Polar OH1 heart rate monitor and PM5

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
tesseracts
Paddler

Polar OH1 heart rate monitor and PM5

Post by tesseracts » March 11th, 2019, 6:17 pm

For anyone who is interested, I tried out the polar oh1 heart rate monitor (the arm band) with my PM5 and ergdata. I wasn't sure if I would be able to connect the HR monitor and my phone to the PM5 since they both use Bluetooth. But I was able to!
But it only worked if I first connected ergdata on my phone to the PM5. And then I turned on the HR monitor and connected it to the PM5.

Garyvrck
Paddler

Re: Polar OH1 heart rate monitor and PM5

Post by Garyvrck » May 23rd, 2019, 8:49 pm

Do you find the OH1 to be accurate?

I've been using my Garmin VivoActive 3 but it is very unreliable for rowing. It takes forever for my heart rate to rise on the watch even though I know it is pounding!!

Thus I'm trying to decide between the Polar H10 strap or this Polar OH1 monitor.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Gary

jrpeiso
Paddler

Post by jrpeiso » July 2nd, 2019, 4:45 pm

I've been using the OH1 for the last month or so and it works great.

gregsmith01748
10k Poster

Post by gregsmith01748 » July 3rd, 2019, 7:02 pm

Garyvrck wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 8:49 pm
Do you find the OH1 to be accurate?

I've been using my Garmin VivoActive 3 but it is very unreliable for rowing. It takes forever for my heart rate to rise on the watch even though I know it is pounding!!

Thus I'm trying to decide between the Polar H10 strap or this Polar OH1 monitor.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Gary
I found it to be very accurate. I’ve been using it for a couple years now. The thing I like most is rechargability and an on/off switch.
https://analytics.rowsandall.com/2017/0 ... or-rowing/
Greg

alien878
Paddler

Post by alien878 » July 4th, 2019, 9:30 am

tesseracts wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 6:17 pm
For anyone who is interested, I tried out the polar oh1 heart rate monitor (the arm band) with my PM5 and ergdata. I wasn't sure if I would be able to connect the HR monitor and my phone to the PM5 since they both use Bluetooth. But I was able to!
But it only worked if I first connected ergdata on my phone to the PM5. And then I turned on the HR monitor and connected it to the PM5.
I have an OH1 and haven't experienced this using ergdata on the iphone. I did find I needed a USB stick in the PM5 so it remembered the connection. Also, I made sure that the OH1 was not registered in the phone's bluetooth list (not sure if this is necessary, but it made things simpler to know the OH1 always connected to the PM5 and never the phone).

Something else: the OH1 now supports ANT+ with a firmware update. I haven't tried it, cuz if it works, don't mess with it. If nothing else helps, you might try ANT+.

I have no complaints with the accuracy of the OH1. It does seem to do some aggressive averaging to smooth things out, but I think that is typical of most monitors.

Garyvrck
Paddler

Post by Garyvrck » July 29th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Great article that you provided Greg!!

I purchased the OH1 and have successfully used it with my rower and BikeErg in conjunction with my iPhone and both the ErgData app as well as the Polar Beat app. I’ve compared accuracy with my old heart straps and there is excellent correlation.

Overall I’m very happy with it!

Cheers,
Gary

bisqeet
10k Poster

Post by bisqeet » July 30th, 2019, 4:32 am

i have quite a lot of HR monitors... not sure why, pretty sure my wife doesnt know about them all.

anyway - i also have the oh1 and used it with several others to compare.

i found it to be as accurate as the H7/Garmin HRM Tri within a certain tolerance band.
Suprisingly enough the Apple watch 4 showed similar trends and was overall quite good.

The vivoactive was ok-ish, but wouldnt like to base any training on it.
Dean
2017 Season: 196cm / 92kg : M49
Training Log - ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ -Blog
~seven days without rowing makes one weak~