Another one on the weight loss train (or boat?)

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.

Re: Another one on the weight loss train (or boat?)

Postby Little John » March 13th, 2012, 10:39 am

I found a conversion on here somewhere that converts readout calories to calories for your actual weight, does anyone know where that link is? I know it's for reference, but I'm going to start using Lose-It on my iPhone to track daily calories, and I'd like to get it as realistic as possible.

Thanks -LJ
Little John
500m Poster

Postby Little John » March 13th, 2012, 10:43 am

Found it:

http://www.concept2.com/us/interactive/ ... alorie.asp

Carry on :mrgreen:

Note to self: weight in formula is in lbs.
Little John
500m Poster

Postby Little John » March 19th, 2012, 8:03 am

-3 lbs since 3/12
Little John
500m Poster

Postby kayakr » March 19th, 2012, 7:40 pm

You might want to try eating like this for 2 weeks because you'll likely drop a lot of weight without being hungry, meager portioned or counting anything. When in doubt stuff yourself with veggies. Best of luck.
http://www.drmcdougall.com/free_1.html Or watch "forks over knives" for an alternate view.
kayakr
1k Poster

Postby Little John » March 20th, 2012, 8:00 am

Thanks Kayakr, I like using LoseIt, it's a good way to keep myself honest, and it becomes second nature within a couple weeks to know what I ate and how much more I can eat.

I did prove my earlier theory about getting up at 4:30 to row: it sucks. I have something going on tonight that won't let me row, so I could either switch my rest day from yesterday or get up early this morning. I chose the latter. Luckily I had a good episode of Law & Order on the DVR! He was found guilty.
Little John
500m Poster

Postby Little John » March 23rd, 2012, 6:50 am

Question: I see a lot of folks saying to row the same time each day. Is that to ensure you maintain a good habit, or is there a physical goodness to it? I ask because I'm probably going to do my Saturday rows in the AM, as well as the occasional schedule conflict that makes me readjust my time.
Little John
500m Poster

Postby jvincent » March 23rd, 2012, 8:42 am

For me, it's about habit. Once it becomes part of your regular routine it's harder to skip it.
jvincent
1k Poster

Postby bepah » March 23rd, 2012, 2:03 pm

Little John wrote:Question: I see a lot of folks saying to row the same time each day. Is that to ensure you maintain a good habit, or is there a physical goodness to it? I ask because I'm probably going to do my Saturday rows in the AM, as well as the occasional schedule conflict that makes me readjust my time.

As you get more and more into the 'habit' of rowing, you will find that the good feeling that you have at the end of the rowing session will be something to look forward to. In this way, your attitude will have made an important change; instead of finding ways to avoid or delay your exercise, you will start looking for the opportunity to complete it. At that point, you will have made an important adjustment toward self improvement.

Log your rows every day and once a month, check your progress. Make notes about each row, how it felt, any problems you may have had, etc. This will provide a feedback loop that will be meaningful especially if you feel that you have plateaued in your training. Times that seem easy now will show to have been difficult or unachievable a week or a month ago.

Once you reach this level, you will not have problems finding the times to row, but you will be taking the time to row. This is a big difference.
bepah
500m Poster

Postby Little John » March 27th, 2012, 8:31 am

Another 3# down. Not bad considering how my weekend went.
Little John
500m Poster

Postby Little John » March 27th, 2012, 12:16 pm

bepah wrote:Once you reach this level, you will not have problems finding the times to row, but you will be taking the time to row. This is a big difference.

I definitely find myself "missing it" on days when I can't start when I want to. Just ordered a C2 seat pad for those longer rows - hoping it works!
Little John
500m Poster

Postby Little John » March 28th, 2012, 8:01 am

This could come in helpful from time-to-time:

Little John
500m Poster

Postby bepah » March 28th, 2012, 10:25 am

John,

Since your focus seems to be on sweets, I would suggest that you wean off the Cadburys and maybe use a small piece of dark chocolate with a high level of cacao and less sugar.

I have been reading that small amounts of dark chocolate tend to have high anti-oxidants and also demonstrate some benefits to the heart (although it is a mystery to me).

The WSJ reported a couple of days ago that people who eat small amounts of this type of chocolate tend to be thinner than those who do not....again, I don't get it but the news is the news.

In total, the sugar is what I think you should try to avoid, but it is certainly your choice.

Good luck in your quest!
bepah
500m Poster

Postby Little John » March 29th, 2012, 8:41 am

Thanks Bepah, I actually haven't had a Cadbury in several years, I just found the comic to be funny.

And whether it's sweet or savory, my issue's always been quantity, I have a lousy shut-off switch in my brain. In addition to rowing 5 times a week, I've been pretty religious about tracking my intake (and output) with LoseIt on my iPhone, with good success. It even breaks down my daily and daily average intake of carbs/fats/proteins, as well as sodium, sugars, etc.

I've been slowly phasing out the evening ice cream and replacing it with something a little more healthy (banana & choc milk, or banana & sug-free choc pudding, for example), but overall, I have been losing weight, and I can see it on the scale and in the way my clothes fit. I have a long way to go, but I'm not quitting - I'm even mentally planning what I can do when I'm not near the rower (i.e. vacation, weekend getaways, or business travel).
Little John
500m Poster

Postby bepah » March 29th, 2012, 10:07 am

Little John wrote:Thanks Bepah, I actually haven't had a Cadbury in several years, I just found the comic to be funny.

And whether it's sweet or savory, my issue's always been quantity, I have a lousy shut-off switch in my brain. In addition to rowing 5 times a week, I've been pretty religious about tracking my intake (and output) with LoseIt on my iPhone, with good success. It even breaks down my daily and daily average intake of carbs/fats/proteins, as well as sodium, sugars, etc.

I've been slowly phasing out the evening ice cream and replacing it with something a little more healthy (banana & choc milk, or banana & sug-free choc pudding, for example), but overall, I have been losing weight, and I can see it on the scale and in the way my clothes fit. I have a long way to go, but I'm not quitting - I'm even mentally planning what I can do when I'm not near the rower (i.e. vacation, weekend getaways, or business travel).

That is good news! Keep it up! I wish the best.
bepah
500m Poster

Postby Little John » April 16th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Just checking in, I'm still rowing regularly, I've been losing ~3 lbs/week with the rowing and monitoring my food intake. I'm pretty good during the week - lots of fruit/veggies, lean proteins, etc. I have "planned failures" foodwise, typically on the weekend, and usually it's after a day of yardwork, as well as the rowing. Yesterday I finished cutting and stacking a tree that we had taken down from the Halloween snowstorm (if you're from CT or MA, you know the one...).

After 6 weeks at UT2, I started UT1 yesterday and was surprised to see that I need to really pull the thing hard to get into the heartrate range it recommends. It looks like I begin the quest for bigger shoulders now!

Going to Puerto Rico next week for business, I'm hoping the hotel has a rowing machine. If not, I'll try to get on something for a half-hour or so, just to keep the blood pumping while I'm gone. Also hoping the catered lunches will have some decent options. We will see, I guess.
Little John
500m Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Weight Loss & Weight Control