Dirt on rollers

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
Noseve
Paddler

Re: Dirt on rollers

Post by Noseve » June 26th, 2019, 7:00 am

Just checked my rollers for the first time - brand new c2 two weeks and 90k ago - no flakes or pits, just a couple of light black smears. We live out in the sticks - filthy dust everywhere, constantly cleaning - yet nothing like the contamination that I had expected to find, reading this thread. Up to this point, I have just been running a cotton paper towel/Windowlene over the rail after each session, with barely anything picked up by it. The lower rollers were pristine.

I am 170lbs, which may minimise the build-up, perhaps?

One less-than-obvious thing to consider, for those who seem to suffer the worst, is the possibility of static in your workout room. Although rather pricey, a couple of small anti-static mats could be worth a try (or one, divided as necessary).

Just a thought.
170lbs, 5ft 11in, 57 years old - C2 purchased June 2019

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » June 26th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Apart from the three days of summer in the UK, you don't need anti-static mats. The weather is too bleeding wet normally. We're not in the Gobi Desert Rowing club.

Noseve
Paddler

Post by Noseve » June 26th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Citroen wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 12:05 pm
We're not in the Gobi Desert Rowing club.
Neither are any of my clients, but a couple of them suffered from servers/workstations misbehaving seemingly randomly, which when the cause was tracked down was solved by anti-static mats to offset the effects of oblivious rogue employees.

Static is not temperature-dependent.

Anyway, my suggestion was no more than that. If a rower is suffering from abnormal amounts of build-up, there is every likelihood that the cause may be something uncommon.
170lbs, 5ft 11in, 57 years old - C2 purchased June 2019

Bob Evans
Paddler

Post by Bob Evans » July 30th, 2019, 11:25 am

FWIW, I've been putting a FEW drops of baby oil on either side of the rail where the white wheels roll for about two months with very satisfactory results. The seat rolls smoother. The seat will roll on its own to the forward position. The white rollers clean up pretty well which I clean after every session with a shop-quality paper towel, along with wiping down the rail, on which there is very little residual oil. And the best part is "oiling the rail" has taken 10 seconds off my splits. Okay, that's an utterly preposterous lie! But the seat does feel better.

Bob Evans
Indiana Dunes

Allan Olesen
2k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » July 30th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Bob Evans wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 11:25 am
The seat will roll on its own to the forward position.
Errh... Won't it always do that?

I think I have only once seen a C2 in so bad shape that the seat didn't roll forward on its own.

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » July 31st, 2019, 9:06 am

Bananas on slipways reduce sliding friction in sheer with the cradles of boats at launching. Why not use bananas as C2 seat roller lube? :lol: Because the rollers are rollers and the “slide” is not a slide :!: Rolling friction is reduced at the interface (bearing) of roller bore on axle circumference. No (s)kidding! :roll:
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_72_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

Anth_F
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Anth_F » August 1st, 2019, 6:06 am

Allan Olesen wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 5:29 pm
Bob Evans wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 11:25 am
The seat will roll on its own to the forward position.
Errh... Won't it always do that?

Should do!

I found a way for my rollers to stop building up that black junk!!! i no longer need to clean them each time :D Now i just give the monorail a quick wipe after every few sessions.

It seems when the rollers are perfectly cleaned their surface texture has a tendency to quickly attract that black crap and build up clumps of it. So after each session the monorail ends up full of black marks, and a thick buildup of black crud on the rollers. At least thats what was happening on my erg after each session. But not now if i just leave the rollers alone with just a smidgen of surface dirt on... they don't build up any crap that way, and the monorail stays nice unmarked until after maybe 3 or 4 sessions, and even then the marks are only faint and just a couple. I can imagine that using oil of any kind on them will be a nightmare to keep the crud away.
42yo male 5'10 78kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22 30min 7518m

My goals are simply to keep fit/get fitter and continue to enjoy rowing on the C2 :)

https://log.concept2.com/log

Bob Evans
Paddler

Post by Bob Evans » August 21st, 2019, 7:51 pm

All I can report is what has worked for me in NW Indiana! Prior to using a few drops of baby oil, I would clean the rail and rollers with window cleaner and terry cloth rag after every session. Even though the rail looked perfectly clean, the rollers were not and made for a slightly rough ride. And no, the seat would not roll back to the forward position on its own. BTW, I had about 500km on the erg when the seat started sticking; I use it indoors in a clean, climate controlled room -- so pretty ideal conditions. Since using the baby oil, the seat rolls forward on its own and more importantly is smooth while erging. I clean the rollers and rail after every session with paper towel. In the scheme of things this is all kind of minor but anything I can reasonably do to enhance the erg experience, I'll do. But as they say, YMMV.