Plastic ring on Sprocket broken

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
shama1
Paddler

Plastic ring on Sprocket broken

Post by shama1 » September 10th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Hi all,
I have a C2 Model D with bout 2m metres. Last night, suddenly the chain started making a clickety crunching noise.
When I investigated, I found that part of the plastic ring on the sprocket had broken off and that was the cause. I got a tweezers and removed the 2cm or so part of the plastic ring.
I have a few questions;
Is it okay to continue rowing with this piece of plastic missing from the sprocket?
If not, and if I need to replace the sprocket, do I have to replace the chain also?
Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Ombrax
5k Poster

Re: Plastic ring on Sprocket broken

Post by Ombrax » September 10th, 2019, 3:18 pm

I haven't had that issue, so can't provide any first-hand experience, but I can tell you that the C2 folks are both friendly and helpful. Give them a call and see what they say.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » September 10th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Since you're in the UK call C2UK on 0115 934 0140. In Europe (and the rudderless, ungovernable UK for, at least, this month and next) you get a two year warranty.

Allan Olesen
2k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » September 11th, 2019, 2:30 am

As far as I know, the plastic ring was added for silencing the chain. So it is probably a bit louder now - like the old model C, which didn't have the plastic ring.

The general rule of sprockets and chains in cycling is:
If the chain is so worn that its length has increased, then you need to replace chain and sprocket together.
The reason is that the worn chain will form a new wear pattern in the sprocket teeth to better fit the length of the chain, and this wear pattern will cause the new chain to skip.
This rule is usually applied when pairing a new chain with an old sprocket. I have never tried it the other way around - pairing a new sprocket with an old chain.

Anyway, if your rower has only 2000 km on it, and you have kept the chain lubricated, then I am pretty sure that there is no significant length extension on the chain, so you should be safe only changing the sprocket.

If you buy a new sprocket, remember to buy a sprocket removal tool with it. It is not very expensive, but it makes the job much easier. The tool is a big hex nut with a flywheel clutch inside. You slide it over the axle and use a ring spanner, a pair of vices or whatever you have available to hold the nut. This will prevent the axle from turning while you unscrew the sprocket from the axle. (I don't think there is a similar tool for the unscrewing. I used polygrip pliers on the sprocket.)

shama1
Paddler

Post by shama1 » September 11th, 2019, 4:52 am

Thanks so much - very helpful !

The additional noise & vibration is barely noticeable but I will get a new sprocket and tool and change it out when I get a chance.

Thanks again!

S

Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » September 11th, 2019, 4:55 am

You would be pushed to ever wear out a sprocket on a home machine. Unlike a bike its no subject to grit and water so it should last forever.

Mine just "polish up" and actually get a bit quieter with a little wear. As long as you oil the chain even once a year its going to go and go.

The missing green ring will however be a bit of a problem so unfortunately its time for a new sprocket.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

shama1
Paddler

Post by shama1 » September 11th, 2019, 8:55 am

Thanks Carl!
It is a home machine and very well maintained.. cleaned (wiped) after every use and chain oiled about once every two months when in use.
I suppose I am one of those who fall off the wagon and may not row for 4-6 months before taking it up again with vigour. :D
Maybe this inconsistent use has caused the plastic ring on the sprocket to fail.
Anyway, I will change the sprocket and hope that it doesn't happen again!
Cheers!