PM5 circuit board issue

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
IronPineapple
Paddler

PM5 circuit board issue

Post by IronPineapple » October 19th, 2020, 11:24 pm

New guy here with a totally non-responsive PM5. I took a look at the circuit board and while the board looks fairly pristine, I believe I found my culprit in a couple of components along the left side that are corroded. For some reason the forum isn't cooperating with my attempt to upload a photo, but it looks like R50, R49, R51, and R55 (first four in a long row along the left side of the circuit board) have corroded away. Not sure how that happened but I’m guessing some liquid got in there and did some damage. Are these resistors? If so, does anyone have any suggestions for what these are and if there might be a simple way to repair this? thanks for any suggestions.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: PM5 circuit board issue

Post by Citroen » October 20th, 2020, 4:02 am

Contact Concept2 - it should be under warranty.

Dino
6k Poster

Post by Dino » October 20th, 2020, 4:51 am

Hi - you cant upload photos as this facility is turned off. You can however host externally then embed link.
https://imgbb.com/upload is a good site to use. It will generate the code to put in your post - select the BBcode full linked option, then copy the link into your post.

It may be possible to clean off the corrosion to sort the issue (depending on the amount of damage underneath to components / tracks). If you search the forum there were some similar posts a while ago about using a mild vinegar solution. There is also a member on here who does monitor repairs who might see this post and suggest something.

I would also phone Concept2 and see what they say. They may do a monitor send away repair service. If not, nothing to lose I guess by giving it a go. I have resurrected a few things in the past by desoldering caps / resistors and popping on a new ones.... assuming you can work out what the components are. Hopefully someone else will be able to provide some more info for you.
52M HWT 18/19, 19/20, 20/21 - Team: 50Plus - Zwift Rowing
1m 326m, 500m 1:38,7, 1k 3:31.6, 2k 7:17.6, 5k 19:06.6, 6k 23:26.0, 30m 7730m, 10k 39:26.1, 60m 15025m, HM 1:25:04.7, FM 2:59:26.0, 50k 3:49:17.3

IronPineapple
Paddler

Post by IronPineapple » October 20th, 2020, 8:17 am

Here are a couple photos of the damaged bits. Unfortunately it’s not under warranty, so I’m just trying to see if there are any options other than buying a new one outright.

https://ibb.co/PG2VK2n
https://ibb.co/BK8gvMz

Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » October 20th, 2020, 11:30 pm

Anything with corrosion is problematic. The early PM2 was a double sided board and thats hard enough but the PM3 onwards are multilayer boards so tracks go open circuit internally within the board so sometimes they simply cannot be repaired if the other end never comes to the outside of the board.

The parts look like resistors as RXX number on the board indicate resistors. If its totally dead I would suggest its got more serious issues. If its one of the first hardware versions of the PM5, then I would just be keeping it for parts (screens are quite expensive) and buying a new PM5, they are now onto the 3rd Hardware version released very recently.

Chances are its stuffed, get a new one. Somehow something got into it, either spilled or environmental conditions are to blame.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log