Model C Fly wheel removal

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
njward
Paddler

Model C Fly wheel removal

Post by njward » May 11th, 2019, 3:14 am

Hello,

I'm new to rowing nd have jus been given a model C with a PM3. All seems to be working, I had to replace the shock cord and batteries for the PM3. Also PM3 did not seem to work but found a post about setting the model to a model C as the default seems to be D and now it works.

However, when I row every now and then there is a complete lack of resistance. It looks like the advise is to oil the clutch but I can't get at it. I try and remove the fly wheel but can't undo the bolt. When I try this by having a spanner on both sides the not on the opposite side always comes undone rather than the one in fly wheel side.

Can anybody advice on what I should be doing.

Thanks

Nick

Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Model C Fly wheel removal

Post by Carl Watts » May 11th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Yeah the nut on the wrong side often comes off the flywheel shaft first.

Your limited to having someone hold and try and stop the flywheel from turning while you undo the nut on the flywheel side.The shaft will come off with the flywheel but you need to disengage the chain from the sprocket and pull it all through the frame.

You can try some oil on the one way bearing once the flywheel is off but generally once they start slipping its a sign its stuffed. Very hard to replace the one way, I suspect most people in the USA just order a complete new flywheel/fan assembly.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

njward
Paddler

Re: Model C Fly wheel removal

Post by njward » May 13th, 2019, 9:30 am

Hello Carl

Thanks for responding, I was able to remove the fly wheel and cleaned and oiled the clutch. Rower seems to be behaving itself now.

Cheers!

Nick