Locking erg - left on semi-enclosed verandah

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
Deeray
Paddler

Locking erg - left on semi-enclosed verandah

Post by Deeray » March 19th, 2020, 9:27 pm

Hi guys,

Just bought a model to use on my home verandah. It’s semi-covered and I have an outdoor bag for it.

Does anyone know of the best way to padlock it? Every way I can see can be easily circumvented by using the star-screwdriver...

Any ideas? Welding security points on top and bottom parts maybe?

Cheers

David

Ombrax
6k Poster

Re: Locking erg - left on semi-enclosed verandah

Post by Ombrax » March 20th, 2020, 3:55 am

I'm sure you've thought of this, but I have to ask just the same - are you 100% sure that you can't keep it inside?

They truly are very easy to move around (unless you have to take them up or down stairs) and when tilted on end take up very little floor space.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » March 20th, 2020, 6:11 am

Ombrax wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 3:55 am
They truly are very easy to move around (unless you have to take them up or down stairs) and when tilted on end take up very little floor space.
It's a safety hazard to have an unbroken ergo standing on its nose. Take the monorail off it takes a few seconds to disconnect and reconnect that.
Deeray wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 9:27 pm
Does anyone know of the best way to padlock it? Every way I can see can be easily circumvented by using the star-screwdriver...
There are no loops in the frame that can't be unscrewed. Time to light up your MIG welder.

CJOttawa
500m Poster

Post by CJOttawa » March 20th, 2020, 9:39 am

Keep it indoors.

If your ceilings are high enough (10+feet) you can use a Rogue hanger: https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-row-hanger-black
Breaking it down takes only a few seconds so that's an option too.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » March 21st, 2020, 2:10 am

An eye-bolt or two in something heavy such as the house or a ton of concrete should be enough to stop unplanned thievery. Time to escape with the swag is the criterion. Better protection than that needs it to be invisible and no more accessible than anything else in the house.
78y, 188cm, 87kg, last seen MHR 159. 2k (2019-11-29) 8.33.8@23

drill_and_phil
Paddler

Post by drill_and_phil » March 24th, 2020, 3:23 pm

Citroen wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 6:11 am
It's a safety hazard to have an unbroken ergo standing on its nose. Take the monorail off it takes a few seconds to disconnect and reconnect that.
I'm a little confused on this. I stored my model D upright for 8 years upright and it never had any problems with tipping. Unless you have a kid running around trying to use it as a ladder, I don't see how this is a problem. When I rowed in college, we would always store our C2's upright (think 80+ of these) and I don't think I ever saw them go down, even if someone bumped into them.
Go Dawgs

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » March 24th, 2020, 3:36 pm

drill_and_phil wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 3:23 pm
Citroen wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 6:11 am
I'm a little confused on this. I stored my model D upright for 8 years upright and it never had any problems with tipping. Unless you have a kid running around trying to use it as a ladder, I don't see how this is a problem. When I rowed in college, we would always store our C2's upright (think 80+ of these) and I don't think I ever saw them go down, even if someone bumped into them.
Why take a risk for two seconds of effort? There's enough out in the world that's going to kill us, don't add another unnecessary hazard.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » March 26th, 2020, 1:19 am

Basic safety rule is what can happen will.
78y, 188cm, 87kg, last seen MHR 159. 2k (2019-11-29) 8.33.8@23

MPx
2k Poster

Post by MPx » March 26th, 2020, 7:36 am

Citroen wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 3:36 pm
Why take a risk for two seconds of effort?
I don't take that approach to risk. Avoiding risk at any "cost" I find too stifling. I rarely try to avoid risks that might, but actually never do/have, happen[ed]. I don't go through life looking at the worst possible outcomes.

By way of example, ever since mobile phones have been in use we have been told to switch them off when filling our car fuel tanks. The risk is clearly that if the volatile elements are present near our pockets at exactly the moment that some sort of spark occurs in the phone then there will be a traumatic event. Nearly all of us have been carrying phones for many years. Hardly anyone actually turns them off while refueling. I have never heard of such a disaster actually happening despite the literally billions of opportunities that there must have been over the years. This brings doubt into my mind that it even "could" happen, but even if I accept that, the probability is clearly so low that even a modest action (switching the thing off and turning it on again later) is a higher cost than I (and most of the rest of the population) am(are) prepared to bear. And now - right next to the official sign on the pump saying turn your phone off is a bigger official sign saying use your phone app to use pay and go...
Mike - 62 HWT 183

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » March 26th, 2020, 7:48 am

MPx wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 7:36 am
By way of example, ever since mobile phones have been in use we have been told to switch them off when filling our car fuel tanks. The risk is clearly that if the volatile elements are present near our pockets at exactly the moment that some sort of spark occurs in the phone then there will be a traumatic event.
Oh dear, you need to read https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fuelish-pleasures/ then take a look at the episode of Mythbusters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjrkwxMhc4s

MPx
2k Poster

Post by MPx » March 26th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Thanks Dougie - those links were interesting and pretty convincing that there is no risk (just as I thought). So why does every petrol pump in the UK still have a "turn your phone off" sign on it??? Madness! Sorry to have wandered off topic.
Mike - 62 HWT 183

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » March 26th, 2020, 7:40 pm

MPx wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 7:26 pm
Thanks Dougie - those links were interesting and pretty convincing that there is no risk (just as I thought). So why does every petrol pump in the UK still have a "turn your phone off" sign on it??? Madness! Sorry to have wandered off topic.
Mostly, because there's an extreme ignorance of science and evidence based medicine here in Blighty.

When my new car gets delivered I won't have to be concerned about filling a dirty smelly ICE with any sort of liquid fuel. That one will be connected to a type2 or CCS socket when it needs more electrons (or a 3-pin plug and a granny charger if I'm desperate).

MPx
2k Poster

Post by MPx » March 27th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Yeah...we've got an i3 - hope you enjoy your EV as much.
Mike - 62 HWT 183

silver
Paddler

Post by silver » March 29th, 2020, 6:10 am

Maybe buy a few plastic coated steel cables similar to those used to lock up bicycles, and try to wrap them around the rower in a way in which they can not simply be removed? Kryptonite make a 30 feet long cable with a 10mm braided steel core for about £20-£30 in the UK. A few of these linked together should wrap around the whole Concept2 rower in a way which would be difficult to remove.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kryptonite-Kry ... m?sku=9419
https://www.evanscycles.com/kryptonite- ... x-00104645
Aiming to start Pete's Beginner Plan soon

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » March 29th, 2020, 6:28 am

silver wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 6:10 am
Maybe buy a few plastic coated steel cables similar to those used to lock up bicycles, and try to wrap them around the rower in a way in which they can not simply be removed? Kryptonite make a 30 feet long cable with a 10mm braided steel core for about £20-£30 in the UK. A few of these linked together should wrap around the whole Concept2 rower in a way which would be difficult to remove.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kryptonite-Kry ... m?sku=9419
https://www.evanscycles.com/kryptonite- ... x-00104645
If you break the ergo in two at the framelock then unscrew the legs your suggestion just describes the problem that Deeray is trying to solve. Sorry, it won't work.