Bump/thump from Model D rail...

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
danjewett
Paddler

Bump/thump from Model D rail...

Post by danjewett » August 18th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Over the last few weeks I've begun to feel a thump or bump coming up through the seat as I near the catch.

I thought at first that it was old or dirty rollers (I'm the original owner.) After taking everything apart, cleaning, and finally replacing the original seat rollers, the bump remains.

It eventually occurred to me that since the bump was occurring in the same location in the recovery every time it probably wasn't the rollers.

Now I think I've determined that my weight is causing the rail to flex enough that the rear feet are rotating on the hard floor just enough to cause a bump as they move. Really annoying.

Does this seem plausible? Anyone else experienced it. I've tightened down all the fasteners but now I'm thinking some sort of padding under the feet?

Cyclist2
6k Poster

Re: Bump/thump from Model D rail...

Post by Cyclist2 » August 18th, 2019, 5:07 pm

The rail itself won't flex, but the stainless steel cap on the rail may have come unglued near the catch end due to sweat getting under it. I'd check that first.

Under very hard, quick efforts (think max 100m efforts), the erg will move and maybe jump a little, but under regular rowing workouts, the feet should not come off the floor. The erg may slide if the floor is polished, but the feet wouldn't lift off and cause a thump.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

danjewett
Paddler

Re: Bump/thump from Model D rail...

Post by danjewett » August 18th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Thanks Cyclist2.

I took apart the assembly at the catch end of the rail. Two long vertical bolts holding everything together. I stared meaningfully at the parts for a few minutes and them put them all back together. It seems that may have been the issue although I couldn't see any change. The bolts were really tight to begin with but maybe something was off that re-assembling them fixed.

Cheers!