Rowing to Regain Myself

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.

Re: Rowing to Regain Myself

Postby livingkennedy » January 11th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Update - I weighed in yesterday at 258, down about 9 lbs in the first 3 weeks of the plan (1 week of following the Mediterranean diet + 16/8 intermittent fasting). My row times are improving more rapidly than I had hoped, and frankly I'm just feeling good. More energy, getting great sleep, feeling very motivated. Surprisingly the intermittent fasting is no challenge at all, I'll wake up hungry but within a few hours I'm feeling normal - in some cases better than after having breakfast.

Process process process!

Let me know if you want any advice on training for FM or above. I made enough mistakes to probably help you out. Oct/Nov is a good target to aim for and you might surprise yourself and get their earlier.

I'll take any tips I can get!
Brandon
30 yo male / 6' 265 lb / 183 cm 120 kg
https://log.concept2.com/profile/1171015
livingkennedy
Paddler

Re: Rowing to Regain Myself

Postby Dangerscouse » January 11th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Great news Brandon. Half the battle for a FM is confidence and it sounds like you're full of it.

I found after about 30-35km it gets notably harder when doing a FM. You need to keep your carbs topped up from an early stage as there's no quick solution if you bonk. I tried to drink, one handed, every 20 mins and you can stop for a quick stretch energy gel if you want to.

Experiment with energy gels, some will give you stomach ache. Tailwind is expensive but really good. I also found High 5 gels to be good and they are very reasonably priced in the UK. Diluted OJ, 50/50 with water and a pinch of salt and sugar is a great sports drink along with water. On the Gatorade website there's a sweat calculator to help figure out how much you should be drinking. It's also important to check if you're a salty sweater; I am and it's easy to tell by tasting your sweat. If it tastes quite salty make sure you put more salt in the drink or have an electrolyte drink too. I also had jelly beans and salted nuts to have as a very quick snack when I stopped for a quick stretch.

A cut up yoga mat in a pillow case is a great solution for making the seat more comfortable. I found it worked best to not use it for the first 1-1.5 hours as it provides more relief later on.

Build up the distance slowly, possibly 1-2km a week and tailor the pace accordingly. Enjoy the good days and feed your confidence as often as possible. Mentally envisage you completing the distance as much as possible and stay positive and optimistic, it's a very powerful part of the training. I dislocated a finger and chipped a bone at the end of August, three days later i completed a 30km row. Without positivity and optimism it would have totally derailed me as amazingly there wasn't much pain but it didn't look great.

Seriously the thought of an FM is worse than the reality. It's far from easy but it's achievable with effort and dedication.
44 Years Old; 6' 4"; 92kg; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:45; 5k= 17:46; 10k= 36:21 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

Instagram: stuwenman
Dangerscouse
2k Poster

Previous

Return to Weight Loss & Weight Control