PM2 monitor fault

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
bettz
Paddler
Posts: 16
Joined: August 7th, 2018, 5:44 am

PM2 monitor fault

Post by bettz » August 7th, 2018, 5:59 am

Hi Hoping somebody can help.

Just recently given a concept rower model C from a friend with 1 fault the PM2 monitor isn't displaying the numbers correctly at the bottom.It just seems to be the 1 digit that doesn't display properly its more annoying than anything.


Image

User avatar
Citroen
SpamTeam
Posts: 5303
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:28 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK

Re: PM2 monitor fault

Post by Citroen » August 7th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Sell it on eBay, buy a new PM5. You won't look back.

bettz
Paddler
Posts: 16
Joined: August 7th, 2018, 5:44 am

Re: PM2 monitor fault

Post by bettz » August 7th, 2018, 1:12 pm

The thing is i've only just got the rower as a way to get fit i don't really want to drop £130+ on a PM5 if i don't enjoy it

User avatar
Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2820
Joined: January 8th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: NEW ZEALAND

Re: PM2 monitor fault

Post by Carl Watts » August 7th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Open the battery cover and look inside.

Are the battery terminals rusty ? any sign of white or green corrosion ?

Its either had a battery leak which has taken out a copper track on the board or the elastomer strip joining the glass LCD display needs a clean.

Usually its corrosion on the board somewhere that is the fault.

Doesn't look like yours has had much use, all the text on the buttons is perfect. People usually store the rower with the batteries still in the monitor and they go flat then leak acid.
Carl Watts.
Age:51 Weight: 98kg Height:183cm
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

bettz
Paddler
Posts: 16
Joined: August 7th, 2018, 5:44 am

Re: PM2 monitor fault

Post by bettz » August 7th, 2018, 4:34 pm

Thanks I'll check tomorrow when I'm back from work and update

User avatar
Citroen
SpamTeam
Posts: 5303
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:28 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK

Re: PM2 monitor fault

Post by Citroen » August 8th, 2018, 1:57 am

bettz wrote:
August 7th, 2018, 1:12 pm
The thing is i've only just got the rower as a way to get fit i don't really want to drop £130+ on a PM5 if i don't enjoy it
You'll add £130 to the eBay resale price of a rower with a working PM5. It's worth nothing with a borken monitor.

bettz
Paddler
Posts: 16
Joined: August 7th, 2018, 5:44 am

Re: PM2 monitor fault

Post by bettz » August 8th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Well i've had a look inside the PM2 and the terminals were a little corroded

Image

Image

Image

So i started to give them a wipe with white vinegar using a cotton bud when this happened :oops:

Image

I'll have ago at soldering it,can you buy replacement battery contacts to solder?

I've also managed to pick a PM3 Monitor for £60

Think these might fit

http://uk.farnell.com/keystone/109-2/sp ... dp/6979191

Managed to solder it back on but the digit is still not showing properly

User avatar
Citroen
SpamTeam
Posts: 5303
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:28 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK

Re: PM2 monitor fault

Post by Citroen » August 9th, 2018, 3:34 am

Time to toss that PM2 in the recyling. The £60 PM3 is an order of magnitude better (until the supercap in it expires).

User avatar
johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 3270
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 1:13 pm
Location: California Central Coast
Contact:

Re: PM2 monitor fault

Post by johnlvs2run » August 9th, 2018, 1:47 pm

The pm2 was the best monitor made by C2 for repetition training, the only one where the clock starts when you do.
All the others have a mind of their own, where you either have to start ahead or else get docked on the time.

I'm interested if you manage to get it working again.
72, 5'8", 155lbs ~ Skierg Lightweights
Attention Concept2 --> please add a lightweight division for the Skierg.

bettz
Paddler
Posts: 16
Joined: August 7th, 2018, 5:44 am

Re: PM2 monitor fault

Post by bettz » August 9th, 2018, 2:23 pm

johnlvs2run wrote:
August 9th, 2018, 1:47 pm
The pm2 was the best monitor made by C2 for repetition training, the only one where the clock starts when you do.
All the others have a mind of their own, where you either have to start ahead or else get docked on the time.

I'm interested if you manage to get it working again.
The PM2 works fine just can't seem to get the digit to display properly all the rest are fine and it works fine.The only solution is spending £20 on a new lce and replace the old one but it's not worth it now I've a PM3 on the way

I had to solder the battery connection back on so that's a weak point.

I'll let you know when the PM3 arrives and I can test that

User avatar
c2jonw
5k Poster
Posts: 538
Joined: April 3rd, 2006, 1:08 pm

Re: PM2 monitor fault

Post by c2jonw » August 9th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Did you pull the LCD off the board and clean both sides of the zebra strips, the board and the lcd contact areas? C2JonW
67 year old living in Waterbury Center, Vermont, USA
Concept2 employee since 1980! and what a long, strange trip it's been......and retiring from C2 in October 2018!

bettz
Paddler
Posts: 16
Joined: August 7th, 2018, 5:44 am

Re: PM2 monitor fault

Post by bettz » August 9th, 2018, 3:29 pm

c2jonw wrote:
August 9th, 2018, 3:25 pm
Did you pull the LCD off the board and clean both sides of the zebra strips, the board and the lcd contact areas? C2JonW
No can you pull the LCD off? I just cleaned up the plastic buttons and the battery contacts

User avatar
Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2820
Joined: January 8th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: NEW ZEALAND

Re: PM2 monitor fault

Post by Carl Watts » August 10th, 2018, 5:13 am

You carefully break the elastomer strip contact between the board and the strip by running the likes of a plastic knife along it pushing it sideways a bit at a time.

The problem is more likely the tracks running under the batteries. One track has corroded through or else the via (the copper plating that connects the track from one side of the board to the other) has gone open circuit.

You need to be careful with it or you could go backwards and even more digits may stop working.

Thanks for the link to the battery contact, did the pitch of the pins fit directly into the board ? I searched years ago but could not find a match from Keystone.

I believe Keystone made the Concept 2 terminal but it was a CUSTOM MADE part so not available. Always found it strange that they did not add it to their product line.
Carl Watts.
Age:51 Weight: 98kg Height:183cm
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

bettz
Paddler
Posts: 16
Joined: August 7th, 2018, 5:44 am

Re: PM2 monitor fault

Post by bettz » August 10th, 2018, 6:13 am

Carl Watts wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 5:13 am
You carefully break the elastomer strip contact between the board and the strip by running the likes of a plastic knife along it pushing it sideways a bit at a time.

The problem is more likely the tracks running under the batteries. One track has corroded through or else the via (the copper plating that connects the track from one side of the board to the other) has gone open circuit.

You need to be careful with it or you could go backwards and even more digits may stop working.

Thanks for the link to the battery contact, did the pitch of the pins fit directly into the board ? I searched years ago but could not find a match from Keystone.

I believe Keystone made the Concept 2 terminal but it was a CUSTOM MADE part so not available. Always found it strange that they did not add it to their product line.
I've not ordered any of the contacts yet i'm trying to find a UK supplier there all US and charge £12 postage

Managed to find a list of UK Suppliers

User avatar
Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2820
Joined: January 8th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: NEW ZEALAND

Re: PM2 monitor fault

Post by Carl Watts » August 10th, 2018, 4:34 pm

Don't think they fit if you check all the dimensions.

I clean up the custom made Concept 2 PM2 battery contacts and get them re-plated with Nickel in a batch of 100 at a time.
Carl Watts.
Age:51 Weight: 98kg Height:183cm
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Post Reply