Correct USB cable?

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
bestusugan@wemel.top
Paddler

Correct USB cable?

Post by bestusugan@wemel.top » November 13th, 2018, 9:06 pm

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NH13DV ... _lig_dp_it

Would that be a suitable cable?

Cannot order from Concept 2 because their online shops only deliver to the US, UK can Canada.

Allan Olesen
2k Poster

Re: Correct USB cable?

Post by Allan Olesen » November 14th, 2018, 3:36 am

Best USB cable for...?

Are you trying to connect to a PC or a phone? In the latter case, which phone?

Anyway, you may want to consider a cable where the plug at the C2 end is 90° angled so the cable points backward from the PM instead of downward. If you do that, be careful to pick a cable where the 90° actually point in the correct direction - there are 4 options, and sellers stink at describing this adequately.

bestusugan@wemel.top
Paddler

Post by bestusugan@wemel.top » November 14th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Thanks 😁

Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » November 14th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Any decent quality USB cable will do, however the Concept 2 version has a plastic protrusion so you can only plug it in one way.

If you try and force a standard cable in the wrong way you will push the USB socket off the board if your using a PM3 or PM4.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Allan Olesen
2k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » November 15th, 2018, 3:42 am

bestusugan@wemel.top wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 3:33 pm
Thanks 😁
Errh, your question haven't been answered yet, because you have not yet given the information I asked for.

To clarify:
You need 5 different cables (or one cable and four different adaptors) for connection, depending on whether you want to connect to a PC, an Android phone with micro-USB, an Android phone with USB-C, an iPhone with the old iPhone plug or an iPhone with Lightning plug.

bestusugan@wemel.top
Paddler

Post by bestusugan@wemel.top » November 15th, 2018, 12:01 pm

I contacted Concept 2 and they said the above cable from Amazon UK will work fine.

It is still irritating that it is not a standard USB cable. Everybody has those.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » November 15th, 2018, 1:31 pm

November 15th, 2018, 12:01 pm
It is still irritating that it is not a standard USB cable. Everybody has those.
What are you on about?

It is a standard USB-A to USB-B printer cable, that we've been using for years (since the advent of USB connected printers).

estragon
Paddler

Post by estragon » December 13th, 2018, 3:46 pm

When I got my C2, I was unable to connect a cable from PM5 to PC, despite having an impressive collection of said printer cables. One of the pins seemed a bit skewed, which may well have been the problem. No amount of cajoling would straighten it again. Anyway, I talked to my local C2 dealer and they happily swapped my monitor for a new one, and it worked fine first time I tried.

I have to say I'm very impressed with C2 service, not only based on my experiences but from what I read here. I delayed asking them for help as I assumed they'd claim I'd damaged the PM5 myself, and would have to pay for a new one. But no, they swapped it without a moment's hesitation. It confirms the old adage about the value of good customer service. I've since bought the Ski Erg and sometime in the future will probably add the C2 bike -- largely because I like and trust the company.

bob01
2k Poster

Post by bob01 » December 14th, 2018, 10:16 am

Printer to to???
I got one from eBay for about 1.30£... For both my Samsung 8 and then 9

Leomarweb
Paddler

Post by Leomarweb » January 15th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Allan Olesen wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 3:42 am
November 14th, 2018, 3:33 pm
Thanks 😁
Errh, your question haven't been answered yet, because you have not yet given the information I asked for.

To clarify:
You need 5 different cables (or one cable and four different adaptors) for connection, depending on whether you want to connect to a PC, an Android phone with micro-USB, an Android phone with USB-C, an iPhone with the old iPhone plug or an iPhone with Lightning plug.
Do you know if ERGData will read via a cable if it is plugged into ones phone, Android specifically? I am looking to use this software but I am hearing about connectivity issue with BlueTooth.
M / 5'11 / 195 lbs. / 39 years old

Allan Olesen
2k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » January 15th, 2019, 6:06 pm

That is how I use it.

You need either a special cable from C2, which is made for connecting an Android phone (with micro USB) directly to the PM.

...or you need a standard USB-OTG cable for your phone, and then you can connect a standard printer cable to this cable.

I use the latter solution.

You will in both cases need an Android phone which supports USB-OTG. Not all do.

Leomarweb
Paddler

Post by Leomarweb » January 16th, 2019, 10:05 am

Allan Olesen wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 6:06 pm
That is how I use it.

You need either a special cable from C2, which is made for connecting an Android phone (with micro USB) directly to the PM.

...or you need a standard USB-OTG cable for your phone, and then you can connect a standard printer cable to this cable.

I use the latter solution.

You will in both cases need an Android phone which supports USB-OTG. Not all do.
Thanks! It looks like I should be good to go then.
M / 5'11 / 195 lbs. / 39 years old

hobbit
2k Poster

Post by hobbit » January 28th, 2019, 5:28 am

My iPhone 5 has lost the plot when talking Bluetooth with the PM5's at the gym - it never finds them. So I've decided to buy a cable. Over to Concept2's dealer in France. Aaand ... the cable is 50€ :shock: . They have got to be kidding. So, back here to find out what I need and can buy cheaply on Amazon.

I find it pretty confusing. Seems like the plug on the PM5 end is like that for a USB printer - squareish and apprently called "USB B male". So I searched for iPhone to printer cable and came up with this one for £3:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharplace-Adap ... ter-White/

Just to be different, they call the iPhone end an "OTG" plug. Aaaand, that's not what you want :lol: . The OTG standard (whatever that is) is not compatible with iPhones, apparently.

Trying again: the best option, IMHO, is just to buy a converter plug for one or two €/£/$. It will be a "USB Type A Female to USB Type B Male Adapter". Note that there are three other possible combinations of A/B + male/female and none of them will work. This converter then goes into the normal USB end of the iPhone's charging cable. Will be back to tell you if it works.
M 64 163cm/5' 4" 56kg/124lb
2k 8:16 -- 5k 21:03 -- 30' 7038m -- 10k 43:19 -- 60' 13475m -- HM 1:34:04

Allan Olesen
2k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » January 28th, 2019, 12:43 pm

hobbit wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 5:28 am
I find it pretty confusing. Seems like the plug on the PM5 end is like that for a USB printer - squareish and apprently called "USB B male". So I searched for iPhone to printer cable and came up with this one for £3:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharplace-Adap ... ter-White/

Just to be different, they call the iPhone end an "OTG" plug. Aaaand, that's not what you want :lol: . The OTG standard (whatever that is) is not compatible with iPhones, apparently.
Actually, I think that cable may be exactly what you want. It is correct that OTG doesn't work for iPhone - but it is also obvious that this cable is not really an OTG cable, since it has a Lightning plug which is only for iPhone and iPad. So it is probably something which behaves adequately OTG alike, so the seller calls it OTG. But whether it also works with the PM5, nobody knows.

The other male to female adapters, which you mentioned, probably will not work for you. At least on Android, those adapters don't have the wiring to make a USB client work as an USB host, which is what is needed. I suspect it will be the same on iPhone.

Anyway, I bought the cable from your first link, just for fun. It will arrive in a few weeks, and then I can test it out with my PM3.

MPx
2k Poster

Post by MPx » January 28th, 2019, 1:46 pm

From the UK I bought one direct from Liverowing in the States https://liverowing.com/store/ which was still expensive but included the cradle. Not sure exactly what pinning is required, but just having the right shaped plugs on the end isn't good enough...as I learned to my cost with a lightening to 30pin adaptor.
Mike - 61 HWT 183