PM5 on model C - setting changes itself

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
Ridgers
Paddler

PM5 on model C - setting changes itself

Post by Ridgers » May 3rd, 2021, 8:28 am

I have a Model C with a PM5 (quite new) all latest updates implemented.

All the time I have had it very occasionally the settings will switch mid row from Models C to Model D.

I have tried two new sensors, checked everything that the C2 site says to do, no change.

It seems to happen most during Intervals, immediately on starting a repeat interval and starting with a powerful first pull.

Doing the marathon challenge I was at 20k stopped for a quick drink and then got back on pulled a “full on” stroke and it flipped to Model D. - I knew because my wattage had moved from around 140 to 30-40 and my split was no longer 2.18 it was something like 4. :x pretty annoying to say the least.

I did have had the monitor checked in C2 UK but it came up with nothing.

Any thoughts?

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: PM5 on model C - setting changes itself

Post by Citroen » May 3rd, 2021, 9:09 am

Write an email to info@oncept2.com, it sounds like a hardware fault and should be covered under a warranty replacement.

mict450
6k Poster

Post by mict450 » May 4th, 2021, 1:14 am

Ridgers wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 8:28 am

All the time I have had it very occasionally the settings will switch mid row from Models C to Model D.
Didn't know this was a thing. Hope you get it sorted out.
Eric, YOB:1954
Shasta County, CA, small town USA

Ridgers
Paddler

Post by Ridgers » May 6th, 2021, 2:54 pm

Thanks
- I’ve contacted C2 - I’ll post an answer if one is found

Tsnor
1k Poster

Post by Tsnor » May 15th, 2021, 1:24 pm

I can't imagine anything more aggravating --> "Doing the marathon challenge I was at 20k stopped for a quick drink and then got back on pulled a “full on” stroke and it flipped to Model D. - I knew because my wattage had moved from around 140 to 30-40 and my split was no longer 2.18 it was something like 4."

So whatever the result, sympathy for the PM5 going wonky. Mine has been flawless. I'd chuck in new batteries just because you really hope its low voltage vs an intermittent HW fail.

Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » May 16th, 2021, 12:22 am

You probably got a PM5 for the Model D rather than a PM5 retrofit kit for the Model C.

Even though you can configure the PM5 to suit the rower, you cannot change the "Default" version of the PM5.

If the PM5 resets or glitches like the earlier PM3 monitors do sometimes when the batteries are flat, it will revert to the default factory setting.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the case with the PM5, but I'm 100% sure this is the case with the PM3 retrofit kit. The monitor even has a big round black & white "C" sticker on the back of it.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log