Broken screen?

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
Markus
Paddler

Broken screen?

Post by Markus » July 3rd, 2019, 5:22 pm

Hi.

Tried to find answer in previouse questions, but couldnt find any.

My LCD screen is black in some places, like it is black fluid inside the screen. Is it possible to fix it? Must I buy a new LCD screen? Must I buy a whole new monitor? I got a used one, so I dont know if someone smashed the screen.

I have dismantled the monitor. So I can see that it is black between the screens. I tried to seperate the screens, but it seems like it is glued together.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Broken screen?

Post by Citroen » July 3rd, 2019, 5:32 pm

Your only options are a replacement LCD or a replacement PM5.

Markus
Paddler

Post by Markus » July 4th, 2019, 2:31 pm

What would you do? Is it hard to change the LCD screen?

Allan Olesen
2k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » July 4th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Which model PM do you have?

For the PM3 or PM4, a new, original LCD screen is 36.50€ on the German site. I would expect the price in $ on the US site to be the same or a little less.

https://shop-de.concept2.com/ersatzteil ... 3pm4.html

I don't know if it is also available for the PM5. There is light in the screen on the PM5, so if that is part of the LCD, it might be more expensive.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » July 4th, 2019, 4:30 pm

The screen on the PM3/PM4 is a simple four screws, one ribbon connector, one new screen, one ribbon connector, four screws fix. Takes ten minutes.

I've never opened the case on a PM5.

Markus
Paddler

Post by Markus » July 11th, 2019, 10:24 am

I have the PM2.

Sounds like I should find and buy just a LCD screen.

It seems difficult to just remove the LCD screen to let the rubbon connector stay left. When i lift the screen the rubber follows the screen.

Anth_F
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Anth_F » July 11th, 2019, 3:19 pm

I'd personally not bother faffing about with the broken PM2. Just invest in a more up to date monitor :idea:
42yo male 5'10 78kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22 30min 7518m

My goals are simply to keep fit/get fitter and continue to enjoy rowing on the C2 :)

https://log.concept2.com/log

Markus
Paddler

Post by Markus » July 11th, 2019, 5:10 pm

So I can buy a PM 2 / 3 / 4 / 5? Plug in and train?

Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » July 11th, 2019, 6:57 pm

The PM2 is an excellent monitor, I'm still repairing loads of them. they typically only ever fail when the flat batteries are left in them and the batteries leak.

It should be clearly noted that there are TWO different screens for the PM2.

The first ever version came with a screen that had a different electrical connection configuration. I call this the "CAP-E" version or the "Heartrate" version because there is nothing printed inside the battery compartment but you may find "CAP-E" printed on the board if you remove the rear cover. The display itself looks the same to the user except it has "Heartrate" come up rather that a heart symbol of the later versions.

The later versions have any of the following revision numbers, V1.6, V1.7, V2.0, V2.1, V2.3 printed in the battery compartment.

The two displays ARE NOT interchangeable and the display will remain BLANK if you try and fit the wrong one.

Concept 2 in the USA no longer sells the first version so if you smash it, your the monitor is scrap. They still sell the second version on the USA C2 website.

Your PM2 monitor will still be working for a long time to come if you either never store the rower with flat batteries left in it or you put in a set of Lithium AA batteries. Still my favorite monitor as it can be repaired no matter what.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » July 12th, 2019, 1:41 am

I take it you are not already an oarsman. In this case, suggest you try rowing without the monitor. Keep going for 20-30 minutes, pulling a long stroke with reasonable force: that's how boats are moved.

If you have a clock, you can see how many strokes you pull per minute. Keep it around 20 - 24. Start short (5 minutes) if unfit, but try to pull effective strokes.

If you don't work up a sweat, pull harder, longer strokes.

There are videos that show how rowing is done, if you have any doubts. If it feels hard, you're doing it right.

Low drag and low feet make it possible to row well.
78y, 188cm, 87kg, last seen MHR 163. 2k (24 May 19) 8.46.6@22

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » July 12th, 2019, 7:33 am

Anth_F wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 3:19 pm
I'd personally not bother faffing about with the broken PM2. Just invest in a more up to date monitor :idea:
This is the best answer in this thread. There's no value in repairing an old PM2, mail it overseas to Carl for his collection of spare parts and buy a new PM5.

Markus
Paddler

Post by Markus » July 12th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Best forum ever. So much knowledge. I will browse a little more on the inernet, then deside. Anyways, thanks guys!

tomasio
Paddler

Post by tomasio » August 14th, 2019, 12:35 am

Carl Watts wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 6:57 pm
The PM2 is an excellent monitor, I'm still repairing loads of them. they typically only ever fail when the flat batteries are left in them and the batteries leak.
[...]
Mine just stopped working. I love the simplicity of the PM2, and don't want to upgrade to the newer ones.

How do I go about reaching out to you for a possible repair? I'm a noob on the forums, so I don't have DM privileges yet.

Cheers,
Dale

Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » August 14th, 2019, 3:14 am

Hi Dale,

As your in Canada, a new PM5 should be pretty cheap by international standards. I only repair them over here because the local price of a new PM5 allows me to do it.

Typically battery leakage and corrosion kills the PM2 or it would pretty much last forever. I would say 95% of the problems with them is battery leakage.

Recently I started re-manufacturing complete new PM2's by hand soldering all the components onto a brand new PCB.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log