Obese Man Rowing Tokyrow

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.

Obese Man Rowing Tokyrow

Postby ObeseManRowing » August 1st, 2017, 8:29 am

One 59 year-old, high-risk class III (morbidly) obese, man with a bad back and a dodgy knee.

Three years.

1096 days

9.6 million+ metres (that’s 9,614,721)! That's just over 5974 miles for those still in imperial mindset.

Average of 8773 metres per day – EVERY DAY!*

One rowing machine.

One Journey – from Woolton Hill in Hampshire, UK to the Olympic Stadium, Tokyo, Japan.

That’s Obese Man Rowing’s TOKYROW 2020

You can read more about my challenge here; http://obesemanrowing.org.uk/blog

I realise that many people on here are already doing "mega-distances" but for me this is a huge challenge. Any support/advice etc would be gratefully received.
ObeseManRowing
Paddler

Re: Obese Man Rowing Tokyrow

Postby Citroen » August 1st, 2017, 11:50 am

Citroen
SpamTeam

Postby edinborogh » August 1st, 2017, 12:04 pm

ObeseManRowing wrote:One 59 year-old, high-risk class III (morbidly) obese, man with a bad back and a dodgy knee.

Three years.

1096 days

9.6 million+ metres (that’s 9,614,721)! That's just over 5974 miles for those still in imperial mindset.

Average of 8773 metres per day – EVERY DAY!*

One rowing machine.

One Journey – from Woolton Hill in Hampshire, UK to the Olympic Stadium, Tokyo, Japan.

That’s Obese Man Rowing’s TOKYROW 2020

You can read more about my challenge here; http://obesemanrowing.org.uk/blog

I realise that many people on here are already doing "mega-distances" but for me this is a huge challenge. Any support/advice etc would be gratefully received.

Hello Peter, Awesome Challenge!
please private message me if you want. i think i have something to keep you motivated as you go along. its something i have been working on for sometime specifically for people like me who meed the motivation to row long distances.
edinborogh
1k Poster

Postby ObeseManRowing » August 1st, 2017, 12:09 pm

Citroen wrote:http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/news/10019843.Round_the_world_rower_Dave_Holby_claims_his_place_in_the_record_books/

Thanks - not trying to break any records - just a fat bloke on an erg...
ObeseManRowing
Paddler

Postby edinborogh » August 1st, 2017, 9:29 pm

i am trying to send you a message but its stuck on the outbox..
could you pm me your email address please?
edinborogh
1k Poster

Postby Citroen » August 2nd, 2017, 4:25 am

edinborogh wrote:i am trying to send you a message but its stuck on the outbox..

That's normal until the receipient opens it.
Citroen
SpamTeam

Postby sekitori » August 5th, 2017, 10:01 pm

I have a suggestion. Instead of covering 8,773 meters every day, increase it to 10,235 meters six days a week. You'll still cover the same distance overall. That's about a 16% daily increase but the extra effort involved should be more than offset by a day of greatly needed rest.
sekitori
1k Poster

Postby IMHester » August 22nd, 2017, 11:41 am

Peter:

Great goal to have and best wishes! I'll look forward to seeing your progress as I'm a very large guy too!
-Chris Hester
45 / 6'1" / 285 lbs
IMHester
500m Poster

Postby ObeseManRowing » August 29th, 2017, 7:46 am

sekitori wrote:I have a suggestion. Instead of covering 8,773 meters every day, increase it to 10,235 meters six days a week. You'll still cover the same distance overall. That's about a 16% daily increase but the extra effort involved should be more than offset by a day of greatly needed rest.

Thanks - Not planning to do 8773 EVERY DAY - that's just the average REQUIRED EVERY day.

I am having to build up from a low-fitness base so am only doing around 6500 at the moment anyway I AM taking a rest day once a week (and more if I need it) Plan is also to get up to a marathon at some stage and I have a 22 mile row planned for August 7th next year to coincide with the commemoration of the first woman to swim the English Channel. Other similar type events are planned/in my head. Thanks for the good advice though - it helps knowing that I am (sometimes at least) thinking the right way as more experienced people! :D
ObeseManRowing
Paddler

Postby GFE » September 18th, 2017, 12:50 am

sekitori wrote:I have a suggestion. Instead of covering 8,773 meters every day, increase it to 10,235 meters six days a week. You'll still cover the same distance overall. That's about a 16% daily increase but the extra effort involved should be more than offset by a day of greatly needed rest.

Has to be the best idea on here!
GFE
Paddler

Return to Weight Loss & Weight Control