Concept 2 D problem

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Re: Concept 2 D problem

Post by jackarabit » June 12th, 2019, 9:29 pm

James is at ease with the formulae that inform the fizzix and I most assuredly am not, but we appear to agree that the erg in question is probably in good mechanical order and that the OP is not pulling or pushing or ripping that chain with sufficient vigor to engage the clutch bearing and stop 30cm of chain running free out the hawsepipe. Haven’t seen the erg nor the erger—quien sabe? :| Suggest OP seek out an additional erg and attempt to establish if his resort to machine diagnostics is misguided.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_72_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » June 13th, 2019, 2:15 am

When my erg is out in the cold (less than 10-12C) I get an occasional stroke in which the clutch doesn't engage at all. When the weather improves, so does the erg. Once experienced this can't be confused with anything else. We can think that stiff grease is a mechanical fault, and would be if I wanted to row at -20C, but I'm not taking the machine apart if a few °C more solve it.

It's easy to take a stroke, once the flywheel is spinning, that does not engage the clutch or engages late: just take it slow. Or compare the first stroke from flywheel standstill with what happens later when it is spinning.

The OP mentioned 30cm slack; mine is about 20 cm, so he's only marginally worse at it than I am. Style can sort it.
78y, 188cm, 87kg, MHR 155. Last 2k (24 May 19) 8.46.6@22

Oizo
Paddler

Post by Oizo » June 13th, 2019, 2:19 am

Yesterday cleaned all mechanisms and oiled it, much better feeling, now chain out without friction about 10cm, so I think best choice will be just to change clutch.

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Re: Concept 2

Post by jackarabit » June 13th, 2019, 3:59 am

Oizo wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 2:19 am
Yesterday cleaned all mechanisms and oiled it, much better feeling, now chain out without friction about 10cm, so I think best choice will be just to change clutch.
Were it only so simple! :roll: Previous threads treating of the pulling and replacement of the one-way bearing (clutch) in the flywheel hub indicate an undertaking requiring an experienced machine shop mechanic and an improvised puller or a not inconsiderable outlay for a new flywheel cum bearing which is a special order part from Concept 2. Please inform yourself as to specifics and difficulties of clutch replacement and get a price on a straight swap for new flywheel before rushing in.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_72_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

Oizo
Paddler

Post by Oizo » June 13th, 2019, 4:17 am

jackarabit wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 3:59 am
Oizo wrote:
Were it only so simple! :roll: Previous threads treating of the pulling and replacement of the one-way bearing (clutch) in the flywheel hub indicate an undertaking requiring an experienced machine shop mechanic and an improvised puller or a not inconsiderable outlay for a new flywheel cum bearing which is a special order part from Concept 2. Please inform yourself as to specifics and difficulties of clutch replacement and get a price on a straight swap for new flywheel before jumping in.
Hmm, just screw out one nut at 14mm on flywheel side, take out flywheel, clutch holding on it with three torx screws. Clutch clip contains clutch itself and two bearings. Found already on eBay new assembled clutch clip with bearings, so all what you should to do, just unscrew four screws place new clutch clip and screw all back :D not a rocket science :D

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » June 13th, 2019, 4:37 am

Oizo wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 4:17 am
jackarabit wrote:
Oizo wrote:
Were it only so simple! :roll: Previous threads treating of the pulling and replacement of the one-way bearing (clutch) in the flywheel hub indicate an undertaking requiring an experienced machine shop mechanic and an improvised puller or a not inconsiderable outlay for a new flywheel cum bearing which is a special order part from Concept 2. Please inform yourself as to specifics and difficulties of clutch replacement and get a price on a straight swap for new flywheel before jumping in.
Hmm, just screw out one nut at 14mm, take out flywheel, clutch holding on it with three torx screws. Clutch clip contains clutch itself and two bearings. Found already on eBay new assembled clutch clip with bearings, so all what you should to do, just unscrew four screws place new clutch clip and screw all back :D not a rocket science :D
Guess you’re good to go,then.👍 As for this: viewtopic.php?t=158385, no doubt I was very foolish to see difficulty where there clearly is none whatsoever. Boy, is my face :oops: !

M_72_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

Oizo
Paddler

Post by Oizo » June 13th, 2019, 5:52 am

jackarabit wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 4:37 am
Oizo wrote:
jackarabit wrote:

Hmm, just screw out one nut at 14mm, take out flywheel, clutch holding on it with three torx screws. Clutch clip contains clutch itself and two bearings. Found already on eBay new assembled clutch clip with bearings, so all what you should to do, just unscrew four screws place new clutch clip and screw all back :D not a rocket science :D
Guess you’re good to go,then.👍 As for this: viewtopic.php?t=158385, no doubt I was very foolish to see difficulty where there clearly is none whatsoever. Boy, is my face :oops: !
And about flywheel balance after clutch taking off, I didn’t noticed any problems with my flywheel after assembly. Maybe just lucky me! :D

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » June 13th, 2019, 10:41 am

Oizo wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 5:52 am
jackarabit wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 4:37 am
Oizo wrote:

And about flywheel balance after clutch taking off, I didn’t noticed any problems with my flywheel after assembly. Maybe just lucky me! :D
You shouldn’t depreciate your amazing aptitude for the mechanical arts by calling it luck. You, Sir, are a bloody genius! 👏 But there was that one time, maybe more than one, when I sold myself on something I didn’t need to fix a problem I didn’t have, and so on and so forth. Maybe I was just unlucky. :D

M_72_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » June 14th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Ouzo writes:
Found already on eBay new assembled clutch clip with bearings . . . .
Seems the OP is not going to share the name of the concern or individual from whom he sourced this readymade “clip” or housing containing the one-way bearing and its companions. Take off from another c2 flywheel? Or? Not very collegial to solicit advice but withhold specifics of the eventual solution.

M_72_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

Oizo
Paddler

Post by Oizo » June 14th, 2019, 7:10 pm

jackarabit wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 12:07 pm
Ouzo writes:
Found already on eBay new assembled clutch clip with bearings . . . .
Seems the OP is not going to share the name of the concern or individual from whom he sourced this readymade “clip” or housing containing the one-way bearing and its companions. Take off from another c2 flywheel? Or? Not very collegial to solicit advice but withhold specifics of the eventual solution.
Hey! My bad, didn't know that here is allowed links at third party sellers. link is https://www.ebay.com/itm/352605224525?ul_noapp=true

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Re: Concept 2 D pro

Post by jackarabit » June 14th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Thank you for posting the link. Does indeed have a replacement hub with three tapped holes. No shipping to CONUS but a good option for clutch replacement in the UK. 👍

M_72_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

Oizo
Paddler

Re: Concept 2 D pro

Post by Oizo » June 15th, 2019, 1:24 pm

jackarabit wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 8:54 pm
Thank you for posting the link. Does indeed have a replacement hub with three tapped holes. No shipping to CONUS but a good option for clutch replacement in the UK. 👍
Strange, I've asked a seller about shipping to Finland, he says it will cost extra 12 eur.