Model C stored in damp conservatory - help required on bringing back to life!

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
stuartlea1
Paddler

Model C stored in damp conservatory - help required on bringing back to life!

Post by stuartlea1 » April 14th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Hi,

My Model C has been in a damp conservatory for a year without any use. I'm coming back to it and my times are horrendous. Is it just me (possibly :o ) or is there a good chance than I'm battling grinding/rusty bearings? I've oiled the chain but that alone didn't made any difference. Any experience with reviving unloved C2's would be appreciated. Shall I just replace the bearing + chain as a matter of course? Thanks, Stuart

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Re: Model C stored in damp conservatory - help required on bringing back to life

Post by jackarabit » April 14th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Conservatory is? Room with a piano and a brass telescope? Potting shed? I’ve always wanted to ask.

How long does the flywheel take to coast to a stop after a hearty pull? Is there an audible grinding sound? I doubt the two axle bearings have rusted unless the conservatory is absolutely dripping. 1-way clutch bearing is doing its job? Is the monitor functional?

In any event, the two mains, a chain and sprocket and sprocket removal tool, and a new chain return shock cord won’t break your piggy bank so make your own appraisal of condition and cost:effectiveness ratio and your aptitude and experience of the mechanical arts and get cracking. Information regarding dis assembly and dat assembly and probably mis assembly at Concept 2 homepage.

I suppose it could be that both you and your machine are rusty and need an overhaul?
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_71_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Model C stored in damp conservatory - help required on bringing back to life!

Post by Citroen » April 14th, 2019, 5:01 pm

https://www.brainscape.com/blog/2014/10 ... k-english/ has a good explanation of a "Sun room" (aka Conservatory aka "back porch") joined on to the rear of an Englishman's house. It would usually have a glass roof to protect us from the wet weather in April and the hot sun in June.

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Re: Model C stored in damp conservatory - help required on bringing back to life!

Post by jackarabit » April 14th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Thank you Doug. Similar to my old school chums’ place in Fareham.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_71_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log