Will you assess me?

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.

Will you assess me?

Postby Rower740 » November 4th, 2015, 2:36 pm

Age-23
Height-6'1
Weight-243

Hey everyone, I've been rowing for one week now. I just started logging my records in a journal, thus I want to share with you my level of fitness and any advice you might have.

I always row 30 minutes.

Yesterday, I rowed 6428m in 30 minutes. My t/500m was 2:20.9.
Today, I rowed 6571m in 30 minutes and I did my 500m in 2:17.1.

Is 30 minutes a day (coupled with watching my calories, enough to lose weight)?
I'm working on slowing my pace down. Yesterday I was rowing at 32, and today I got it down to about 28.

I look forward to hearing from you guys and gals!

Rower740
Rower740
Paddler

Re: Will you assess me?

Postby Bob S. » November 4th, 2015, 3:48 pm

First a minor terminology quibble - the term pace is used for what you expressed as t/500m. I assume that the 28 and 32 are strokes per minute and that is commonly referred to as rate, short for stroke rate.

A daily routine of 30 minutes at that work level sounds pretty good if you can continue to lower both pace and rate, but the same old/same old might get boring after a while. There are a number of programs around that mix things up a bit and make it more interesting. At your age and size, you can probably get to the point where you can routinely get a pace of under 2:10 rowed at a rate of 20spm.

As far as the weight loss is concerned, the key feature is keeping the Calories under control and sticking to a healthy diet, especially avoiding the short chain carbohydrates. Rowing on an indoor machine is an excellent, more or less full body exercise, and is particularly good for cardiovascular training. It is one of the best in terms of weight loss, but definitely secondary in importance to proper dietary habits. Also, be very patient about it. It takes a long time to put on a lot of excess weight and it will take a long time to get rid of it.
Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Postby Rower740 » November 4th, 2015, 6:02 pm

Bob, I very much appreciate your reply. I trying to understand what all the things on the little screen mean ;). To me, its not even slightly boring. It's almost like I sit down, start rowing, and then I'm done. What are these programs you speak of?
Rower740
Rower740
Paddler

Postby Bob S. » November 4th, 2015, 6:17 pm

This is probably this most appropriate one.

http://indoorsportservices.co.uk/weightloss/interactive
Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Postby Rower740 » November 4th, 2015, 8:51 pm

So I generated sessions, what would a 2x14 mean? I understand at and such
Rower740
Paddler

Postby Bob S. » November 4th, 2015, 11:24 pm

Rower740 wrote:So I generated sessions, what would a 2x14 mean? I understand at and such

Is there an apostrophe after the 14? I.e. 2x14'? That would be two 14 minute rows with a short break in between. That brings up the question of how long the break should be and whether it is active (continuing to row at a very light paddle) or passive (just sitting there relaxed) or something in between. One common convention is to wait until your heart beat has dropped down to around double your resting heart rate. Not more than 4-5 minutes, in any case. I am not keen on completely passive rest periods. It is a good idea to keep some movement going even if it is just sliding up and down the rail without pulling the handle.
Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Postby Bob S. » November 4th, 2015, 11:28 pm

I just checked out a sample program on that site and I see that the the rest time is mentioned there, along with the double the resting heart rate as a measure of recovery.
Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Postby bisqeet » November 5th, 2015, 3:13 am

Most tall guys try and use the leg/arm lengths to their advantage. Long powerful stroke, longer rest. Endurance rows are usually done at a lower rate.
Try watching a few of the online vids for pointers.
Try doing your current pace at a 22_24 stroke rate for an idea where you should be heading.
Dean
2017 Season: 196cm / 94kg : M48
Training Log - ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ -Blog
~seven days without rowing makes one weak~
bisqeet
10k Poster

Postby Rower740 » November 5th, 2015, 10:57 am

I'll trying keeping within the ~22 range.i appreciate all of your advice. Great members
Rower740
Paddler

Return to Weight Loss & Weight Control