Buying an Model B in 2019

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
thomasbaerten
Paddler

Buying an Model B in 2019

Post by thomasbaerten » April 15th, 2019, 7:59 am

Hey Guys,

Have been looking around the forum for a couple weeks now.
I'm a crossfitter but would like a rower for some extra workouts at home. (2 times per week + warming up before my morning mobility)

I don't have the budget for a new machine and was looking for a secondhand rower.
I found a Model B with a PM2. Is it still a good option in 2019?

More specific:
- Is the "feeling" the same as a model D/E?
- Also: is there is difference in effort-readout with the newer models? So can a 2min/500m on an Model B be compared with a 2min/500m on a newer machine?

And what is a Mdoel B worth? If it's in good condition?

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Buying an Model B in 2019

Post by Citroen » April 15th, 2019, 11:17 am

thomasbaerten wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 7:59 am

And what is a Mdoel B worth? If it's in good condition?
What currency units?
GBP£100.00 == USD$130.00 == EUR€115,00

Cyclist2
6k Poster

Post by Cyclist2 » April 15th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Lots of variables in any answer.
thomasbaerten wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 7:59 am
- Is the "feeling" the same as a model D/E?
- Also: is there is difference in effort-readout with the newer models? So can a 2min/500m on an Model B be compared with a 2min/500m on a newer machine?
I have a model B with a PM2. Works fine, and has for over 30 years with only minimal maintenance. The PM2 can't capture all the data that the newer PMs can, so if you're looking for all the stats and memory functions, it is not the one. However, the pace per 500 is comparable to the newer PMs, so you can compare that directly. The rower itself feels close to the same as my model C, but I've added a piece of hardboard to the side of the fan to reduce the drag factor to get it closer.

If you're looking for a basic workout at home that feels similar to the machines at the box, then a B will do the trick. I'd check it out closely, though, because it is getting old and could be in rough shape. There are lots of postings on eBay, craigslist, etc. for rowers, so you might be able to find a good deal on a model C or D with a PM3/4/5 that would suit your needs. Also, the model B is a lot louder so I don't use it as much any more.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » April 15th, 2019, 2:33 pm

I agree with Cyclist2's post.
My estimate for a model B with pm2 (the best C2 monitor) in good working condition is USD$75 to USD$150.
You can dampen the sound quite a bit by using roofing paper or truck tire innertube zip tied to the side and perimeter.
In that case the sound and drag factor is very close to the later models.
72, 5'8", 155lbs
Let's add a pace (watts) per weight option to the rankings.
my training log

Ombrax
2k Poster

Post by Ombrax » April 15th, 2019, 7:51 pm

I wouldn't worry about the PM2 being "low tech" compared the more recent models - if you're trying to save a few bucks that's a good place to do it and for basic workouts it will be fine.

As long as the rower and the PM are in decent shape and the price is reasonable given their condition you'll be able to get what you need from them. Finally, C2 does a good job of supporting it's older products, so if you need to replace anything, chances are they'll be able to help. (see link below)

https://shop.concept2.com/56-model-b

Good Luck

Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » April 16th, 2019, 2:15 am

Its a Museum piece, get a Model C or Model D.

There was some BIG changes going from the B to the C like fully adjustable Drag Factor. If you intend to use it on a regular basis then get a later model rower.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

thomasbaerten
Paddler

Post by thomasbaerten » April 17th, 2019, 4:26 am

Thanks for all the answers!
The seller hasn't replied yet. If I can get it for 100-150 euros and it's in good shape i'm going to buy it.
If not, I'll save up for a model C or D :-)

Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » April 17th, 2019, 7:04 pm

You want to see that PM2 working, if its not working then by the time you factor in the cost of a new PM5 monitor on top its no longer worth it.

You can put the PM2 in test mode by pressing both the "READY" and "DISPLAY" buttons at the same time.

All the display segments need to work and all the buttons need to work when you press them.
Carl Watts.

thomasbaerten
Paddler

Post by thomasbaerten » April 18th, 2019, 5:35 am

Carl Watts wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 7:04 pm
You want to see that PM2 working, if its not working then by the time you factor in the cost of a new PM5 monitor on top its no longer worth it.

You can put the PM2 in test mode by pressing both the "READY" and "DISPLAY" buttons at the same time.

All the display segments need to work and all the buttons need to work when you press them.
Great tip! Seller still has not responded :(

Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » April 18th, 2019, 4:51 pm

You can also ask him what version of PM2 he has. Its printed inside the battery compartment.

Nothing printed, its the first version of the PM2 ever made that I call the "CAP-E" version because that is often printed elsewhere on the board.

It then moved on to the Rev 1.6, 1.7, 2.0, 2.1 or the 2.3 versions. The last version made the Rev 2.3 is "Gold", quite literally as it has the gold plated button contacts and also dropped one of the most unreliable semi-conductors on the board. This monitor will go forever if you put a set of Lithium AA batteries in it that also don't leak acid.Leaking batteries is what causes 95% of the problems with the PM2, otherwise its the most reliable Concept 2 monitor made.
Carl Watts.