Incorrect form - Need advise please!

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.

Incorrect form - Need advise please!

Postby Hatrick40 » January 29th, 2016, 12:47 pm

I'm fat. 5'9", 245lbs.

When I'm in the catch, my belly and my knees want to occupy the same space. This leads me to making one of a few choices:

1- Keep knees in front of me but vastly shorten my stroke (by about 6 inches).
2- Let knees "butterfly" - they go outside my arms and get out of the way of my belly
3- Lean back to give more room for both to co-exist (still a little shorter stroke and after about 15 minutes my back hurts a bit)

Eventually the problem will sort itself out as my gut disappears but until then I want to make sure that I'm not setting myself up for an injury or cheating myself of the best workout I can get.
Are there any suggestions for which approach I should prefer (or another option entirely)?

It was reading the FAQ and going through the beginners material that made me realize that this was a problem with my form but I was not able to find anything that specifically addressed what a big ol' fatty should do.
Hatrick40
Paddler

Re: Incorrect form - Need advise please!

Postby sekitori » January 29th, 2016, 5:50 pm

Hatrick40 wrote:I'm fat. 5'9", 245lbs.

When I'm in the catch, my belly and my knees want to occupy the same space. This leads me to making one of a few choices:

1- Keep knees in front of me but vastly shorten my stroke (by about 6 inches).
2- Let knees "butterfly" - they go outside my arms and get out of the way of my belly
3- Lean back to give more room for both to co-exist (still a little shorter stroke and after about 15 minutes my back hurts a bit)

Eventually the problem will sort itself out as my gut disappears but until then I want to make sure that I'm not setting myself up for an injury or cheating myself of the best workout I can get.
Are there any suggestions for which approach I should prefer (or another option entirely)?

It was reading the FAQ and going through the beginners material that made me realize that this was a problem with my form but I was not able to find anything that specifically addressed what a big ol' fatty should do.

Since no one using this forum can give you advice without actually seeing you row, this is not the place to ask for help. Instead, find a gym or club where C2 machines are used and where instructors who are expert in rowing technique are available. Have the instructor check out your form and make suggestions. That by far is your most sensible choice.

Contact C2 and find out if they know where such instruction may be available in your area. If they have that information, I'm sure they will be glad to share it with you. If they don't have advice concerning specific instructors, gyms, etc., they still should be able to give you some pretty good ideas to help you look for the guidance you need.

If you don't receive proper instruction, this problem may not sort itself out on its own when your gut starts to disappear. You may end up carrying less weight and still have lousy form. :(
sekitori
1k Poster

Re: Incorrect form - Need advise please!

Postby jamesg » January 30th, 2016, 4:01 am

Set your feet low and row as well as you can with a straight back and as much swing forward as possible before lifting the knees, but don't let your knees go outside your armpits. Then at the catch, you can shove fast with the legs, so even if the stroke is a bit shorter the stroke work stays high. This is what gets us fit.

In any case, row long at low drag and rating, it's time aboard with good strokes that counts.
77y, 188cm, 85kg, MHR 170. 3km/h in water, 10km/h on. Last 2k (1-16) 8.10@26
jamesg
10k Poster

Return to Weight Loss & Weight Control