Saving workouts without internet at all

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
GoolsbyMD
Paddler

Saving workouts without internet at all

Post by GoolsbyMD » January 20th, 2018, 10:13 pm

Long story short, I have a Model D at home that recently began rowing on and I have to go out to sea for a bit with the US Navy. The ship I’m on has multiple Model Ds PM5s that I can use. I have an 8GB USB drive to store my workouts, as I’ve read. Now here’s the issues the rowers are obliviously open to all hands and there is no allowable way to send any data over WiFi or connect to a LAN. Can I simply store all my workouts by plugging in the USB before each workout and it will create a “queue” to upload when i get home/WiFi?

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Saving workouts without internet at all

Post by Citroen » January 21st, 2018, 2:12 am

Yes. That's the whole reason for the USB support being built-in to the PM5 (it replaces the old 32KB PM3/PM4 logcard). You can easily get about 256 years (or more) worth of daily rowing data on a USB stick.

Upload at home with http://www.concept2.com/service/softwar ... t2-utility which reads your USB stick.

You could also use Ergdata on an offline cell phone and it will store workouts in the non-volatile eMMC storage on your phone until you upload later.

GoolsbyMD
Paddler

Post by GoolsbyMD » January 21st, 2018, 3:38 pm

Citroen wrote:You could also use Ergdata on an offline cell phone and it will store workouts in the non-volatile eMMC storage on your phone until you upload later.
So if I use ErgData app on my phone, It will upload to my phone and store it till I have connectivity other than Bluetooth and won’t need the USB?

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » January 21st, 2018, 4:21 pm

GoolsbyMD wrote:
Citroen wrote:You could also use Ergdata on an offline cell phone and it will store workouts in the non-volatile eMMC storage on your phone until you upload later.
So if I use ErgData app on my phone, It will upload to my phone and store it till I have connectivity other than Bluetooth and won’t need the USB?
That's the way it should work. I'll test it on my Android phone next time I'm in the gym by disconnecting the internets.

FRiC
Paddler

Post by FRiC » January 29th, 2018, 5:46 am

ErgData will only upload the workouts if you press the "Sync" button on the Logbook page, otherwise it just keeps in the phone. It doesn't need an active Internet connection to work.

The problem with both ErgData and using an USB stick is that monitors with older firmwares may not work so well with saving data, so you may need to prepare a USB stick with the latest firmware update and either secretly update by yourself or ask permission to update.