374 m 60 age group Worl Record
500 m 1.23.2. 60 age group World Record
Steve Bainbridge
Paddler
 
Posts: 4
Joined: January 20th, 2018, 3:29 am
Location: Durham,UK

Re: Sprint races 2018

Postby NavigationHazard » January 20th, 2018, 8:34 am

There's a 1k competition in Tallinn, Estonia next weekend: http://www.soudespinning.ee/en/
62 MH 6' 6"
User avatar
NavigationHazard
10k Poster
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 1:11 pm
Location: Wroclaw, Poland

Re: Sprint races 2018

Postby Steve Bainbridge » January 20th, 2018, 6:57 pm

NavigationHazard wrote:There's a 1k competition in Tallinn, Estonia next weekend: http://www.soudespinning.ee/en/

Thanks Jon
Hope your well
It's 500m too long and 2 months too early
Looking for something to train towards
Cheers
Steve
Ex rugby player trying to be the best I can be
6 feet 6 inches and 17 st

2000k 6.24 50 age group
100m 14.4 60 age group World Recoord
1 min 374 m 60 age group Worl Record
500 m 1.23.2. 60 age group World Record
Steve Bainbridge
Paddler
 
Posts: 4
Joined: January 20th, 2018, 3:29 am
Location: Durham,UK

Re: Sprint races 2018

Postby bisqeet » January 21st, 2018, 4:03 am

hmm... only 500m?

not sure about that - more likely to find a crossfit competition that will better suit you.
you will find that most rowing events start the sprints at 2k for adults.
Dean
2017 Season: 196cm / 92kg : M49
Training Log - ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ -Blog
~seven days without rowing makes one weak~
User avatar
bisqeet
10k Poster
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: July 20th, 2015, 3:17 am
Location: Bavaria, Germany

Re: Sprint races 2018

Postby hjs » January 21st, 2018, 4:53 am

bisqeet wrote:hmm... only 500m?

not sure about that - more likely to find a crossfit competition that will better suit you.
you will find that most rowing events start the sprints at 2k for adults.


Calling 6 min event is pretty stupid though :oops:

Apart side events I have not seen 500 races lately. This should be build up from scratch.
My gym had a dec month 500 challenge. Best was a 1.17.x rate 32 result.

Crossfit is longer events and never short standalone sprints.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing
User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
 
Posts: 7345
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands

Re: Sprint races 2018

Postby bisqeet » January 21st, 2018, 9:29 am

hjs wrote:
bisqeet wrote:hmm... only 500m?

not sure about that - more likely to find a crossfit competition that will better suit you.
you will find that most rowing events start the sprints at 2k for adults.


Calling 6 min event is pretty stupid though :oops:

Apart side events I have not seen 500 races lately. This should be build up from scratch.
My gym had a dec month 500 challenge. Best was a 1.17.x rate 32 result.

Crossfit is longer events and never short standalone sprints.


he he ...
you know what i'm like regarding sprints..
anything under 5k is not worth getting changed for :)

still there was no insult intended to OP. I reread and thought maybe the adult might have been intepretated wrongly.
Merely that shorter distances are often used for younger participants.

Indoor rowing is used as a winter training method for OTW rowers. As such the competitions run by rowing clubs tend to be more aerobic in content to mirror OTW competitions (heads usually being 5k, sprints 2k, longer races being the norm)

We do have one 500m sprint, but its highschool. long way to go from Uk for a 500m. Its in Leipzig, nice city.

We do have some standalone 500m events, not really what I would call competitions though - more of a weekly challenge.

CTC should be more to your liking perhaps ?

this is the calendar from british indoor rowing:

Wingman:(3Mins / 10 mins)
https://www.facebook.com/events/343169532815755/

https://www.rowthetyne.com/faq/
row the time (118km) as a team

http://www.edenproject.com/visit/whats- ... mpionships
1km or 2k
4k team event
Last edited by bisqeet on January 21st, 2018, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
2017 Season: 196cm / 92kg : M49
Training Log - ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ -Blog
~seven days without rowing makes one weak~
User avatar
bisqeet
10k Poster
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: July 20th, 2015, 3:17 am
Location: Bavaria, Germany

Re: Sprint races 2018

Postby hjs » January 21st, 2018, 9:38 am

bisqeet wrote:
hjs wrote:
bisqeet wrote:hmm... only 500m?

not sure about that - more likely to find a crossfit competition that will better suit you.
you will find that most rowing events start the sprints at 2k for adults.


Calling 6 min event is pretty stupid though :oops:

Apart side events I have not seen 500 races lately. This should be build up from scratch.
My gym had a dec month 500 challenge. Best was a 1.17.x rate 32 result.

Crossfit is longer events and never short standalone sprints.


he he ...
you know what i'm like regarding sprints..
anything under 5k is not worth getting changed for :)


Can,t resist :-)

For your paces you never have to change hahaha, have you ever seen a drop of sweat :-)
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing
User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
 
Posts: 7345
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands

Re: Sprint races 2018

Postby bisqeet » January 21st, 2018, 9:49 am

hjs wrote:
Can,t resist :-)

For your paces you never have to change hahaha, have you ever seen a drop of sweat :-)


pfff.. i was actually thinking of doing some sprints this year - the big 50 :)

I guess though thats my approach - and my perception of what is "fitness"
Being able to hammer out a whopper of a 500m sprint - or casually being able to do respectable 500m x 100 in one session :)
- I just see more benefit being aerobically fit for my everyday life, that the previous. - horses for courses.
Dean
2017 Season: 196cm / 92kg : M49
Training Log - ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ -Blog
~seven days without rowing makes one weak~
User avatar
bisqeet
10k Poster
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: July 20th, 2015, 3:17 am
Location: Bavaria, Germany

Re: Sprint races 2018

Postby hjs » January 21st, 2018, 10:02 am

bisqeet wrote:
hjs wrote:
Can,t resist :-)

For your paces you never have to change hahaha, have you ever seen a drop of sweat :-)


pfff.. i was actually thinking of doing some sprints this year - the big 50 :)

I guess though thats my approach - and my perception of what is "fitness"
Being able to hammer out a whopper of a 500m sprint - or casually being able to do respectable 500m x 100 in one session :)
- I just see more benefit being aerobically fit for my everyday life, that the previous. - horses for courses.


Having both would be best. For daily life rowing is to probably to one sided anyway.

Think we are born with a mindset, its not something to choose.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing
User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
 
Posts: 7345
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands

Re: Sprint races 2018

Postby JMac » January 21st, 2018, 3:19 pm

Is someone here questioning the fitness methods of an ex-international sporstman and multiple world record holder? :lol: :lol: :lol:
34 | 6'6" | 122kg/270lbs


Image
JMac
500m Poster
 
Posts: 83
Joined: June 7th, 2017, 3:33 am

Re: Sprint races 2018

Postby bisqeet » January 22nd, 2018, 4:51 am

JMac wrote:Is someone here questioning the fitness methods of an ex-international sporstman and multiple world record holder? :lol: :lol: :lol:

was the question serious? - (unsure of the positioning of the laughing smilies)

If so, it wasn't mine (or henri's) intention. If you could point out where you think this was the case, I will correct it.
there was no such questioning intended.
my posts merely reflect my own opinion regarding fitness or methods for achieving that.
Dean
2017 Season: 196cm / 92kg : M49
Training Log - ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ -Blog
~seven days without rowing makes one weak~
User avatar
bisqeet
10k Poster
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: July 20th, 2015, 3:17 am
Location: Bavaria, Germany

Re: Sprint races 2018

Postby cannondalerugby5 » February 13th, 2018, 5:04 am

Thanks for the support JMac
Love your sprint times ,very impressive :D
I dont believe anyone was being critical of my race distance selection.
At the moment i dont have the mental strength to train or compete at 2 k distance
The WIRC was harder than an international rugby match!
I cannot ever imagine looking forward to a 2k
So I take the easy option and look at the short distances, its an age thing.
However as an observation it may be that the short distances are more competitive than the 2 k
I can imagine that in every cross fit,weights gym etc lots of people will have a go at the sprint ,its only 500m!
Dont think many will complete the 2 k in one piece.
Therefore more sprint times get posted.
60 Age Group PBs - 100 14 . 4 WR,1 min 374 m WR, 500 1.23.2 WR
50 Age Group PBs 2000m 6.24
cannondalerugby5
1k Poster
 
Posts: 101
Joined: January 18th, 2007, 4:11 am
Location: Durham - England

Re: Sprint races 2018

Postby jamesg » February 13th, 2018, 5:48 am

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rowing/43031180
https://www.britishrowing.org/2018/02/b ... 8-sprints/

Something like this might catch on in the US too. Large people who can row well at rate 40+ would be very useful.
77y, 188cm, 85kg, MHR 160. Last 2k (May 1018) 8.37@23
jamesg
10k Poster
 
Posts: 2058
Joined: March 18th, 2006, 3:44 am
Location: Trentino Italy


Return to Competition

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests