Brand New RoweErg - Flywheel or Chain Noise? Help appreciated!

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
whippet_1
Paddler

Brand New RoweErg - Flywheel or Chain Noise? Help appreciated!

Post by whippet_1 » April 15th, 2021, 6:30 pm

Hello Everyone

I just took delivery of a Concept2 Rowerg model (the new model D, which I believe is just a rename)

Anyway, right away after assembly I noticed it produces a noise I don't believe is normal. I can't seem to pinpoint it and support although they've been responsive seems to point me to areas I know are not the issue (e.g. flywheel housing screws, ASAT screw, generator screw)

To me there appears to be a correlation between the chain and bearing, I've attached some videos to give more reference. Holding the handle high dulls / almost eliminates the noise (example in video)

Any help would be appreciated. I waited a long time to finally get my hands on this only to be met with feelings of dismay as I'm not sure if continued use will be a bad idea.

https://i.imgur.com/L2QJmyu.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/9yMWpC8.mp4

Cyclist2
6k Poster

Re: Brand New RoweErg - Flywheel or Chain Noise? Help appreciated!

Post by Cyclist2 » April 15th, 2021, 9:48 pm

That almost sounds like the freewheel on my bike when coasting. When it is engaged (when pedaling, or in the erg's case during the drive) there is no noise. I've never heard that on an erg - I just tried mine - but it is noticeable on all my bikes to various degrees. Might be the clutch bearing. Perhaps it will go away with use (?)

Maybe Carl will chime in, he's the resident clutch bearing guru. Stay tuned.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

Rick
Paddler

Post by Rick » April 16th, 2021, 10:03 am

That’s not normal. I suggest you contact Concept 2 directly and share the videos with them. They’re a quality company who stand behind what they sell to their customers.
C2 Padawan

whippet_1
Paddler

Post by whippet_1 » April 16th, 2021, 10:53 am

Thanks for the comments so far.

All of the videos and play-by-play troubleshooting have also been shared with Concept2. At this time, their tentative conclusion is a scratched axle on the polished surface that the flywheel spins on.

Nevertheless this isn't a certainty, and for that reason, they have offered to provide a fulll front-half replacement. I honestly see this as the best course of action, and appreciate their quick response and turnaround.

I hope someone is still able to pinpoint the root cause, for reference and who may not have the same course of action I did.

mict450
6k Poster

Post by mict450 » April 16th, 2021, 6:11 pm

whippet_1 wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 10:53 am

...they have offered to provide a fulll front-half replacement. I honestly see this as the best course of action, and appreciate their quick response and turnaround.
Concept 2 to the rescue!! Best dang customer service on the planet! Maybe a good idea to stay in touch with them to find out what the cause of your problem was & inform the rest of us.
Eric, YOB:1954
Shasta County, CA, small town USA

whippet_1
Paddler

Post by whippet_1 » April 16th, 2021, 9:22 pm

mict450 wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 6:11 pm

Concept 2 to the rescue!! Best dang customer service on the planet! Maybe a good idea to stay in touch with them to find out what the cause of your problem was & inform the rest of us.

I'll be sure to do that! If this is a first, I wouldn't be surprised. I scoured the net and while I do see the odd pulley, chain noise, etc, I haven't come across anything like this at all.

Rick
Paddler

Post by Rick » April 17th, 2021, 10:29 pm

I’m glad they’re taking good care of you. Great service on their part! I'll check back for updates.
C2 Padawan