PM3 -> Ergdata -> Logbook = No graphs?

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
Allan Olesen
1k Poster

PM3 -> Ergdata -> Logbook = No graphs?

Post by Allan Olesen » October 9th, 2018, 6:27 pm

With PM5, iPhone and Ergdata connected via Bluetooth, I get continuous data in my C2 online logbook.

With PM3, Android phone and Ergdata connected via USB, I only get split data in my C2 online logbook.

Is this how it is supposed to work? Or is there something I have forgot to configure?

Allan Olesen
1k Poster

Re: PM3 -> Ergdata -> Logbook = No graphs? SOLVED - sort of

Post by Allan Olesen » October 11th, 2018, 2:47 am

Hm. I wonder if I am the only one interested in getting data per stroke from a PM3 to the C2 online logbook.

Anyway, there may be other people out there having similar problems, so here is what finally worked for me:
An Android phone which supports USB OTG*.
A USB OTG cable + a normal USB printer cable**.
The Boatcoach app for Android***, set up to synchronize with the C2 online logbook.

This works. If I do a Just Row (or whatever it is called on an English PM3), I have to stop the workout on the Menu button before it will register in the local logbook in Boatcoach. A workout with a time or distance goal will register automatically. After that, I have to go into a menu in the local logbook in Boatcoach and select C2 logbook sync. Then the row will appear in the C2 online logbook, with curves and everything.

*: Not all Android phones support USB OTG (which means that the phone can act as a USB host, so you for example can use a normal USB mouse with the phone, if you have a specail USB OTG cable). And even if they do, I have experienced with one phone that it wouldn't communicate with the PM3, even though it could communicate with a mouse. So this is a bit of hit and miss. I found a cheap, old HTC One X, which I had read somewhere else would work, and it did.

**: C2 also makes a dedicated cable which can go directly from the phone to the PM3. But the cables I used can be bought everywhere.

***: Boatcoach is free, has the same basic functionality as Ergdata, and reminds a lot of Ergdata (I think it is the same developer, and perhaps Ergdata is a scaled down version of Boatcoach?), and on top of that you can pay for additional functionality.

My next problem is that the logs seem to have a timezone problem, so when they are imported into Garmin Connect, they have the wrong time. I have experienced this before with other logs from C2, so I don't think it is a Boatcoach problem. Time for a new thread...